What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
You're probably right. I was just thinking that maybe somehow Warner knew about this even before we did... but still, the turnaround on re-packaging/re-pressing the discs might be far longer than I'm imagining.

It's weird, though, that my Canadian retailer has got his shipment of everything except the problem discs. Maybe something different's going on up here. We usually do receive different packaging, etc., from our friends to the south...

I think CapedWonder.com actually supplied some images for the Ultimate Collector's Set, so I wonder if that somehow relates to the removal of info from the site - them being a contributor to the release and all. Since my last post, they've taken down all info relating to the upcoming DVDs (even the innocuous stuff) and replaced it with links to other fansites.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

....As Dark Sky Films did with their recent "ultimate edition" of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. No peep from them after two months even though all the audio tracks (including the supposed "original mono track") on their DVD are missing important original sound effects, missing actual screams in crucial scenes, and missing other audio elements. So what you had was false advertising, bad incorrect audio, and a company that doesn't step up to the plate and take it like a man - Dark Sky Films is still selling this basically defective product, an "Ultimate Edition" no less, as if nothing was wrong with it and has never acknowledged the problems at all. Good business!

Obviously, SUPERMAN is a much bigger franchise and Warner Brothers is a company that usually seems to try to do the right thing (unlike Dark Sky), so hopefully the WB will correct these problems for all those Superman fans out there. I feel for you guys. If these studios screw up, deliver faulty product that they falsely advertise, and then they don't correct it, they are basically stealing money from us. Dark Sky fraudulently stole money from me and many others on TEXAS CHAINSAW. I hope Warners does the right thing and doesn't rip off all you Superman fans the same way.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was willing to live with the audio problem, but having the wrong disc in the mix is just too much.

I cancelled my order in the hopes that this will be rectified rather soon. The real bummer is, I was looking forward to spinning Superman Returns on the ol' home system next week.

I already own the older versions of Supes one and two, as well as the "Look up in the Sky" documentary. Maybe I'll just by Returns and The Donner Cut and be done with it. I was looking forward to the big package, though.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
That settles it for me. I'll be picking up the Donner cut and Returns separately. And until Ihear there's any kind of transfer improvement on S1 and S2, I'll be holding off on those as well.

Very surpirsing mistake for WB. This a huge boxset. Without trying to sound like an internet geek, some really should be fired for this mix up. They're obviously incompetent.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I was really looking forward to the big box as well, I wanted those fleischer cartoons, I was curious to hear the Salkind commentaries, and the big documentary encompassing the Reeve movies is only available in this box set, too.

But I'd rather just get Donner cut and Superman Returns than have to buy this flawed set and wait indefinitely for Warners to send out replacement discs. I'll take the plunge when I know this stuff is fixed already.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I'll probably still get the box set.

As someone who isn't a fan of Supes 3, that won't seal the deal for me.

And the audio issue...yea it sucks, but it's still the theatrical cut of the movie.

WB is a stand up studio, I'm sure they will send out replacements. I'm willing to buy the set and wait for said replacements.

14 discs for 70 bucks, tough to pass that up.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the documentary: You will believe includes brand new interview with cast and crew. its only on the boxset. they talk about all four superman movies.

I have heard good things about it.

Jacob

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked the ultimate set up from my local post office on my way to work and was sat looking at the booklet when I viewed this topic - suffice to say I'm now somewhat less excited about giving it a spin this weekend. Living in England its going to be a pain to get replacements shipped to me.

Very disappointing from Warner - I thought they were better than this...

PatH

Second Unit
I haven't read every post here but I do realize that this is important to many. I was about to get upset myself, then I remembered I had never intended to buy the big set anyway. I consider S2 a weak movie, S3 a bad movies, and S4 even worse. I would like to see the documentary spread across the four disks but not enough to buy two movies I'll never watch. This is exactly the same ploy Warner pulled with Batman, where there was a four part history of Batman across the four discs. Again, I liked the Keatons, the Val Kilmer's OK, can't stand the Clooney (not his fault). So no purchase there, either. Sorry for going off topic briefly.

What I am very interested in is opinions on the Fleischer cartoons spread across S1 and S2. These are, of course, available elsewhere, but I've heard that these transfers blow away all the others. If someone here can do a comparison, that will sell me the second movie. There's no hope for the other two.

Oh, I will be getting the Donner cut and Superman Returns. The only thing I found really wrong with that reboot was that he seemed to do nothing super other than lifting heavy loads. Supes can do much more and he probably will in the sequel.

PatH

Zod2080

Grip
Real Name
Jay
Diamond Anniversary Edition (2000)

Special Feature Edition (2006)

Diamond Anniversary Edition (2000)

Special Feature Edition (2006)

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Wow! The restoration on the Fleischer/Famous Superman cartoons are amazing, as you can see by the images above. Looks like I may need to sell off my Diamond Anniversary Edition DVD of these cartoons! And that's just a taste of the greatness in these sets.

So, has anyone else received their copy of Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition? If so, was the same erroneus Superman III DVD included? I'm quite excited to go through my copy of the collection this weekend, review it, and then just...bask in the awesomeness of it.

It's very interesting that www.capedwonder.com dropped the mention of the errors found on the collection . . .

Zod2080

Grip
Real Name
Jay
OK, Bryan, no offence but, this topic is here to be 'browsed'... for a reason.

This is the LAST time I am going to say this... The original audio mix for the theatrical version of STM in English is NOT featured on ANY of the current separate, or boxset releases. ALL regions are affected.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand and based on many posts on the supermancinema
message boards from people who have already gotten their R1 discs,
the original 1978 OST is missing on ALL of the S1 theatrical cut discs.

Zod2080

Grip
Real Name
Jay
I'm perfectly settled; I'm just sick and tired of people asking the same question, without browsing this topic first. It's 4 pages (so far), it's not like it will take you forever to read. The question has already been answered on multiple occasions here.

I am not having a go at you; I'm just stating the obvious Bryan. ;)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
You should talk to the Mama's Family fans who got an edited Season One set! Not happy campers... But I agree with you about Warner.

GregK

Screenwriter
How upset each person will get depends on their priorities. ..Is the original audio mix a major reason to buy? ..Or for most of us here - A double dip? And if there are no immediate replacement plans, is it time to cancel pre-orders? For me- Yes.

If they originally released Superman the Movie on DVD with an altered aspect ratio because Donner felt it "looked better", people would have been upset. If a re-release was said to now offer the original aspect ratio, but it didn't... do you think we would see some upset folks here (aka: 'an overreaction')? I think it's safe to say.. Yes.

Understanding that we're in a Thanksgiving holiday weekend, Warner Brothers still screwed up big time and need to make a PR on this asap. Hopefully next week we'll hear something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks