What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I just wanted to mention that I had a change of heart and decided to go with the Ultimate set. I waited a while before making that decision, though. The thing that locked it in for me was an unexpected series of events.... 1) decided to trade in a set of old dvds and cds at a local retail store that gives cash/credit in exchange, 2) discovering that a new retail store opened in my area that is pretty much a clone of the old chain but with a different name, 3) discovering that this new store had three sealed ultimate sets in stock, and 4) even though priced at $99, my $46 credit made it an acceptable purchase.

Here's the kicker-- the set contains all of the correct material! Yay! No waiting for mailers and such. Also, since I was able to visually inspect the set prior to purchasing, I was able to get a tin without damage.

Glad I exercised some patience with regard to this collection.

One final comment-- I sampled the Dolby 2.0 track and was happy to hear that it is the original, however, when compared to the 5.1 track (volume wise) it is quite weak. I've experienced similar differences in volume with other dvds in the past, so this is nothing new, but I'm at a loss to figure out why this has to happen. Couldn't the folks mastering the audio get the two soundracks at the same relative level? Its almost as if they diminished the 2.0 track on purpose. Although, it is more likely that an increased amount of space on the disc was allocated for the 5.1 track and thus the 2.0 track is more compressed. What a shame. I think they could've just left off the 5.1 track on the 1978 version of the film altogether. Just my opinion.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
What "retail" store was it? No need to be coy, there's no HTF rule against telling us where you bought something & I would like to know so I can go there and hopefully get one.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Not being coy. I did not mention names since these retail stores are local to my area, I believe. The store I obtained the credit at is called "The Wherehouse". The stored I located the sets at is called "FYE" (For Your Entertainment).

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Whoa. Over four years since I've been here.

I opened up my old Ultimate DVD set recently. I do not believe I actually went through all of the bonus material the first time around. I checked out each one of the discs and discovered a problem with one of them-- the Superman II bonus. Nothing will play it! It basically comes up as an unrecognized disc. A visual inspection revealed no problems whatsoever. It appears flawless.

Question- would Warner be willing to replace it after all this time?

Another company who made an anime movie did this for me once. No questions asked.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson

I checked out each one of the discs and discovered a problem with one of them-- the Superman II bonus. Nothing will play it! It basically comes up as an unrecognized disc. A visual inspection revealed no problems whatsoever. It appears flawless.

Question- would Warner be willing to replace it after all this time?

I think it highly unlikely but you never know so it doesn't hurt to ask. I recently decided to revisit Fox's FROM THE TERRACE which I purchased about 7 years ago and which played fine the first time around. This time around it simply stopped in the middle of the movie and wouldn't play any further. I put it in my Toshiba portable DVD player and it wouldn't play at all!

With all the talk about pressed DVDs vs. DVD-R in the last couple of years, it seems I've had more problems with pressed DVDs going bad that DVD-Rs.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I think it is worth a shot also.

Now does anyone have any contact information for Warner Bros if they want to inquire on a bad disc?!

Originally Posted by Thomas T

I think it highly unlikely but you never know so it doesn't hurt to ask. I recently decided to revisit Fox's FROM THE TERRACE which I purchased about 7 years ago and which played fine the first time around. This time around it simply stopped in the middle of the movie and wouldn't play any further. I put it in my Toshiba portable DVD player and it wouldn't play at all!

With all the talk about pressed DVDs vs. DVD-R in the last couple of years, it seems I've had more problems with pressed DVDs going bad that DVD-Rs.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I received a response from a WB rep who was able to send out an airbill and instructed me to return the bad disc. It went out on Sat. I will hopefully receive a replacement disc soon.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks