What's new

Sting - All This Time DVD.....poorly labeled info (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
I bought this last night at Best Buy, but almost didnt because of the poor info on the packaging. All it says about the presentation is that it is Dolby Surround.

I had read positive reviews on it but couldnt remember the details, so I picked it up anyways due to the Preferred Customer discount and being on sale. I figured I could take it back later if not up to standards before I opened it. The previous Sting DVD did have a nice DD 5.1.

Anyways, according to currentfilm.com this DVD not only has a solid DD 5.1, but also a 1.85 anamorphic presentation! I havent watched it yet to verify, but if true, why in the world would they not advertise this on the packaging? They almost lost a sale because of it.

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah... I was surprised when I saw that it said Dolby Surround on the rear packaging. I didn't bother to look too closely at first because I'm a huge Sting fan and bought it regardless.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Brian,

You raise a good point. There should be a uniform labeling grid on DVD covers indicating the basic details for both audio and video, something similar to the grid UNIVERSAL and DREAMWORKS use on their releases. Of course this makes too much sense so it will never happen.

-Gary

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
It actually says Dolby Surround 5.1 on the back, so you can figure out that it means DD 5.1 :)
I bought this DVD last week, and it is very impressive. A nice 72 min. documentary with songs that didn't make it into the concert, a music video, and some nice interviews. The documentary is like the concert presented in both anamorphic widescreen and DD 5.1 sound. The concert is one of the best I have ever seend with Sting! It's so good! And plus you get 3 bonustracks not mentioned on the backcover. You can also chose to see the DVD with a "MATRIX: Follow The White Rabbit"-kind of way. It's a nice feature, but I prefer to see the documenatary and the concert by them selves.
"Sting: All This Time" is highly recommended.
By the way, I bought mine Sting-DVD in Europe and it is a "region 0" disk with PAL picture. Is it PAL when you buy it in the states as well? The last Sting DVD (Brand New Day tour) was also a "region 0" DVD, but it had NTSC.

todd stone

Screenwriter
Excellent, I will be sure to pick this up. Intereting to read the concert was happening while the sept 11th tragedy and sting knew about it and was emotional.

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
Not showing that a Music CD is anamorphic is quite common, unfortunately. I don't know why they don't seem to think this is important. I've got a number of music DVDs that are anamorphic, but you couldn't tell by looking at the packaging. Paul Simon's "You're the One," is anamorphic, as are a number of the classical titles published by Image.

On the other hand, we've got a bunch of new Cirque Du Soleil releases that are marked "anamorphic," but are clearly not.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Really good concert! If you like a bit of the jazzy feel than this is the one for you. I much more enjoy this one then his previous "Brand New Day."

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sold! :D
I was going to pass this up, but 5.1 + anamorphic 1.85 = Dave - $20
-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread