1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Still confused: PCM or Bitstream for DVD output

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd Alexander, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander Well-Known Member

I've read several posts about the 2 and have seen conflicting info. Here is my situation:

I have a 4 year old Toshiba DVD player that has an optical output that I am using. I just bought a nice Onkyo receiver (TX-NR900) that supports practically every format out there.

If I want the best quality sound out of my DTS and Dolby Digital DVD movies, what do I set my Toshiba DVD player to output the audio?? Bitstream or PCM?

Thanks.

2. Rosano

Rosano Member

Bitstream all the way and turn both DD and DTS on.This is in the DVD player set up menu.Then do the equivalent on your receiver.It probably has a auto detect function but all receivers are slightly different.Remember to "set up" your digital input on your receiver....

Then when you insert a DVD that has both DD and DTS tracks remember to select the format you want in the DVD disc menu.DD is normaly the default.

Lets not even get into DD vs DTS....decide for yourself!

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Well-Known Member

Definetly Bitstream, you can't get DD or DTS via PCM unless it's through a demodulator of a Laserdisc player. I think.

4. Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I'll be enjoying some movies later this evening, knowing I've got the best setup now. Thanks.