What's new

Steven Spielberg's Director's Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Persianimmortal said:
i have excellent hearing, and I really can't notice it. Playing the exact same movie first on DVD, then on Blu-ray, I just can't detect any real difference in either audio or video. I'm not necessarily saying that you can't tell the difference Doug, but it's hard to imagine that a 4% speed difference, or 25 instead of 24 frames per second, is really something most people could ever notice. There's definitely no "chipmunk effect", that's for sure.
There is no chipmunk effect as you say, but if it's not noticeable then why do they go to the trouble and expense of purposely altering the pitch on many PAL discs?
John Wayne's voice on normal non-pitch-altered PAL DVD sounds like he's been kicked in the, well you know where. :blink:

The Video difference is in the actual higher resolution picture (pal=576 lines, ntsc= 480 lines) , but I've never noticed any difference in movement.

It's the sound where the problem exists for some, as a fellow Aussie try listening to the voice of the great Graham Kennedy from a Video taped TV show and then compare it with a PAL DVD of one of his movies.
I'd be very, very surprised if you couldn't hear the difference.

Bottom line = if you can't hear it then that's great. I only wish I couldn't. :(

Doug.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thank you.
Never thought I'd get a Birthday wish in the middle of a Steven Spielberg thread. :wave-hello:
But there you go, your wishes are gratefully acknowledged.

Doug.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Does ALWAYS (1989 )have the proper 70mm Dolby Stereo with (mono surrounds) or has Universal faked it into stereo surrounds?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Amazon just lowered the price today to under my threshold ($100) to get Blu-rays of the four films I do not already own on this format.

And it is now $91.99!

At $22.99 each to finally be able to see the superior version of 1941 and get Dual, which likely is from a recent 4K restoration (reported per The Reel Deal), along with Sugarland Express, and Always, this just became a purchase for me!

Yes, I ordered through the link at the top of this thread! :)
Ronald Epstein said:

Secondly, I just did the conversion, and it can be had for just under $100

The bad news, of course, is that it's region 2. Not certain if I would want this entire
set of 8 films in a different region.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Regarding Duel, from The Reel Deal's 2014 Program on their site:

Premiere screenings:

[*]The Day the Earth Stood Still – World Premiere – New 4Krestoration courtesy of 20th Century Fox
[*]Steven Spielberg’s classic 1971 film DUEL in 4K.
[*]A Fistful of Dollars - US premiere of the new 4K restoration of Sergio Leone’s western. The presentation will include rare outtakes.
[/list]
It would not be the hugest assumption in the world to believe the 4k scan was used as the source for the Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
PREORDERED....

....though still too expensive at nearly $100 considering I own several
of the movies already in the collection.

I may eventually cancel and wait for the singles to be available.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let's see...

I own E.T., Jaws, and Jurassic Park

Is it worth $92 for the remaining 5?

I suppose at $18 per film it may just be.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
PREORDERED....

....though still too expensive at nearly $100 considering I own several
of the movies already in the collection.

I may eventually cancel and wait for the singles to be available.
I figure I'll make at least $30 if I sell off Jaws, E.T. and the Jurassic Park set so that gets the price down to a very nice level.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Nah, still going to wait for single releases. I could've sold off ET, Jaws and JP to offset the cost of the set even more but I've got these in collectible packaging that's tough to replace so no go. Besides, these won't sell for more than a few bucks anyway as they are common titles and still easily available in the regular editions. Gonna wait this out as much as I want Duel in high-def.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
ahollis said:
Disney owns both Dreamworks and Lucasfilm now. Though MUNICH still resides with Universal.
True, but most catalog DreamWorks releases have been coming out through Paramount, which is why I thought Munich would be through them, since (I believe) Universal had theatrical rights and DreamWorks had home entertainment rights. But I really don't know; rights get swapped, I guess.

Still very glad that 1941 will have both cuts, but I wish they would include the original TV version of Duel, as well. I've never seen that version, but I've heard that it's actually superior to the more widely-seen 90-minute version.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Still very glad that 1941 will have both cuts, but I wish they would include the original TV version of Duel, as well. I've never seen that version, but I've heard that it's actually superior to the more widely-seen 90-minute version.
I have a friend who is a hardcore Duel fan and he has assured me that
the television version is superior. I am also dismayed it is not included here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
ahollis said:
Disney owns both Dreamworks and Lucasfilm now. Though MUNICH still resides with Universal.
Ownership and distribution are two different things. This, from the FAQ page of the Dreamworks website:

Who owns Dreamworks Studios?
DreamWorks Studios is a partnership between Steven Spielberg, Stacey Snider, and The Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. The company is funded by Reliance BIG Entertainment and a syndicate of banks arranged by J.P. Morgan Securities. Most pictures will be marketed and distributed by The Walt Disney Company.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark-P said:
Ownership and distribution are two different things. This, from the FAQ page of the Dreamworks website:

Who owns Dreamworks Studios?
DreamWorks Studios is a partnership between Steven Spielberg, Stacey Snider, and The Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. The company is funded by Reliance BIG Entertainment and a syndicate of banks arranged by J.P. Morgan Securities. Most pictures will be marketed and distributed by The Walt Disney Company.
That's correct. But the relationship is more complicated than that. Disney is also putting up the seed money for the films but the company is independent and the films that dream works produce will ore than likely stay with Disney.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You also have Dreamworks animation that split off and their titles are now distributed by 20th Century Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks