1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Sansweet talks BD 6 film Star Wars and more

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 30, 2009.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

It is this part of the interview where things become really interesting
    Quote:
    There is much more

Enjoy

2. LarryH

LarryH Well-Known Member

Per thefreedictionary.com:

several: Being of a number more than two or three but not many

3. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by LarryH

Regardless of whether it's "several", "a few" or "a couple", it's good to know that the Blu-ray set of the six Star Wars films is in the pipeline. This has to be Lucasfilm's last chance to release the saga absolutely nailed-on perfect....

4. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan Kaye

5. Worth

Worth Well-Known Member

Nick Dobbs
    Well, since Lucas apparently fells that all of the "Star Wars" films are never-ending works-in-progress, I can't see how there can ever be a "perfect" or definitive release of them.

If, by some miracle, the unmolested versions of the original three films are included, then I'll be interested. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

6. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Premium
    Supporter

Perhaps the article should be titled:

Star Wars Episodes BD: Absolutely No Hope!

Sorry to be such a downer but "... in the next several years..." sheesh.

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

I agree it's totally vague but it beats the flat out denials at the infancy of DVD that the OT would ever be released on that format.

8. Oliver_A

Oliver_A Well-Known Member

Without the original, unaltered versions of Episode IV-VI, I surely will pass on this set, as I did back in 2004.

9. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think there was anyone here (or on any other forum) who wouldn't think Lucas would not release the Star Wars movies on Blu. Of course they'll be released, it's just a matter of when and how. And since the 'super mega ultimate box set' has been a steady rumor even before the dvd trilogy came out, they'd better make it right this time. And yes, that would mean the originals too, but I'm not holding my breath. It would help to shut up everyone once and for all, though.

10. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Well-Known Member

Jeff Robertson
    My prediction:

Six movies (2004 versions) in 1080p AVC w/ DTS-HD MA audio with the same extras as the DVD set (in HD where applicable) and then a sprinkling of new supplements....maybe even these unseen-for-a-long-time making-of docs. They'll be packed in slim cases just like the ST movies.

Oh, and The Phantom Menace should be devoid of any ridiculous edge enhancement.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    All Star Wars fans need to know based on past experience
    with all the other formats is that it is very likely we will be
    milked on multiple releases of the complete saga, each with
    supplements or versions that should have been included the
    first time around.

My only hope is that Lucas will a little kinder to the fans and
    get it right the first time.

12. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Well-Known Member

You would think that for business reasons alone that they would want to get them out before streaming becomes a big deal,to milk us for every dime they can

13. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Star Wars be one of the titles that would be a lynch pin to increasing market penetration?

14. LarryH

LarryH Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

15. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    Originally Posted by Oliver_A

16. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Wait Ron, I thought Star Trek and Evil Dead were the only franchises milking us for all they can get...

17. Oliver_A

Oliver_A Well-Known Member

I don't think they ever got it right on DVD, neither the first nor the second time.

The first time, there was no inclusion of the original versions, lack of deleted scenes, only one documentary for the whole trilogy and, although the sharpness of the new transfers was excellent, it was plagued by a hack job done on the colour correction, plus the sound bugs.

The second time, there were no extras anymore (and I DON'T count the inclusion of the original films, which built this whole money making empire as "extras"), shoddy laserdisc transfers of the originals with heavy DNR and aliasing problems (in lots of scene, lines seem to have been doubled), and the Special Editions still had ALL the bugs which were plaguing the first release.

For me, Star Wars on DVD was a big disappointment, nothing worth waiting the extra long time. From my perspective, they need to do REAL good to redeem themselves. Other, much less "important" (in terms of box office) films, have recieved stellar treatment on DVD. But with Lucasfilm and Star Wars, all it seems to be about is money and how to maximize profits with the least amount of effort. This whole bloody affair almost destroyed my nostalgic love for the first three films.

Therefore, if this Blu Ray set isn't done RIGHT (and I really mean RIGHT, like Bladerunner RIGHT) on the FIRST TIME, well, they can show me pretty much any lack of kindness they want, for me, it's simply: NO SALE.

18. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I understand being dissapointed that the originals haven't been made available in a quality form but I don't know how anyone can say that they've milked Star Wars on DVD. They've had two distinct releases of the OT in 12 years and one for the prequels. There's movies that have had two DVDs in less than a year of its theatrical release.

19. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I agree the extras were quite disappointing on the original trilogy. I mean the three hour documentary was excellent, but I was hoping for more in-depth information and details on the original films, behind-the-scenes, deleted scenes, etc. Maybe they can finally do it right on BD.

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Well-Known Member

Well if you turkeys wait a few YEARS, I'm guessing your market penetration before streaming is going to get increasingly smaller.

Jeezuz.... this ain't rocket science... is it?

I can't understand why they don't at least have a 2010-2011 release planned. (...and what about the Indiana Jones flicks?)