1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence until June

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ted Todorov, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Screenwriter

I just saw it flash on a Bloomberg terminal, it hasn't made it to the usual Mac sites yet, but will.

Hope he will be OK.

2. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    I think Tim Cook, while lacking Jobs' charisma, is more than competent enough to lead the company in his absence.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    It's all over Techmeme now.

Cook leading the company behind the scenes and a Jony Ives/Phil duo presenting at special events would be a good match IMO. I still think the issue is deeper than Steve is letting on but I hope he makes a full recovery!

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Screenwriter

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The business can muddle through, I expect, but I wonder how much of an influence Steve was on the look and feel of everything. If he was the genius behind the designs, this could go badly. If on the other hand there are craftspeople who are behind the scenes in making the iPod look spectacular and such, then I am optimistic Apple can survive with its style intact.

Update: I heard on NPR driving home that there's another guy who is to thank for the designs (the look) of all the Apple products, so, the aesthetic should remain intact even if Jobs does not return.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

A five-month leave of absense is nothing from a business standpoint. Whatever products are being unveiled in June are almost certainly well on their way to completion.

This announcement is going to do a number on the stock price initially, but (assuming he doesn't take a turn for the worse) will be beneficial in the long run. If Cook avoids any major mis-steps, then future health scares will be less scary to investors because they'll know Apple will have continuity of leadership.

If Jobs ever leaves permanently, you'll start to see the effects a year or two down the line, once the projects he was involved with have been cycled out into the market and the projects developed without him come to the fore.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That's the aforementioned Jony Ive (not "Ives"), although giving sole credit to any single person is often dicey. Ive has a design team, Jobs gets his say, etc.

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Screenwriter

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    NYT's article on it wraps it up pretty well:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/te...pagewanted=all

I find Stone's take on this kind of interesting, but maybe I'm reading between the lines too much here. On one hand he brings up Apple's explanation of the Hormone Imbalance but then quotes anonymous sources as saying it's a condition that prevents absorption but not confirming that it's an imbalance vice Cancer or something completely off the wall such as Anorexia as some bloggers have suggested as an alternative cause. With the company's obsession on thin products it isn't THAT big a stretch, but the medical reasons seem to be the more obvious choice.

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

Now it's being reported that Jobs might need a liver transplant.

This is sounding worse and worse every passing day.

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery but it sure sounds bad right now.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
  12. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Screenwriter

All of the liver articles and the one Ron linked above have this much in common -- they are full of speculating doctors who have never met Jobs and have no information of any kind about his condition. None of them claim to have even anonymous sources with direct knowledge.

IMO this is some of the vilest most irresponsible "journalism" I've ever seen. Even if one of them has guessed Jobs' condition correctly it is still absolutely reprehensible.

If one of those articles had actual info, they would say something like "sources who know Jobs", or "sources familiar with his treatment say ...". Look, carefully it is not there. Every word of these articles comes straight from the sewer.

13. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    I agree. I'm growing weary of all of the comments from "anonymous" doctors that have never treated him or know anything about his condition. Seems to me these news services can find so-called "experts" to say just about anything that will draw attention to the stories they run.