What's new

Steve Jobs: RIP (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
... there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.
Count me among those who did. I was on a plane back from France yesterday and it had some of the most turbulent air I've experienced on my way back to California (changed over at JFK). When I landed I learned of his passing on my iPhone. Rumors had circulated around the plane upon touchdown as most of us turned on our devices at the same time.
As someone who has used Apple's devices since a child, stopped using them right after they deposed Jobs (not out of spite but because their products generally sucked right after that) and then am now the proud owner of multiple Apple computers and mobile devices, Steve's sense of what the consumer wanted (even when we didn't know it) was right up my alley.
I know or have read about the unflattering sides of Steve, but I don't think you'll find a successful businessman, entrepreneur and genius out there that doesn't have similar traits. For me, the good far outweighed the bad, and he will be sorely missed.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Ted Todorov said:
I wrote my first lines of code on an Apple II computer and my latest, just an hour before the announcement of his passing on a MacBookPro.
The first programming job I ever did was on an Apple II back in the 80's. I was in high school and our school needed a way to keep track of student absences. A friend and I wrote a database program from scratch that was used until sometime in the mid 90's. And while it's been a good decade since I've written any code, the Apple II helped kick-start my love of computers. Thanks Steve. :(

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to the lag of developing film, my stupid joke turned into accidental tribute to the man: www.flickr.com/photos/tonyjcase/6212648075
While I'm not a member of the Apple Cult (although I do own an Ipod), I wont deny that the man had a major impact on the world. Is he one of the great inventors of all history - well, give it some time and we'll see. But for the 20th century, yeah - he was a giant!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Was Jobs the one who popularized the adjective "insanely?" I was watching his 1984 presentation where the Mac displayed the text "insanely great," and I certainly don't remember that term being in use until more recently.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Radioman970 said:
Just sent that to my dad. Nice! He won't leave the house for a week looking at that.
I had to update the link because they've archived yesterday's date. Might want to send him the new one.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Michael_K_Sr said:
I had to update the link because they've archived yesterday's date. Might want to send him the new one.
Actually, it's the web site itself that I was mainly wanting him to have. Front pages from all over.... He probably doesn't quite know who Jobs is... heh heh!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Gawker is the first to go Steve-Negative (Just for Sam)

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think gawker are jerks but I don't have much I can disagree with in that article.
The thing is Steve appeared to be a dick when he needed to be, when principles were at stake or when he knew that to have a shot perfection was paramount.
Other than he thing with Lisa there are few examples you can point to where he was a dick just because he could be. Or as a genuine character flaw.
And if I was a billionaire I'd park in the handicapped spaces next to the front door of the empire I built too ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guy Kawasaki is awesome: "The experts are idiots":
https://plus.google.com/112374836634096795698/posts/8cfpr9k5v6t
Nowhere does this strike more than at blowhards like Scoble.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/315289/steve-jobs-rip/30#post_3858844
I think gawker are jerks but I don't have much I can disagree with in that article.
The thing is Steve appeared to be a dick when he needed to be, when principles were at stake or when he knew that to have a shot perfection was paramount.
Other than he thing with Lisa there are few examples you can point to where he was a dick just because he could be. Or as a genuine character flaw.
And if I was a billionaire I'd park in the handicapped spaces next to the front door of the empire I built too
What? You mean he didn't immediately get rid of all handicap spaces as soon as he returned to Apple?

_Man_

PS: Think I may just have reached the point where my asbestos-free autumn-wear will need to be replaced w/ something a bit more fire retardant perhaps.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are underestimating the future!
I've seen this before but forgot how fantastic it is...
http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2011/10/06/you_are_underestimating_the_future.html

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Hrm...I was planning on swinging by the Mothership when I'm in the Bay Area next week. May need to swing by the memorial park as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks