What's new

Stern the best thing to happen to Satellite (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

It does hurt for me to compliment anything Sirius
related, but I did so because the opinion was genuine
and I was truly surprised that after all these years,
Stern put on a far better show than I would have
imagined.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I got to hear Stern's first show today. I don't have Sirius, but it's not extrordinairly difficult to "find ways" of obtaining the audio.

It seems that Ron and I have been in agreement in which radio personalities we prefer and our feelings on how the quality of Stern shown has declined and on what triggered it. I pretty much share the same opinion here as well with a few exceptions. Since I only have the "other service" installed in my car, I have always had Stern on my radio every morning until I got into my car and to work, so I am not hearing Stern for the first time in years.

My opinions of Sterns first show are a bit clouded since I have been listening to (what I suppose we are calling them here) "The other Guys" on Satellite for over a year. So cursing and unplayable terrestrial bits such as the uncensored Pat O'Brien tapes is something I have already heard and have gotten used to. Howard has been touting for over a year that his Satellite show is going to be "Revolutionary" however, I am not hearing much, so far (and I know it was only his first show) that I would consider "Revolutionary" I wish Howard could just admit that he is not the first (for lack of a better term) "shock jock" radio act to make a home for himself on Satellite (and yes "The other Guys" were big at the height of their terrestrial days, not as big as Howard, but syndicated to over a dozen markets and number one in at least 4 in afternoon drive - males 18-49)

Having said that, I did as well enjoy the Evil Dave, Heidi Cortez bit and the discussions near the end of the show with Bubba the Love Sponge. George Takei was pretty good as well. Finding out the names behind the revelations should be good comedic fodder as well.

Brent T

Second Unit
I thought todays show was even better !! Sulu being fooled by fake arnold was just killing me.

When Artie started talking to George about... well doing what George and his boyfriend do, I couldnt stop laughing.
The once you park yourself in a mans... yadda yadda yadda

Loving the show so far and I even enjoyed parts of Bubbas first show. I could do with out the stock car racing stuff but hey, a ton of folks love that sport.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any problems with people liking O&A over Stern. Different strokes for different folks. I'll always be partial to Stern since I been listening to him for the better part of 17 years. I think the biggest think Stern's move showed me was how bad "regular radio" really is. I've only had Sirius for 2 weeks, but I am addicted to it. The flexibility satellite radio (Sirius or XM) offers and the satisfaction is the light years ahead of "boring, old radio." I never used to listen to the radio at home during the evening hours. But since I got Sirius, it is pretty much on all the time, whether it is at home, in the car or at the office. IMO, the best bang for the buck one could get for $12.95 a month.

Chris

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

What you posted above -- I think we can all
agree upon.

I have a huge amount of $$$ stock invested in BOTH
satellite radio services. I am that confident that
both these services are going to continue to become
bigger than we can possibly imagine.

Despite how I may feel about one service over another,
Stern's move has helped BOTH services by ballyhooing
satellite radio into the public mainstream.

Once both these companies go into the black and
start making a profit I'm going to sit back and reap
the rewards as a stockholder and someone that loves
to be entertained by radio.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
It's easy to listen to any show on either service without a subscription if someone with a subscription can record it and send it as an MP3. However, I think that is all that should be said on the matter. Ron, I am kind of suprised to see your above comment regarding the availability of Stern's show without a subscription as the owner of this forum, as if you are ok with that kind of thing. I am sure you will agree that it does not help either service by supporting piracy of content from either Sirius or XM. The HTF has strict rules regarding posting about piracy in other areas such as DVD software, so I don't see why this forum should be any different. I would hope that moderators will keep an eye out for that kind of thing.

Bottom line is that the future is satelite radio. Sirius and Sirius supporters shouldn't be looking at XM as their competition and vice versa...regular radio is the competition that we want to squash and move away from. Who knows, in 5 or ten years time...the two companies might merge. Like Ron and Will, I too have made it clear which show I support, so there is no sense in getting my Stern pom poms out. I will say that I feel Howard's move is indeed "Revolutionary" given his high profile status, power in the industry and being known around the country as opposed to "the other guys".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tom,

All that is being said, out of interest, is that the
shows are widely available to listen to.

It was never advocated and no links were provided.

No HTF rules were compromised.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
So if I went into the DVD software area and said "I have heard that it is VERY easy to download Season 3 Family Guy DVDs without purchasing them", that my post would not be edited or removed?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My personal bottom line:
  • I purchased a Sirius Starmate Replay (with FM transmission throughout my house) mainly for the two HOWARD stations.
  • I've been an XM subscriber since the start.
  • I've listened to more SIRIUS radio in the past 4 days than I've listened to XM in the past year.
  • When my current 1 year commitment to XM expires, I'm cancelling it.

Your mileage may vary.

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator

He ripped the idea from an O&A listener who sent the original bit into O&A when they aired the tapes unedited back in March. Howard a few days later had a different version made and played with the bleeps in it (same song and concept). For the Sirius show, he played that same one he made back then, but with the bleeps taken out.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
George Takei is brilliant. I haven't heard Stern in years, but George Takei is a riot everytime the guy speaks. His over-the-top defensive attitude at times just kills me; the back and forth today over "People will drive from Utah to California to see BrokeBack Mountain" got to me

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
"Governor, I will give you that massage if you are honestly going to sign that marriage bill"

ROFLMAO!!:laugh: :laugh:

stern has def done is fair share to bring on new subscribers. That is all sirius was after and he did it. more will come in time

larry

Jaime J Nubes

Auditioning
Best line of the day:

Artie: "The other day I was in the bathroom trying to blow myself."

In response the Takei's contention that the show was getting more gay-friendly.

Take that, Cheap-a-sano! :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Now if they can just keep Sal away from the screen scroll. Howard was correct, he goes too far. "Time for News and T*ts" is "just not funny, it's not funny."

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Robert,

We'll welcome you when your XM runs out, I'm finding that many of my friends who have XM are making the switch. THat's the power of Howard. Keep underestimating him and he will prove you wrong every time. I don't want a monopoly by no means but I love seeing the Sirius subscriber totals tallying upward on account of the programming and talent they have available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks