What's new

Stern the best thing to happen to Satellite (1 Viewer)

Brent T

Second Unit
Was 500 Million too much for Stern??

He hasn't even been on the air yet and he already more then covered half of the salary with new subscribers since he announced he was coming to satellite.

Look at this way. 700,000 subscribers before Stern, 3 Million by the end of this year. Thats 2,300,000 or about 10% of his audience. Lets make it fair and say Howard has brought in 2 Million of those..

$13 a month for 12 months = $156 per subscriber per year x 2 million new subscribers = $312,000,000.00 (a % of that may not last the year so you can take off 50 Million and still cover half the deal).

Now count in that Stern will have even more of his listeners join next year, Stern seems like a bargain.

While XM will lower its monthly fees, Sirius should continue to add high end content and see who wins that war.

Some actually say that Stern is the best thing to happen to XM, welcome to the SPIN ZONE.

steveKlein

Agent
i think stern is big... but no way 80% of new subscribers are doing it for stern.

i'd say it's probably more like 25%. tons of people, like myself, care nothing about stern and are simply getting satellite radio.

it's like saying that text messaging is the reason so many people got cell phones.

just because 2 events are correllated doesn't prove causation.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Stern is big real big I think it's more like the reason people got a new cell phone was for the camera phone option.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I think this is exciting as all hell. Howard getting to unleash a show that he's always wanted to? I've known some people to say that they don't see themselves making the switch from XM to Sirius just for Howard, but the people who have made the switch love the music programming plus the sports and Howard. Long Live Sirius and let's do whatever we can to keep this forum open because frankly I was tired to read Ron's Pro XM brainswashing. There's two worlds of Satellite radio out there and those who do have Sirius, I think it's fair to say that we love it.

Brent T

Second Unit
Steveklein,

Sirius went on the air back in early '02 I believe and since then they added the NFL and Stern as their two biggest selling points. So in two years they had close to 700,000 subscriber's compared to XMs 2-3 Million (they had the NFL one year before Stern).

2004 Stern announces he is going to Sirius and their subscription rate goes up by over 400% in a year and you think only 25% of that is due to Stern ? I must believe that at least 10% of his audience are hardcore listeners and will easily put 2 million new subscribers into the Sirius family

If people aren't coming for Stern why are they ? All we hear is how superior the music selection is on XM. Makes me wonder.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Come January i'm getting Sirius by way of a whole year subscription, and yes, i'm primarily doing it for Howard but not entirely for him, I also want to hear Jim Breuer and the music channels of course.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
It does kill me to see people continue to underestimate Stern and his fan base. What else does he have to do to show how loyal his fanbase is?

He has been a success at every venue he has taken. Stern has been a part of millions of listeners' lives every day for who knows how many years for each listener. Some people truly do have better days laughing in the morning and for me, Stern + everything else Sirius has to offer makes it well worth it.

But you can bet by this time next year the % of Sirius listeners who are also Stern listeners should be very telling of just how big he is. Mel Karmizan (sp?) moved to Sirius and he wouldn't have done so if he didn't think Howard could bring in that many people. When else have you seen Sirius receivers selling out at so many places? Since when have you seen such an onslaught of promotion for Sirius and a handful of commercials that make it a point sometime to say Stern is coming in January.

I don't think he'll ever get 100%. If he can get even 15%-20+ of what he used to have on regular radio by two years from now, I'd like to think those are good numbers to build on. Howard's not only built on fans but also people who would listen who hate Howard, but wanted to still hear what he was going to say. Imagine what kind of stuff/material they'll be able to hear now. It should be interesting to see how many Howard haters make the move because you know they can't help but want to hear him.

Jaime J Nubes

Auditioning
I have no doubt that Stern still pulls the numbers and might pay off big time for Sirius. However, a year is a long time in the business and, with no FCC and no Tom, those are two big excuses he won't have anymore. There's that much of a chance that he could turn into a Frankenstein and become a caricature of himself, which is not to hard to do considering how he looks.

Even he knows this is the moment of truth. One year from now, the 60 Minutes piece, the Today show piece and the magazine articles will become a distant memory. Oh, yeah. He still has his movie, CD, his In-Demand and most of his old crew. But there won't be the MSM bash like the one that promoted his jump to Sirius ever again, since he's now a known commodity. He got his big payoff, more than he could ever dream of: A huge contract, a model girlfriend and no FCC/Tom (for the time being).

Now when will his daughters come on the show and strip naked on the air? :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Apparently there is some play in New York that his oldest daughter, Emily, is in where at the end all the actors strip completely nude and run around on stage.

DaveSarcevic

Agent
I'm waiting for an adapter for my Sirius ready Kenwood headunit. I just bought it on Ebay recently. I should have it and activated in the next day or two.

I'm really looking forward to Howard being able to be himself again. I have been listening to shows from 10 years ago. Howard is right the FCC and the hypocrates of the religious right have really screwed up his show. There is nothing that I've heard that is obscene or indecent. It is good adult humor.

I think people are misunderestamating(Bushism) Howard. As has been the situation most of his career. Those of us who listen to him await the changes that he is bringing. It will be nice to listen adults speaking without bleeps. For those of you that dont listen to Howard, why not. Come join us on the dark side , it is so much funner here.

Brent T

Second Unit
Dave,

Howard called into Howard 100 News sometime after 12am on New Years day. It was great hearing him talk on there and to hear him catch himself talking "clean".

I can't wait to hear the show over the next few months.

As for underestamting Stern, I agree with you. I switched from XM to Sirius. Now I cant deny that the NFL channel also had something to do with it, but Stern pretty much locked up the change in my mind.

1-9-06 Same King, New Kingdom

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It's sad how much I'm looking forward to "Gooood Mornin' evry-bod-eh" on the morning of 1/9.

tracked down and bought my home adapter for the Starmate ST2 today.

Hey now.

Brent T

Second Unit
Hey John, I hope you had it connected so that you heard Stern doing his testing this afternoon. VERY VERY Funny

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
no doubt howard was the reason for the jump in subscribers.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize the stern signing will pay off. it was a no brainer. for those who say howard has done it and its old. I dont know about you but farts, naked chicks and feaks still make me luagh very hard after all these years.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Caught Howard yesterday during his rehearsal. It was nice to hear him and the gang again after 2 weeks. I listened to David Lee Roth today and yesterday to see what he was about. Utterly atrocious. I lasted 15 minutes each day. He just rambled aimlessly. Makes me appreciate Stern more and how good of an entertainer he really is. Monday can't come soon enough.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sadly I missed Howards rehersal, don't have my system yet, but I did catch DLR this morning, my God in heaven was that BAAAADD!!!

I couldn't get over how painfully boring he was! I kept listening because the thing was like a car wreck, it was aweful yet I couldn't look away and turn it off LOL!

He won't last if he keeps up with this format, they should move the Barsky Show to mornings instead.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I heard a rumor that on his rehersal, Howard slipped up and mentioned his "new wife" Can anyone confirm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks