What's new

Stereo vs. AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

WheatStripes

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hey folks, I'd like to preface what follows by saying I'm new at home theater setups. With that in mind, I'm completely open to suggestion. Anyway, I'd like to set up a basic home theater/music listening setup. I've got a 50" plasma tv, an xbox, a cable box and a pair of BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers but I'm lacking a receiver. I'd like to note that my focus for the audio equipment will be for music listening (I'd like to use my iPod and my computer to play and stream tracks), with a secondary objective being that I want to enhance my television, video game and DVD viewing. I've read a few sites and I've been led to believe that a stereo receiver (perhaps a Harmon Kardon 3490) would be ideal for a good music-listening experience but from what I've seen so far none of these receivers have HDMI inputs. I've read that AV receivers tend to not produce the best sound quality for music. What do you all recommend as far as a receiver goes with my needs in mind? Thanks in advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any HK(not the new 1700...although, maybe the bugs are worked out???) Or Onkyo. HK make serious power(the 2650/3650 would be a good choice...long in the tooth, but boy do they sound clean). Onkyo have "pure direct"(if you go high enough in the line) and anybody here that has an Onkyo with pure direct will tell you the same thing. No other receiver sounds better on 2 channel music. Caveat is...Yamaha and Pioneer/Elite have their version of "pure direct" as well...but their receivers with it are $200-$300 more(as in higher up the line) than where you'll find it in Onkyo. Current onkyo to look for...the 717(not sure if the 616 includes pure direct).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, the onkyo 616 and 515 both apparently have Pure Direct as well...(So do the higher models)... But yeah, if you listen to 2.0...you'll want an AVR with direct and pure direct(for Onkyo...Pure means it shuts off the AVRs internal video processing. I've had Yamaha with the same thing...just called something else)

WheatStripes

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks for the advise, Sam! So is the main difference between AV and Stereo the price point? Will two speakers (and possibly a sub) sound just as good on AV as they will on stereo?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Price point has nothing to do with stereo or "AV" receiver. Denon's DRA line will put that topic to rest with the 897. Simply, a stereo receiver is for 2 channel playback. That is it. You'll find some stereo receivers with composite(yellow) video switching. I've never seen S-video, component or HDMI on a 2 channel receiver. Quite simply...if you want video switching, you'll have to buy an AVR. Nobody said" you can't just hook up 2 speakers to an AVR". If a stereo receiver isn't what you want...buy an AVR and run it in stereo. You won't be the first person to do so.

WheatStripes

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
JediFonger said:
you don't like surround sound music?
I'll likely "get there," but I'm just starting with a 2.0 channel setup. I've never set up a home theater before and am just looking at baby steps to start.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
WheatStripes said:
Just curious - what issues were people having with the HK 1700?
Firmware updates bricking them right out of the box. OSD that made absolutely no sense. Networking that had problems. But, nobody has been complaining about them since November...so either HK fixed all the problems...or HK quit selling them...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks