What's new

Stereo/HT mains on a budget (1 Viewer)

Patrick_L

Second Unit

they'll probably sound even better in a few weeks. "like" could very well turn into "love".

good job on all your projects, they look nice.

LOL @ the speaker stands

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
lol, hey they work. Don't pay any attention to that room, it's a total mess/dump.

Anyone have any ideas on cloth/carpet to use?

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
How about doing the stained top and bottom that you mentioned, and then go to your local upholstery place, and pick up some decent looking vinyl to cover the main portion of the speaker with. There should be some pretty decent vinyl that comes close to the look of leather that shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg either.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, I'll check that out. Is there a good adhesive that you can think of for that?

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Upon further contemplation...if I were going to veneer, what would be a good place to buy from? I've looked on ebay, but it's hard to find anything wide & long enough to cover the fronts (11"x49") in one sheet, nevermind the sides (18"x49").

How does this look? Where else might I look?

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
www.tapeease.com

10 mil paper backed are a good choice if you are going to bond via contact cement.

What you linked to on ebay actually looks nice. Veneers are something that can be inexpensive to VERY expensive, depending on size and species, etc.

Do a search here, there are links posted to tutorials on what is involved in a good veneering job.

Some folks like contact cement, others like to use glue and a vacuum press, while others do a yellow glue to dry, then iron on (to activate the glue) the veneer to the substrate MDF. All are good valid techniques.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I got material for my first veneering project from www.tapeease.com. I would suggest the 10 mil paperbacked. Looks like you'll need 2 4x8 sheets. If you are going to wrap the speakers in one piece you'll need to put a roundover on the edges. And get help to lay the speaker on the veneer because once it touches the contact cement it is stuck for good.

Just looked at your speaker dimensions and 48 inches won't be enough to go all the way around. If you roundover the front edges 48" will just cover the front and sides and you could veneer the back with a separate piece. Or if the back soesn't show just leave it raw or paint it black.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed tapeease.com and they say they'll do 5'x10' sheets, which should cover both enclosures with one sheet.

I have searched for veneering tips in the past and came across the one about using elmers wood glue and ironing. Would this be the preferred method over contact cement?

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...I didn't realize there would be such a premium for larger sheets. Maple apparently goes from $1.18/sq ft to $3.87/sq ft when going from a 4'x8' sheet to a
5'x10' sheet...

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Better off to get another 4x8 or a 4x4 sheet if you need the extra material.

If you plan on using the contact cement method, you need to get the paper backed veneer. If you plan on using glue, the paper backing isn't necessary. I haven't tried the glue / iron method yet, but I might give it a whirl sometime in the future. I'm actually thinking about making some small speaker for my computer (office at home) in a 5.1 format. I need to find a good small reciever first. But I might try this method when I do that.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah...no way I'm going to pay for the 5x10 sheets. I think I might just go with that ebay auction and do the iron on method.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I ended up buying this veneer, it looks pretty nice. Been spending the last couple days off and on getting them prepped to put it on. I'm going to try the wood glue iron on method... :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks