What's new

'STEPHEN KING'S IT' DVD - Widescreen! (1 Viewer)

Esten

Supporting Actor

I wonder if the director just wanted it re-framed,or they had a theatrical release in mind when they made it? hrm.
Oh,and i didn't see this posted.If it it already is,then please delete this thread.:)

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
It was a miniseries and in no way intended for U.S. theatrical release.

I suspect they might have done something with it overseas, though, and filmed it in widescreen.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
They probably didn't film it in a widescreen process, but rather composed it to be shown open matte at 1.33:1 or 1.85:1 for Europe.

Since there's a commentary with the director, it's likely that the wide ratio was requested...

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Actually, I just bought it. And it is indeed in 1.85 anamorphic widescreen! Picture quality is generally good, quite grainy at times, but still not bad. No awkward framing, either. Fine sound (a bit tinny, but considering it was a low-budget TV movie, it's not bad). Only listened to snippets of the commentary, but it sounds good. Overall, a recommended purchase.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
This is a pleasant surprise! :)
I've had mine pre-ordered from Future Shop for a while now, but just assumed it was 1.33:1.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Salem's is 1.33! Denied!
For years, I thought it was shot in Panavision, but it was not shot in Panavision, but with Panavision... cameras and lenses! D'oh! :b
James Mason! He was great! So many great performances!:emoji_thumbsup:
One little facoid about It: Director Tommy Lee Wallace was the production designer on John Carpenter's Halloween, and he chose two masks for Michael Myers. The one that was rejected was an Emmet Kelly mask! A scary clown mask! Then he directed It! Weird. ;)
Gordy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It was not shot in a widescreen format. The film WAS shot to be viewed at 1.33:1 or 1.85:1 (for other countries) on normal 35mm.

A movie doesn't have to be shot in a widescreen process to be widescreen.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Having just finished the commentary, I can say that it's very entertaining. John Ritter, Tim Reid, and Dennis Christopher are recorded as a group, and provide most of the humor. Richard Thomas is also recorded seperately, and is interspersed occasionally. The director, Tommy Lee Wallace, provides most of the information (especially towards the end of night one). It's interesting: the film is split over two sides, on two single layers. But anyway, it's a good disc.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
It's not OAR and I detest the fact that top and bottom are cropped. There is no way this was shot for wide screen format! I saw Bourne Identity (Mini series) on DVD and was pissed that it was in wide screen format. Most of the shots are too tight! Characters frequently have top of their heads cut off and Eifel Tower is also cut off at the top. I love anamorphic but I want OAR more. Bourne looked just too tightly framed. :angry:

How funny! With the coming of HDTV we will have cropped 2.35 and 1.33 movies. Modified to fit our spiffy new 1.78 monitors. Who could ask for anything more?

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
It's interesting: the film is split over two sides, on two single layers. But anyway, it's a good disc.
Split? Mine is all on one side. 1 side Standard, the other Widescreen. Well, that's what it says on the DVD itself (inside ring). So you know what? I missed the first half of the movie last night!!!! ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
I had seen it when it first came out. Showed it to my wife last night and thought "there's a hell of alot missing here". Then the show was over and I know I missed It in the sewer looking up through the gutter. So I came here and now I know why.
Makes me want to swear. @#%#$% @#$#$% !#$%!$!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!
Ok, I feel somewhat better now, but I gotta show my wife part 1 tonight. One of these days....

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
So how did you guys miss the HUGE thread about the fact that not only was the IT DVD cropped for fake widescreen, but that it is edited down as well?

Hold on to the laserdisc if you have it, as it is in OAR and uncut, not garbage cropped/edited junk like the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks