What's new

Steam News and Bargains thread (2 Viewers)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Skyrim Legendary just went on 66% off - $20.39!

So much for me thinking it was a mediocre sale:

So far I bought:

Adam's Venture (1, 2, & 3)Age of Wonders (1, 2, Shadow Magic, and soundtrack)Alice: Madness ReturnsAntichamberAudiosurfBard's TaleTime Gentlemen, Please/Ben There Dan ThatBrutal LegendBulletstormCity Life 2008Critical MassDead IslandDeponiaDragon Age: Origins - Ultimate EditionDungeon HeartsDungeons of DredmorElder Scolls IV: Oblivion (complete)Far Cry 3FateFezGhost MasterLegend of FaeMonacoNightSkyPapers, PleasePath, ThePuzzle DimensionPuzzle KingdomsRailroad Tycoon (Collection)Ride! Carnival TycoonRise of the TriadRoogooRushScoregasmScratches: Director's CutSepterra CoreShadowgrounds (& Survivor)Solar 2Trine (& Trine 2)Universe SandboxVegas: Make it BigWizardry 6, 7, & 8World of Goo
Many of these titles were under $3 each, some as low as $0.49!

I also bought RPG Maker VX Ace for $34.99 when it went to 50% off. It went to $17.99 less than 48 hours later! D'Oh!

Still hoping for better discounts on:

Anno 2070 Complete
Serious Sam BFE: Complete
Mass Effect Collection
Defcon
Stanley Parable
Violett
Gone Home

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nice haul... woah! World of Goo is great! If you've never played it you're in for a great time. Also, Solar 2, which I finished not long ago. Plays great with a pad controller. Really hoping for a Solar 3...and 4. More bells and whistles.

Dragon's Lair is up for vote. sure hope it wins. If they also put DL2 and Space Ace at $4 I'd have my weekend plans all laid out! lol

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
If you know your Steam password, you shouldn't have a problem, BUT, the software MAY ask you to verify your identity if you use any computer other than the one you registered with...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Unimpressed. I mean, why spend all that on a SteamBox when you could build one for less that runs Windows and plays every game on Steam instead of just the Linux ones? And the cheapest one we've seen is still the price of an Xbox One, which is the high limit of getting people to want to buy into the ecosystem.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think last year they had just the darksiders parts for $8. I already had DS 1 but was happy to snap it up anyway for all those DS2 stuffs. Reminds me, I need to add DS1 to games I need to get back to and finish on up.

I've read nothing but great about Brothers, however TAKEDOWN might be good potential but beta-like, ... debated How to Survive .... $2.49 isn't much. BUt I expect a bundle deal on that one in the near future.

Not a whole lot this year..

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Sam Posten said:
I think the idea would end up failing. I understand most people's reluctance to build their own PC but it would put a spotlight on paying $700 for a $400 graphics card and inspire some to try it. Once one person in a group of friends builds a PC, they all can now build one. The other issue (but great for the consumer) is that companies like Dell and Alienware might finally build a stripped down gaming machine and sell at a reasonable price to compete and draw customers away. It is very frustrating that the only way to buy a prebuilt machine with a top end graphics card is to also be forced to buy the top end CPU, maximum memory and a bunch of other top end stuff that doesn't help gaming, hence a big reason consoles still exist for anyone over 18.

I still think there is a huge market for an $800 PC gaming cube with no monitor (use existing monitor or HDTV, same as console). Basically the middle/high school PS4 and XBox One crowd because every one of my son's friends who was able to use a PC to play a game never went back to the console version. The justification would be "Play all the console games but with better graphics, patches, mods, console commands and cheaper to buy and it is a full fledged PC" so no need to buy a game console and a laptop or low cost desktop that can't play PC games decently.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There will always be a strong PC market and there will also always be a strong console market. People will also prefer to pay less for a console, even if its less powerful, and have stuff just simply work on their TV. This is the one area where Steam Machines could compete with consoles except that they're ridiculously priced. I chalk that up to the console model: sell the hardware at a loss or breaking even, reap profits from licensing software. No PC manufacturer that is producing a Steam Machine can match that so they are selling hardware at a profit.

I also firmly believe anyone who actually cares about PC gaming is also interested enough to make their own Steam Machine. The market for these devices is simply not strong enough.

However, a slightly underpowered but small and cheap one may do well. If I can get the convenience offered by a Steam Machine with good but not revolutionary graphics for under $400, I'd consider it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What Morgan said. I want to like the Steam Machine idea. With consoles plugged into 50" 5.1 surround played on a comfy couch, and iPad gaming in bed or airports...I can't get enthused these days about buying a $2000 Windows machine with crappy PC speakers to game at an office desk. But the Steam is too early. It's too expensive. The Linux game library (reportedly) is too small. Hopefully it settles out and the Linux library grows. There's an intriguing product here that could get my money in a couple years.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
DaveF said:
What Morgan said.I want to like the Steam Machine idea. With consoles plugged into 50" 5.1 surround played on a comfy couch, and iPad gaming in bed or airports...I can't get enthused these days about buying a $2000 Windows machine with crappy PC speakers to game at an office desk.
I don't get this. If you are buying a PC just to play games, like the consoles can only do, why do you have to hook it up to crappy speakers at an office desk? Why not hook it up to your TV and stereo, just like you do with a console? Don't like mouse/keyboard? Then use anyone of a hundred controllers, wired or wireless. Since the Stream box is just a PC in console form, any person can do the same darn thing and you don't need to spend $2K sans monitor to build a kick ass gaming rig that would blow away the XB1 and PS4. It seems like there is a mental block that if it is a PC, it is a PC first and foremost and therefore has to go on a desk and gaming machine a distant second. Build a gaming cube that sits next to the TV and is a gaming platform first and foremost that can be used as a computer if the need arises. You know, like a Steam box (or consoles) but without all the restrictions and limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks