What's new

STEAKS, I have a question (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I spent 5 years living on the central california coast and therefore I am a member of the tri-tip fan club.

I read where its a relatively unknown cut but its really delicious.

Also a good strip steak is hard to beat.

off topic, but I always love those steak houses that offer the ole if you eat our 560 oz porterhouse your meal is free deals.

always makes for a good story.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Man, vegetarians and The Heart Institute must HATE this thread! :D

I remember watching an episode of Iron Chef where the theme ingredient was I believe Kobe beef, but I'm not 100% certain. The raw beef they had was TOTALLY MARBLE! About half of the meat was all FAT! The judges were salivating at the sight of that meat, and almost fainted when they were told how much it costs per pound! And the show had A LOT of meat on the stand!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
wayne - thx for finding that recipe. i forgot the part about sticking the skillet in the oven first (a crucial step)...

i've updated my post to point to yours instead.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think i heard somewhere that, by the time the show iron chef was done, they had spent something like millions of dollars just on the ingrediants. :eek:

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
The steak done in the Broiler is probably about 2" away from the flame.

Yeah, gotta agreee with the slow heating of the cast iron skillet for the searing of the steak. First time I tried this a few year ago I had a long, nice cast iron skillet and heated it up way to fast and it cracked. Man was I pissed.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question for you. I like to cook Chateaubriand (roast tenderloin for two) once in a while, and most recipes call for you to sear the outside first on the stove and then cook it in the oven until it reaches desired doneness. I have found that it's better to roast it first in the oven and then sear it as the final step (aside from then letting it rest for a few minutes).

Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? I seem to get less smoke by searing after the main cooking, which is key since my downdraft exhaust is pretty weak.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Interesting. When no one responded to my question about the Delmonico steak, I did some searching. When you go to a grocery where I live, the particular cut is labeled as a "Delmonico" (otherwise known as a rib-eye). Are they labeled "rib-eyes" where you live?

Anyway, here is a link that outlines the curious use of the term "Delmonico."

is this a regional thing???

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Wierd the Delmonicos I got up north I would have equated to a Filet Mignon style steak. The steak was very tender and usually thick and small. Where as the ribeyes are fairly large and relatively thin 1" to 1.5". A Delmonico is not a very big steak is it?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
brian - although i'm not positive, most of what i've seen or read tells me i should sear it first.

the whole idea of searing is to create a "hardened outer shell" that will hold all the juices inside.

another key element is to let the meat rest once you're done cooking it. more than once i've cut a steak too early only to watch all the juices literally run out. :frowning:

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of steaks, what's the deal with A1 steak sauce? To me, it's sacrilegious to use A1 for just about anything.

I prefer well-seasoned steak that requires no additional condiments.

But if I have to use the sauce, I'd go for either Worcestershire or Bourbon sauce (preferred).

Among the restaurant chains, I like Kincaid's signature pink prime ribs. Yummmmmmmm!

JayV

Supporting Actor
Here's the recipe from Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show on FoodTV
For any Doubting Thomases, Alton Brown's show has never steered me wrong. I would add, however, that the kosher salt he mentions is critical (although I've gotten good results with coarse sea salt as well).

-j

terry deto

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Terry
I prefer steak grilled over charcol.
with salt , pepper
fan the coals red hot to sear and seal the meat then
turn with tongs. about 3 min a side.
as an appitiser for myself, I salt and pepper some
chicken livers and gill them over the coals. about 5 to 10 sec a side and eat these while cooking the steak.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Speaking of searing, those of you that like your steak rare should give "black and blue" a try. Black and blue is a rare steak cooked on a very hot flame. The outside is deeply seared (or black) while the inside is left rare (or blue).

Note: black and blue is best done with a thick cut (1.5-2"), but once you've tried it you won't go back to regular old rare.

-greg

Gary_E

Second Unit

Coulotte meat, is the "cap" off a top butt(sirloin) of beef. The premium parts of a top butt are the solid muscles of beef that are seamed out of the butt after the cap is removed. These muscles are processed into butt steaks or top sirloin steaks which can look very similar to a tenderloin (filet) steak. As noted in a previous post, steaks which are cut from the top butt are superior in flavor compared to tenderloin steaks, which are usually more tender.

Here's a link to National Beef's website.
http://www.nationalbeef.com/Trans_productsMain.htm

Hope this helps.

-Gary

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
First choice is a thick filet mignon very rare. Second choice is rib eye. When in the mood for something else, a sushi grade yellow fin tuna cooked rare. Excellent.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
This thread is making me hungry.

(Goes back to eating Pop-Tarts, cereal, and dwindling supplies of Del Monte vegetable cans for the remainder of the semester)

Evan

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
My favorites are filet and then rib eye. The best filet mignon I ever had was at a place called Smith & Wollensky. It was awesome: 16 oz filet cooked medium rare and served with creamed spinach and potatoes. Man I was in heaven. If you have one in your area you must check them out.

Now I'm hungry for a steak and it's only 8:40 AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks