What's new

State Quarters have ended, but the collection continues! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've been collecting all of the State Quarters from 1999-2008 and had finally finished putting them into a map holder that hangs on my wall.

I thought I was done collecting, when I received a quarter that I hadn't seen before. It was a 2009 District of Columbia quarter with Duke Ellington on it!!!

Interesting! It appears that they are starting a new collection for 2009: 2009 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories Quarters Program

I also see that they are planning to do a National State Park collection starting in 2010: National Sites Quarters Program

It's funny; when I finished collecting all of the quarters, I realized that I had been doing this for the past 10 years. It's so strange to get change back and not look at the backs of quarters. I've been so used to doing it that it's a habit now.

But now with these new collections, I guess I won't be able to break the habit. Damn, now to find a map for this new collection.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I started buying the quarter collection back in 99 from the US Mint and at the time I thought I would never live to see the end of it. I just received my last quarters about a month ago and sent my final bill. I am happy I have them all but I am also glad it is over.

Coolest part about the quarter collection. The collection I purchased comes with two quarters from each mint on a cardboard sheet with pictures and information about that state. Since this started in 1999 my NY set has a big picture of the World Trade Towers which is nice because my children are to young to remember them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is there anywhere reliable where you can purchase individual quarters? I've been collecting these, too, just by getting them as part of my change. All I have left to get are the final year of Denver mint -- I have all the Philly mint ones.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Duke Ellington on a coin. How cool is that?

They should have a gigantic mushroom cloud on the coin from The Northern Mariana Islands. I always thought the sun in the background of the Nevada quarter was a nuke going off at the test site.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya! I collected all of mine just from receiving change, so it's been a fun (and exhausting) 10 years. I remember putting up the map in early 1999 and looking at the ending date of 2008 and my mind not being able to comprehend such a date.

Also, can anyone confirm this? I imagine that as each quarter was set to be released, it would go to the state that the quarter represented first (and filter out from there)?? Because, being in CT, it seemed like I used to get the newly released quarters soon after release, but as each state kept getting further and further away from CT, it would take me longer and longer to get the next quarter.

At the end, it was so hard to get them that I didn't think I'd ever fill the map in.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have everything except for Hawaii. I'm collecting but I only occasionally try to remember to look at them... I have a nifty book my father bought for me and my sisters to put them in..

Jay

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

That's cool! I enjoyed collecting the state quarters but, as someone who loves visiting our National Parks, the National Park quarters sound even better.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've also been collecting the state quarters and as Mark said, it's been harder as the states kept moving west. I still haven't gotten a Hawaii yet (anyone have an extra? ;)). I'll also be going for the D.C,/terriotories coins since the state quarters map I bought a couple months ago has spots for those as well.

Not sure if I want to do the national sites quarters or not (didn't know about them until now). I'm not a coin collector normally so I don't know if I want to go through another 10 years of it for those. But I'll probably at least try it because they'll probably have some cool stuff on those coins.

The easiest place would probably be eBay. I've been looking into buying a Hawaii coin there but haven't pulled the trigger yet. A lot of people selling them tend to sell them for $1/each with free shipping. Obviously, the "reliability" of eBay would depend on what buyer you buy from.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, I don't think I want to either...but of course, as the months go by, I'll probably do it. It's not like it was super hard. It just got a little stressful after a month or two would go by and I hadn't found the next quarter.

Do you think the national sites program is going to be a ten year thing? It didn't seem too clear on their site. Are they picking a new site for every state??

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I collected these thru change as did my parents. I think they found more for me than I did for myself because I hardly use cash anymore. It took forever to find Texas.

Anyway, I'm done, no more collections for me, ten years is more than plenty.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I think it's pretty damn cool that we're doing the territories now. I read an article a couple of days ago about the Puerto Rican quarter and that it will be the first coin to have Spanish on it.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
This is great that they are continuing the program for quarters.

I have been trying to keep up with the presidential dollar coins, but I keep spending them at poker games! They are very convenient.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've been collecting both quarters for each state. I have all but one "P" mint, and over half of the "D" mint. The tri-fold holders, have spaces for both quarters for each state. I'll probably end up collecting any others that come along too.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
After reading everyone's response I am glad that I bought them from the Mint so I didn't have to hunt them down but the cost was ridiculous.

I am not sure that I want to make another investment like that again on some coins. Maybe I should buy a fold out book like you guys and collect them myself.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Wow, hard to believe that the United States Mint is actually acknowledging that the U.S. Virgin Islands exist.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
And another piece of trivia. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Duke Ellington is featured on the D.C. quarter. That is the first U.S. coin to be put into circulation that has an African-American on the coin by himself.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a folder to hold the state quarters, I highly recommend this one, though I don't recommend spending that much to buy it at Amazon (I only used that link for the pictures). I ordered it a couple months ago at DeepDiscount.com for $5.99 (it looks like they've since raised the price to $6.74). It's sturdy, well put-together, the coins stay in (unlike with the folder I used to have before I bought this one) and has a little velcro arm to keep it closed. Plus, it has spaces on the map for the six territorial coins. And you can see from the Amazon pictures the amount of details and information included. Well worth the money IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks