What's new

Starting out, first system. (1 Viewer)

logic951

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
Hey guys, I need some help... Its been a few years since i've messed with home audio and now Im gonna be getting a setup of my own. But its been so long that I feel out of the loop now. I know what speakers I want to get, but I am unsure of how much power I am going to need or what receiver I should look to.. As of right now Im gonna purchase two floor standing speakers and a center, the rears and sub will come later. Im going to be running all polk since its within my budget and I've heard the older models before and they sounded really clean. This is what I am going to be running as of now.
1 Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212
2 Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206
Eventually, I am going to get 2 more of those floors for the surround and a sub..
this is the sub I am looking at,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130
a friend of mine had that old klipsch synergy 500 12" sub, and that thing was just deep and crisp and thats the sound I am after. So please let me know what receiver I should look into for this setup, keep in mind that I will be adding the 2 rears and the sub. probably within the next 3-4 months.
thanks,
Logic

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
So please let me know what receiver I should look into for this setup, keep in mind that I will be adding the 2 rears and the sub. probably within the next 3-4 months.
It would help to provide a budget, then we can help you with some suggestions. Looking at your speakers - you are spending $149.00 for each of the front 3 - for a 447.00 budget....
You want to add to more of the towers - 745.00 for the speakers...your sub runs $250.00....so $995.00 for all of the speakers...round it to 1000 to make it easier...
So, your budget should be around 1/2 of what you bought your speakers for...or $500.00...
If this sounds about right for you - let us know and we will make some suggestions...
Some other questions for you to give us a hand...
What are the sources (blu-ray, dvd, Cable box, game system(s), ect...) that you are going to be hooking up to the system?
What is the TV/Projector you are going to be using?
After answering these questions we will be able to give you some better advise...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would also add that the Polk 505 is one of their better low-priced subs but I'd still consider the BIC F12 or drop down to the Monitor 40's for surrounds and get a sub from HSU, Lava or Elemental designs. Money is better spent in the subwoofer than the surrounds.

logic951

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
Martino- I have actually heard the phrase you mentioned about "half your budget" and I agree with that statement... Indeed I do plan to get 2 more of the towers for the rears, but that is in time. For now the front stage will due just fine, and your estimate of the budget is about spot on so shoot me some suggestions.
My sources are, HD DVR Box, PS3 (gaming & blu-ray)
The tv I have now is an old samsung a650, but I will be upgrading to a Panasonic TC-P60ST50
Gene- If I swapped the surrounds for the series40 how would the quality of sound compare in regards to the 60's ?? I will definitely check into those other subwoofers, that would give me an extra 150 to play with for a better sub. I will be listening to alot of music with my setup as well, I listen to all forms of music, but hiphop is my preference. So im looking for something that will sound good in all ranges including the lower frequencies. That is why I mentioned the synergy sub, that thing was spot on when it came to producing the sound.
Any and all suggestions are welcome, Im not a picky guy i know what i want but you guys are the pros and Im looking for advice :)
Also, if you think there are better towers I can get for my budget let me know, the sub and the rears can wait.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The surrounds just don't do that much, whether it be 5.1 music or movies, to spend as much on them as the fronts. 5/7 channel stereo is the only setting in the receiver that would give the surrounds a workout. And even then the Monitor 40's would be more than adequate. Polk Monitors from Newegg are recommended quite often around here. Decent speakers and a good value. Monitor 70's would be even better (obviously :rolleyes:) but quite a bit more expensive.
Also concider the BIC DV64's http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=303-420 and the DV84's http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=303-454.
Fry's often has some great deals on speakers but you have to be lucky, and quick as they can sell out fast. I've saw the Infinty Primus P362's for $99 each a while back.
But I'd still stick with the Polk Monitors. Proven performance for the price. But more on the sub and less on the speakers is almost always the way to go if deep bass with good volume is what you're after.

logic951

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
how do the bic's compare to the polks?? I re-read you previous comment Gene, and had a laugh on the comment "Money is better spent in the subwoofer than the surrounds." I know this saying all to well, I have a JL Audio w7 12" in my car... and love the hell out of it... If i could afford the JL gotham..... I would have one of those on a silver platter :) but then again.... im sure it would be overwhelmingly loud in my house... I dont need stuff falling off the wall... In any matter, what are some good sub models outside of the 505.... and any receiver recommendations?? thats truly my need right now

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Polk makes decent speakers (I've always wanted LSi9's) but their subs are average at best. The 5005 isn't that bad but there are better alternatives at the same prices. Look at Lava, Epik, SVS, HSU and Elemental Designs. Sometimes Newegg.com has the Energy S10.3 for $199. Robert J is the subwoofer expert around here but those are the ones usually recommended. I have a couple of Dayton subs and a Dayton branded HSU. But the BIC F12 (and/or V-1220) is the sub in the $200 range.

logic951

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
when you say the Bic F-12 or the V-1220 is the sub in the $200 range, are you insisting that those would give me the most bang for my buck?? Also I am still in need of finding a receiver for my needs. 2 polk monitor60's series 2, one polk cs2 center channel and a sub... what are some suggestions for a receiver... all I will be hooking up to it will be my cable box and ps3.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Its been a few years since i've messed with home audio and now Im gonna be getting a setup of my own.
The tv I have now is an old samsung a650, but I will be upgrading to a Panasonic TC-P60ST50
Since you have been out of home audio for a few years - you are in for a treat with three new features - HDMI connectivity, Dolby and DTS looseness audio formats, and automatic room correction.
- HDMI cables are used to transfer both the best video and audio in a single cable connection, are relatively cheap, and very easy to connect up your whole system. For your requirements, you need at least 2 HDMI inputs (output from DVR and PS3 into Receiver), and 1 HDMI output (connecting your receiver to your TV) on your receiver. It is always a good thing to plan ahead, so I would add at least an additional 2 HDMI inputs...so for a requirement - 4 HDMI inputs, 1HDMI output. - For your current setup - you would need 3 of these - depending on the length from source/receiver and receiver to TV. Also note - this is all digital transmissions - so you don't need to buy into the Mon$tor cable hype and pay $90.00 for a super cable - they either all work or don't work at all...
Higher quality cables - one of our sponsors - and still have great pricing:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
Total budget cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240
-- Dolby and DTS looseness audio formats, and automatic room correction.
The good news here - even the lower level receivers now have these two features....so for some recommendations on a receiver..
You are planning a 5.1 system - but most receivers these days are setup for 7.1....but don't worry - you can configure them to play 5.1,and have an additional 2 channels available if you want to go to 7.1 in the future...
Recommendations:
I have been putting together a budget home theater, and decided to go with a refurbished unit instead of a new one to save on some money and still get the features I wanted. Going this route, and looking at your requirements, here are 3 receivers that would fit your budget and requirements, and all 3 are being sold for the same price...so look them over and select one that you would like....all of them have enough power, and all of the modern features to work for you...
DENON AVR-990 7.1ch Networking A/V Theater Surround Receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR990/DENON-AVR-990-7.1ch-Networking-A/V-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html
New - 1,499.99
Referb Unit - $449.99
5 HDMI in/1 HDMI out
120 Watt/Channel Power Amp
Onkyo HT-RC370 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC370/Onkyo-HT-RC370-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
New - 849.99
Referb Unit - $449.99
6 HDMI in/1 HDMI out
100 Watt/Channel Power Amp
MARANTZ SR5005 100w X 7ch 3-D Home Theater Surround Receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html
New - 799.99
Referb Unit - $449.99
4 HDMI In/1 HDMI out
100 Watt/Channel Power Amp
-

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
logic951 said:
Martino- I have actually heard the phrase you mentioned about "half your budget" and I agree with that statement... Indeed I do plan to get 2 more of the towers for the rears, but that is in time. For now the front stage will due just fine, and your estimate of the budget is about spot on so shoot me some suggestions.
Gene- If I swapped the surrounds for the series40 how would the quality of sound compare in regards to the 60's ?? I will definitely check into those other subwoofers, that would give me an extra 150 to play with for a better sub. I will be listening to alot of music with my setup as well, I listen to all forms of music, but hiphop is my preference. So im looking for something that will sound good in all ranges including the lower frequencies. That is why I mentioned the synergy sub, that thing was spot on when it came to producing the sound.
Any and all suggestions are welcome, Im not a picky guy i know what i want but you guys are the pros and Im looking for advice :)
Also, if you think there are better towers I can get for my budget let me know, the sub and the rears can wait.
You'll like the Polk Setup, it's basically the same one I have. Those Monitor speakers are good speakers.
For the rear, I'd go with the bookshelf as opposed to two more towers, simply because of the use (or lack thereof) they will get. Unless you like listening to music in Stereo.
Also, you will like the Panasonic Plasma. I have the TCP65S2...wonderful set.

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
logic951 said:
when you say the Bic F-12 or the V-1220 is the sub in the $200 range, are you insisting that those would give me the most bang for my buck?? Also I am still in need of finding a receiver for my needs. 2 polk monitor60's series 2, one polk cs2 center channel and a sub... what are some suggestions for a receiver... all I will be hooking up to it will be my cable box and ps3.
On the receiver, does it have to be brand new or are you willing to look at refurbed/owned?

logic951

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
Thanks for the links Gene! much appreciated!
I think I will indeed just jump to the bookshelfs for the rear... I remember when I used to work in home theater back in 07 listening to setups that we had on display and not noticing sound from the rear. Maybe because the movies they had playing didnt have much "surround" to them LOL! I will hold off on the rears for now and just concentrate on the front stage...
I've always been weary of Refurbished items and floor models... Any idea of a "fail ratio" of any product in regards to receivers?? I've always dabbed my foot in the water to test it out but afraid to have something happen to the unit. I always assumed though if it is factory refurb'd it goes through some sort of tests to check reliablity am I correct? How lucky have people been on the forums in those regards?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I always assumed though if it is factory refurb'd it goes through some sort of tests to check reliablity am I correct? How lucky have people been on the forums in those regards?
It is always a little risky going this route - but it is the best band/buck way to go....:I have gotten a few items from this site, and never had an issue. Here is a 3rd party review site - contains both positive and a few negative reviews about that site.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Accessories_4_Less
If you are a little wary of the reverb route and want to look at the same features/price point - you could look into something like this new for the same price:
Pioneer VSX-1022-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver - $449.99
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=250-631
HDMI: 6-in, 1-out
7 x 80 watts
A little down on power from the reverb units...but has most of the goodies - instead of Audicy calibration, Pioneer has there own brand...
Pioneer's exclusive Auto Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
logic951 said:
Thanks for the links Gene! much appreciated!
I think I will indeed just jump to the bookshelfs for the rear... I remember when I used to work in home theater back in 07 listening to setups that we had on display and not noticing sound from the rear. Maybe because the movies they had playing didnt have much "surround" to them LOL! I will hold off on the rears for now and just concentrate on the front stage...
I've always been weary of Refurbished items and floor models... Any idea of a "fail ratio" of any product in regards to receivers?? I've always dabbed my foot in the water to test it out but afraid to have something happen to the unit. I always assumed though if it is factory refurb'd it goes through some sort of tests to check reliablity am I correct? How lucky have people been on the forums in those regards?
3 of the 4 last TV's I have purchased were refurbed or open box/floor models. All 3 Plasma's. 2 of them I bought within a month of each other 6 years ago, still going strong. The other was a 65 inch Plasma and it's almost 2 years old, no issues.
Lower priced items I'll buy new because the savings isn't significant. But if I'm looking at an AV receiver that's 1200 new, or 800 refurb...I'll probably go refurb, especially if you can still get the same warranty as buying new.
The only issue I've had with refurbed items was a samsung blu ray player I bought. Got one, bad, sent it back. After the 3rd one I said keep it and refund me, went and bought a cheap panny and 3 years later it's still cranking.

logic951

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
thanks for the input guys, Ill definitely give the refurb route a try... you'll never know if you never try... After reading the reviews it almost sounds like the people that gave them bad reviews didn't get what the wanted which sounds like people where I work... they get something, dont like it so they want something new plus their money back.... Anyone here use "line conditioners/surge protectors" I set my mind on grabbing that panny 60st50.. got a nice bonus check coming in a month so ill grab it then!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know anything about line conditioners but always, always, always use a good surge protector on everything. Good, not expensive. I ruined a 55" rptv and a subwoofer because I was either careless (changed wiring with the unit plugged in and turned on) :blush: or in too much of a hurry (plugged in a sub to the wall socket with the power switch on) :blush: :blush: .
I recently receiverd a refurbed marantz 5005 receiver, 7006 BluRay player and 4003 cd player from ac4l.com and all work and look as good as new. But there can be issues whether it's used, refurbished or new. Refurbs can be a bit of a risk because they warn you up front that the item may have cosmetic blemishes. But the savings can be tremendous. I saved $1000 on those three items alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks