What's new

Starting my first home theather system! (1 Viewer)

jeremy05

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey Everyone, New User here! Well I just got a new tv and now I want a surround sound system. I would like to make my system a one time purchase and not have to upgrade after finding out I bought garbage. I would like a 7.1 system.

My brother turned my off Bose systems and suggested this instead.

A Pinoeer receiver SC-35

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/SC-35

For the speakers I was thinking of getting six of these M1 speakers from B&W

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Theatre_Solutions/Mini_Theatre/M-1.html

As for my Sub and Center channel Im not to sure what to use.

P.S Im trying to keep the speakers somewhat on the smaller side, the wife doesn't want giant speakers in our living room! haha. Shes pushing for the bose system

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/51channel_systems/component_systems/lifestyle_v_class/index.jsp#faqs

from what I hear about doing some research is Bose is not a 7.1 and you cant really add any Non-Bose speakers to the systems.

Thanks for any help everyone

Jeremy

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are getting B&W speakers then you need their matching center channel.

A quick look at other posts in this section and you will see the different subs we always suggest.

If your wife wants small speakers then we have different suggestions for non-Bose speakers that have a high Wife Approval Factor.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
"Danger, Will Robinson Danger" Whatever you do don't buy that Bose Lifestyle System. Your observations are right it is nothing more than an expensive HTib. You cannot connect non Bose speakers to the receiver, and you cannot connect the Bose speakers to a non Bose receiver. On top of that the required Bass module is a passive non powered sub, and the cubes so small that they don't produce much of any mid range or upper bass frequencies. Bose factory stores demo the system with specially produced audio sound tracks that make up for the poor quality in the speakers and when you get them home you will find they never seem to sound as good as they did in the store.

I own that B&W M1 as a 5.1 system and Robert is right you are going to want to use a M-1 speaker as your center channel. My wife and I had the same goals as your wife, We looking for a smaller size speaker for my family room remodel and for my ears the M-1 was my favorite of all that we listened to. It was a good balance of quality sound in a small package that we were looking for. I don't think you will find satellites that are much smaller than the M-1's that you will be happy with.

I am not familiar with the Pioneer receiver but they do build quality stuff. I would suspect that you can put a B&W and Pioneer system together for half the price that a Bose HTib will cost you, and you will have a quality system that will last you many years.

Another quality system to look at is the SVS, The speakers are a bit larger than the B&W M-1's, but they are an Internet sales company that offer good value for the money. Another system to look at is the Definitive Tech 1000. I am sure you will get suggestions on other smaller satellite systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.