What's new

Starship Troopers Versions Superbit, SE, vs. original. (1 Viewer)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I know I missed the boat on replacing my original edition of Starship Troopers with the Superbit when Bestbuy was having the $9.99 Sale. But, now I have this compelling itch to have it. Then last week Circuit City had the 2-disc SE for $7.50. So, my question is how much better is the 2-disc SE version than the original, and then is the Superbit better yet, than the 2-disc version? I am just concerned with video/sound.

Oh, and if anyone has a Superbit version that they want to get rid of, for a reasonable price, please let me know. :b

Thanks,
Adam

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion...

the SE has better video than the oldest original single disc version, audio is the same.

Superbit has quite a bit better video than the SE (by same margin as SE over original IMHO), and the DTS soundtrack is also a different sound than the DD track (which is identical to SE/original)... I'm not sure which I like better, DTS or DD. DTS definitely has better/stronger/tighter bass and also better localized surround effects. DD treble sounds somehow clearer to me though.

You give up a superlative suite of extras on the SE to go with the superbit though.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I'd go with the Superbit version for PQ and audio, if that's your thing. Do you have a Netflix account? Rent the extras -- they're pretty good for one viewing.

I own the 2 disc and the PQ and audio are pretty good overall. I'm satisfied enough to not double dip for the Superbit.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
With an eventual Blu-ray release on the horizon i don't think the difference between the Superbit and the SE is that compelling. Here's a comparison between the HD version and the SB version scaled to 1080p.

The 2-disc SE does have some excellent features on it though.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Adam,

By me at least, the SB 9.99 sale never really ended at Best Buy. Still tons of many titles at 9.99. These prices are not reflected by Bestbuy.com but I would check your local BB just in case they still have this one at 9.99.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
The commentaries on the SE are great. I normally don't listen to many commentaries any more, but these ones are very funny and informative.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
The $9.99 sale on Superbit DVDs is still going on at Best Buy, but I haven't been able to find a copy of Starship Troopers for that price.

At this point, it may not be worth the double dip. I'm sure a Blu-Ray version (this is a Sony title) is on the horizon. I figure that's part of the reason the current discs are being discounted.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
That HD grab looks so much better than the upscaled DVD one...

As for the DVD I've had all three R1 editions, and the first was great for the time but its soft transfer is shown up by the grainy, detailed goodness of the 2-disc edition.

The Superbit improves PQ yet further, with better compression and slightly finer detail. Wasn't really bowled over by the dts audio, but it's just as good as the excellent Dolby 5.1 track so no worries there.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
About picture quality, between the SE and the Superbit, on my 48" Mitsubishi I couldn't tell the difference. YMMV.

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

I have been checking the local Bestbuy, and they never had any copies.

I keep hoping though.

Thanks,
Adam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks