What's new

Stargate SG1 questions. (1 Viewer)

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
Futureshop has a sale on for stargate sg1 so I bought a couple of season sets (1 & 2). I'm half way through season 1 and like it so far.

Q1: Is it worth getting all the seasons?

Q2: Was there a season 9? I only found 2 episodes listed for that season.

Q3: If so, will they come out with season 8?

Thanks

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah its worth it. I got into stargate with the dvd sets also and now i watch it on TV since i caught up . Yes there was a season 8 which is coming out to dvd in a few months. Season 9 just started on Scifi 2 weeks ago. Plus the spinoff atlantis is in its second season. Some people didnt like S 6-8 but i really enjoyed them, and it seems a lot of other people did as well as the ratings have held strong

capt

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I think all seasons are worth buying, though the show does begin to get a bit stale around season 6. It's still better than most of what passes for scifi on TV...

Video quality improves in later seasons on DVD.

I also recommend Atlantis. I thought it was better than SG-1 last season though not as good as SG-1 at its peak. If you do pick up the Atlantis season 1 set when it comes out, I'd recommend not watching it until you start watching SG-1 season 8.

-Scott

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
SG-1 was fantastic, sort of. I did not see it dropping off in season 6, but I did with 8. So I have seasons 1 through 7, and I'm calling it complete. After you get season 5 you might want to check out the reruns of the next season to see if you like it.

Glenn

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I hear that a lot, but I liked Season One quite a bit. It was still fresh and close to the theme of the movie. Discovering various cultures from Earth's history, etc. Children Of The Gods, The Nox, Thor's Hammer, Torment Of Tantalus, There But For The Grace Of God, Politics, Within The Serpents Grasp, stand out among the season, but there are some other good ones as well.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Well said. If one can stomach stuff like 'Emancipation' - easily the worst episode of the series to date - then there's really no reason not to watch the rest.

John*D

Second Unit
Q1: Definitely.
Q2: Season 9 is currently airing in the US.
Q3: Season 8 will be available in R1 on DVD later in the Fall/Winter. Along with the first season of Atlantis

------

Great show. Wait until you are finished with season 2 and you'll be hungry for more.

Also, if I were you I'd wait to get all caught up with season 7 of SG-1 before purchasing the ATLANTIS season 1 set.

I'd also recommend the ULTIMATE EDITION of Stargate the movie in R1.

James T

Screenwriter
Hmm...maybe I'll give it another try. Someone told me to watch it and I never did, then they showed an episode on tv where Jack O'Niell was a kid. That got me interested enough to rent disc one, but I wasn't a fan of it.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I really liked this show (I lost track of it after the first few season though) so I might start getting these.

TroyMM

Grip
I just bought seasons 1-5 from dvdsoon.ca a couple of weeks ago, they had them 2 for $60 CAD (I'm still waiting for season 5 to ship). I think the sale is done though. Future Shop (Best Buy North) has them for $35.99 CAD (or they did last week).

I have just finished watching the first season (actually I have the last episode from season one to watch, which I will probably watch it tonight).

I am really enjoying it. I'm finding the last 5-6 episodes of season 1 are great. The story continues on instead of the "stand alone" episodes from earlier in the season.

Looking forward to season 2 (after I finish the last episode from season 1).

They just announced season 8 on sale Oct 4. That should give me enough time to finish the other 7 first (just kidding).

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Stargate SG-1's greatest feature, in my opinion, is that it has a memory like no other show I have ever seen. It continually builds on its mythology, reintroducing characters and referring back to prior incidents.

Absolutely buy the entire series.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
Steer clear of the truely awful season 8. Season's 1 to 5 on Showtime were great. As soon as itwent to the SciFi channel, it was downhill all the way. The show is now but a shadow of its former self.
It's become the Baywatch of SciFi: popular in its day, but much derided in retrospect.
If only they'd stopped with the 5th season.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry David, I disagree. While there were some things that were negative in some of the later seasons, (earth-bound conspiracy shows, shipping, less Jack, etc.), I still think Seasons 6, 7, & 8 were great, even if slightly below par compared to earlier seasons.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Me too. Keeping this spoiler free, six was sort of a letdown after season 5, but all in all, it wasn't all that bad, and season 7 was fantastic! I thought 8 sucked the big one though.

Aside from that, when you get a chance, go through the extras and the commentaries. Some aren't that great but others make up for them.

Glenn

Arild

Supporting Actor
Or better yet, don't! Season 8 (and to a lesser extent season 7), had some subpar (for Stargate) episodes here and there. But when it was good, it was really good. Not to mention that it paid off a lot of storylines set up in earlier seasons. Telling someone to skip season 8 is like telling someone to only watch the first 3/4 of a good movie because you don't like the ending.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

I can't tell you how good it is to hear that. I've only seen seasons 1-7, since I don't have cable and I watch them on DVD. I've seen so many people just bash season 8, and it's kind of gotten me a little bit worried. But with what you said about it, I have new hope. :) I'm looking forward to Oct. 4th, when I can buy season 8 and start watching! I just love to see new episodes! :D

Oh, and to the original poster, YES, it is worth buying the whole set. I've seen seasons 1-7, and I thought they were all great. Sure, there are a few episodes here and there that "aren't as good" as others, but every show has that, right? Stargate is one of my all time favorite shows, it's definetely worth buying all of it, from what I've seen. Enjoy!!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

LOL. And look where I'm from. ;)

I, too, haven't seen season 8 and look forward to October. Of course, I liked Jonas Quinn, so my opinion of S8 might not end up reflecting the norm.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you can't say you haven't been warned about the dire season 8!!:)
I beg you to stop at 7!! Viewing season 8 wil leave a very sour taste in your mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks