What's new

Stargate SG-1 Or Battlestar Galactica? (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I only have a limited budget for the next little while so I'm stuck with deciding which series get get right away.

I'm kind of leaning towards BSG as it would be cheaper (ie less seasons) but the SG-1 sets (the new ones anyway) seems to be harder to find around here.

Which series has the better video, audio and extras?

Katherine_K

Second Unit
On those grounds BSG would be the choice I'd make, SG1 has good extras and excellent video in it's later seasons, but there are almost no bonus features on the first three seasons (they make up for it, season four on has an commentary track on every episode), and the first three seasons of SG1 were shot on 15mm so they tend to be grainy. They switched to 35mm film stock the last episode of season three, and than to HD in season eight.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
"Battlestar Galactica" is a terrific show...not just a good sci-fi show, but truly one of the best dramas on television currently.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I like BSG alright, but Stargate is a lot more fun. If I had to choose, that's the choice I'd make. I will be in the minority there. The slims are easy to find around here. I wish I could trade in for that packaging.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Stargate SG-1 for sure. The later seasons have better extras, but the first seasons are heady with a sense of adventure that fades the more they learn about the galaxy. S1 is especially strong with episodes like The Torment of Tantalus, The Nox, Thor's Hammer and Within the Serpent's Grasp.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
"Stargate" is a fun show.

BSG is dark (and getting darker) and can be somewhat depressing at times. It is an excellent show, but I dunno how well it'd hold up on repeat viewings.

Sometimes, the shows with a bit of a "lighter" tone are more fun on DVD.

To use another example, I love the show "The Shield" and own it on DVD.

However, for shear "re-watchability" a show like "NCIS" is much more enjoyable.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think rewatchability is the key to what I was getting at. I was deeply enthralled by BSG while watching it on DVD (which is how I first watched it), but I'm not wanting to go back to it right now. I probably will in the future, and I will definitely be there for season 3. But Stargate--another show I first watched on DVD--was some of the most enjoyable TV I've ever seen. I love the mythology they built up and the chemistry between the leads.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this thread earlier and held back, as the original poster asked strictly which of the two series had "better video, audio and extras," leading me to believe that he has probably seen both series and has his own opinions on them. I figured it would turn into a BSG vs. SG-1 war at some point. ;)

*cough* bsg

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Ethan,

I figured that was coming as well. I love and own both shows, but if the basis for Roger's question is as he said "better video, audio and extras" than comparing BSG Season 1 and SG1 Season 1 puts BSG on top. The extras on SG1's first season are forgettable, the video suffers based on the kind of film stock they used alone.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the opinions. I really didn't mean to make this into a VS thread. I have seen BSG and the first few seasons of SG-1 and enjoy both alot. I will eventually get both shows.

Did all the SG-1 sets have 16x9 and 5-1 audio?

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
hehe, I was very impressed by your answer Katherine, it was both impartial and very knowledgeable. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Rewatchibility is a key. I have had all of Babylon 5 on DVD for years and haven't watched it. But now, with the lull between Stargate and Sopranos, also John Doe over and the current run of Dr. Who over as well, I have started watching that set again. IMHO, Stargate is more rewatchable than BSG. BSG is good, but I kinda feel like I've seen it, not too interested in re-watching. OTOH, I could watch "Window of Opportunity" daily, it's soooo funny. :D

RogerH

Supporting Actor

That is one of the reasons why I'm undecided thus far although I'm leaning towards SG-1 a bit (55-45 ;)) Plus it helps that BSG is easy to get around here unlike SG-1 for some reason.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that I'm siding with Starget SG-1 this time around, especially the Richard Dean Anderson years. Stargate SG-1, in my opinion is far more cooler and a better sci fi series than Battlestar Galactica, although BG is a pretty good series in its own right. If you want the series from the beginning like most of us have, you see an evolution of the main characters and they really draw you into each episode and you start to feel for the characters. BG, while it is a decent series, seems stiff at times and too repetitive and uses smiliar techniques that seem too familiar at times. Both series are pretty decent to watch but if you're going for budgetery reasons, I'd say Battlestar. If you're interested in something more and want to invest time in a new sci fi series I'd say your best bet is Stargate SG-1.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Hopefully I don't derail this thread too much here, but reading some of the comments about Stargate lead me to ask...

I have all of the DVD sets and have just never made it too far into them (I think I am almost done with disc 2 of Season 1)... I did like what I saw, but I can't say I was really "into" it.

I did catch most of season 9 when it aired (Ben Browder and Claudia Black drew me to do that, since Farscape is one of my favorite shows) and found most of the episodes to be pretty boring.

I also started watching Battlestar Gallactica, was into it immediately, and now I'm thinking it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

All that being said... do those of you who prefer Stargate find this last season somewhat lacking or is it conistent with previous seasons? Or did I need to have seen the whole series to appreciate the last season more? I still am hoping I can get around to watching those DVDs at some point...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That would probably help since SG-1 is one of the most serialized shows this side of a soap opera. They often reference things that happened 4 or 5 seasons ago. That's one of the things that is so great about the show is its rich tapestry of continuity.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
One of the richest things about SG1 was the character development and interaction, especially of the team itself, as time went on. You really got to know the characters as they got to know themselves and each other.

That is kinda missing from the latest Seasons, it's still there, just not quite as strong.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

Now that I would disagree with, it has a certain understated humor. But than again saying a serious drama isn't funny enough is a little missing the point. And again, as I said up thread, he was asking about video and extras. This was not a "which show is better" thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks