What's new

Stargate SG-1 New season (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I think Gateworld exaggerated by calling SG-1 and Atlantis' numbers 'disappointing.' I'm sure SciFi was happy that the ratings for SG-1 stayed consistent considering the huge shake-up.

As for Battlestar, I don't personally like the show (too dark), but I think it's popularity is tied to it's sex appeal and good storytelling. It's not like the female contingent of SG-1 is posing for Maxim & Stuff :D. It probably didn't hurt that NBC recently aired episodes in primetime, either.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I liked Claudia's comment about Browder and Shanks looking alike. They do sort of, it's more of the hair and the facial features.
Overall I liked the episode, I'm interested to see where the Arthurian influence goes.
Beau Bridges character just seems to be trying to figure the whole thing out at the moment, I think that's why he was a bit flat, but I'm excited he's on the cast.
Can't wait for this week's ep.
I think I just regurgitated what everyone else said, but it appears that people liked it over all, which is good to see the show getting more appeal.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My wife and I talked aboout this past week's episode, how we are seeing a contrast between the Ancients who allowed themselves to be viewed as benevolant gods, and the G'ould, who enslaved their subjects. It's kind of what the Asgard had done in Earth's past. The alien coming forward and restoring Vala to life was just cool.

Liking the direction the show is taking.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I'm still of the opinion that Ben Browder was a good choice for the new lead. The two episodes have been great and Claudia Black is now one of my favorite sci-fi actresses. She's got this cute, yet completely stunning and goofy yet serious vibe going, more of a Sam counterpart till Sam comes back. This weeks episode looks ever better. I love this show.

I thought the new Doc was more of a former romance, but I think I agree she might be his daughter.

John*D

Second Unit
There will be regular opening credits for SYNDICATION and possibly DVD according to Gateworld.net

The shorter openings are to add about 50 seconds for an extra commercial. It beats them shortening the season once again. Last year they started to shorten the seasons from 22 to 20, just be glad it's just the opening and NOT an EVEN shorter season.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm enjoying the season. They give a lot more meaning to Daniel having been previously ascended and why he's back in mortal form, to fight the Ori, with his knowledge of ascension.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I have watched every episode of SG1 since the beginning. There are been some great ones, and there have been som stinkers.

These are mostly stinkers, IMHO. Claudia Black is a gorgeous woman who is completely underwritten. She's a stock character, and from the vaudeville days. And the dialogue for these 5 episodes has been ok to bad.

The story is fine. The Ori are powerful enemies, and I often enjoy a powerful enemy. If they seem invinceable, I can assume they are not, but getting to their vulnerability could be interesting.

Maybe next week when Claudia Black is gone I will enjoy it more. Well, my eyes won't, she has had some fun costumes.

I will welcome the return of Amanda Tapping, Teal'c being given more than "Indeed" to say and some further development on the situation with the Jaffa.

Ivan

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I'm still wondering if Browder should just go with his farscape character and be done with it. :)

Landry seems to be getting plenty more screen time than Hammond ever got ...

I'm enjoying the season so far, but I agree that Claudia's character seems too out of place for the SG show.

Teal'c has not really had much to do so far ...

Regards

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm enjoying this season a hell of a lot more than the last two seasons (a lot of going through the motions, IMO).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

This is yet another attempt to get into the show because I feel it is Sci Fi lite and even though I like seeing Ben and Claudia again I am still underwhelmed.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Mikel, you are a tough critic (I mean that respectfully) so I am not surprised. TOnight the regular cast returns and Claudia Black does not, so it should be a more representative version of Today's SG-1.

Watch 1 more time.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Not quite right. Amanda Tapping returns and Claudia Black departs. They do overlap. Black was pretty much missing from the various previews and ads, which could give one the belief that she would not be in the episode but they had to break her bond from Daniel before she left.

It was a good episode. I liked the ending and I hope to see more of Vala in the future. Her character did mature and evolve over the last two episodes. Not the shallow, self centered person she was made to be in the first three episodes.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

How about a fresh take on the villianous-Goa'uld-betrays-the-SGC chestnut? Haven't we been down this road one too many times?

As much as I love Maury Chaykin (Nero Wolfe!!!), they could have worked on Nerus' motives a bit more. The actor truly saved the character from a total crapfest. I enjoyed the episode, but it truly felt like TPTB were on autopilot.

Glad to see Carter back! (upstaged in the thinking dept by Vala?!)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I agree about the giant stargate (cool!) and noticed that Vala upstaged Carter in the brains department (Carter's excuse: she's in love, IMHO.)

The thing that jumps off the screen to me is that the staff of the show seems to be going out of their way to create the Borg (pre-Voyager, when they were badasses.) Earth used our biggest weapon and the Ori just sucked it up.

The fact that I know that Earth and it's allies will eventually figure out a chink in the Ori armor is kinda keeping me from enjoying this to the fullest. (edited)

I think it'll be more like they will forge a new alliance with someone, such as an ascended Ancient of the good kind who breaks the rules. But wait, didn't I see Baal in the previews? (I am not sure, but it was one of the Go'auld).

Thematically, it seems to be the Tauri's ability to create alliances that saves the planet time after time, not our ability to invent technology. (Big Star Trek theme there)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks