What's new

Stargate Box Sets (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I opened up a can of Worms. I never watched this show because I do not have showtime. Then when it came on Syndication I never watched becaused they'd be in the middle of a season and I would'nt know what was going on. But I decided to pick up Disk1 because Best Buy had it for $9.00 so what the heck, I liked the movie. Bad move cause Now I want to see more. And bad move on getting Disk 1 because now after I buy Vol 2. No more for me until Sept when they put out the rest of season one. Seriously I don't know why MGM is delaying releasing these and the Next set. It's especially unclear on Disks3-5 of the 1st season. Since they are individual volumes anyhow. I like that they put 5 shows a disk, makes it a good bargain . I hope they eventually release Season 2 individually. With all the Box sets coming out it's making it financially hard to come up with the $$$. But at $10 a pop for the individuals I can pick them up here and there.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I hear you Frank...when I first got Season 1 in May of 2001, I figured it would take me all summer to watch it, but it only ended up taking me about 3 days :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's a reflection of how long it took me to aquire seasons 2 and 3, while recording season 4 out of order on Showtime Beyond, then organizing them while taping the first half of season 5.

If I had easy access to every season, it would have been quicker.

I have yet to see a season of SG1 that I thought didn't exceed the one prior.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Dave, Playcentric is pre-selling the season2 box for $34 shipped. That was enough for me to place an order.

Yeah, the show is good, it's really good. Not great SF, but better than most of the cheapie produced stuff that passes for SF on TV these days. (Although I hate to admit, I kind of like the cheezy-ness of Lost World).

I imagine even though it's not on Showtime anymore they're still filming it in a 16:9 format? The early episodes were filmed that way before SHO-HD existed, so I hope they'll continue that way.

Suprisingly enough, even though I watched the 1st season box when it came out, I still remember most of it. That attests to the quality of the writing. Maybe a short revisit to the season finale is in order...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The season finale urged me to find a way to watch the following season immediately. I'm glad I did since it's been a long wait for season 2 on DVD.

Scifi not only allows them to continue filming in 16x9, but as they do not show SG-1 in 4:3, there is no longer reason to protect for 4:3.

I'm tempted on Playcentric, though Deepdiscount has it for only a bit more. I've been told Playcentric has improved dramatically. DeepDiscount has a lower price on Season 1, presumably because they've already adjusted for the new SRP.

I've gave my mother Season 1 last year for her Birthday. Season 2 should be easier on my wallet this year.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll probably order Season 2 with DDD, It's not worth saving only a bit less when you factor in you have to pay upfront. I've never had a problem with DDD.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I preordered mine from Amazon with Share the Love and a $5 coupon. I think my total ended up being ~43. I've had a coule bad experiences w/playcentric, so I'll probably just stick with my Amazon order.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've ordered it from DDD and shot them off an email for a price match, I'll let everyone know....

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I was off to lunch. Last time I tried DDD would not price match as Playcentric is Canadian. Please let me know if anything has changed.

You've inspired me to induct another coworker into Stargate SG-1. I've lent her the film and Disc 1 of the series.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Playcentric has a New York contact adress they do not seem canadian to me. I was aware they would'nt PM Canadian sites, oh well we'll see I can always cancel it.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, Playcentric is definately Canadian. For a $1 difference I'd just stick with DDD.

As far as Playcentric's rep goes, they've gotten alot better. I just placed a $100+ order with them, they made 1 mistake by excluding an item and another DVD was on backorder. It took two weeks for them to resolve it, they responded to all my emails. Not bad considering the money I saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks