What's new

Stargate Box Sets (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've seen the Season 2 box at Playcentric.com for the excellent price of $35, plus there's a $3.50 Coupon, but I'm weary, I've never ordered from them before and they charge you upfront on Preorders.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, I'd rather buy it on DVD anyways, just to avoid the commercials (besides the fact I have an HDTV)...
Careful on that one. The DVD boxed sets will probably not be at season 6 by the time the film comes out, presuming that remains on it's current "schedule".

Dave - there are several threads on playcentric in feedback and coupons, with people's experiences. It seems people are getting their stuff. I'm still wary though.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
OK, what I mean

SINCE SCI-FI IS NOT BROADCASTING SG-1 IN 4:3, THEY NO LONGER HAVE TO COMPROMISE THEIR COMPOSITIONS FOR THAT RATIO AND CAN SOLEY CONCENTRATE ON 16:9

The show was shot for BOTH ratios before, now only one
So far as I know, only PPV and premium (HBO/Showtime) are broadcasting in DD 5.1 right now

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
^ What he said.

I still do think seasons 1-5 still look better in 16x9, but I can't imagine season 6 being acceptable in 4:3.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
How are the quality of the Disks? I Notice they are only available DD2.0? I'm wondering why they did'nt provide a 5.1 mix? I should be picking up disk 1 tonight

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are some compression issues due to the fact that MGM decided to cram 5 eps on 1 disc, but it's nothing too horrific

Because the show wasn't mixed in 5.1 till Season 3 I think (could be wrong). There was no reason to mix 5.1 since Showtime didn't have digital channels and there was no consumer hardware to recieve it from cable/satellite before then.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was kinda glad they had 5eps per disk , makes it kinda a bargain, hopefully the compression won't be too bad on the 65" WS Set. And glad to hear about 5.1 as of set 3

Eric F

Screenwriter
Careful on that one. The DVD boxed sets will probably not be at season 6 by the time the film comes out, presuming that remains on it's current "schedule".
Being that I don't have cable (sci-fi is analog and on channel 75 here, completely unwatchable) I can only watch it on my local Fox station. Being that they show it in no particular order, and pre-empt it all the time, I have no choice but to purchase the DVDs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Eric, they have to show it in order. The Pre-emption does happen around here all the time too. Good thing I've already seen them all

Eric F

Screenwriter
They have to show it in order? Well, you should tell WFXT that, because they don't. It's in a general order, but they commonly make mistakes and show it on all odd hours of the night.

I stopped watching it on TV after I got the first Box, so I've been waiting 18mos to see the second season. Talk about a cliffhanger...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Eric, perhaps you're catching it during repeats?

So far as I know, just like all syndicated shows, the production company arranges how things will run "The show for the week of X"

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah that will suck if I like the show I'll almost have to rewtch the set again... I'm going to buy the first season individually to test the waters, so I'll probably pick up the 1st two volumes tonight and have to wait till september to get the next 3 !

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I picked up the 1st disk tonight and watced the Pilot. DamnI think I'm hooked. I did'nt expect it to be so faithfull to the spirit of the movie. Hell even Micheal Shanks, whose playing Daniel is emulating James Spader.
I like Mcgyver in this role too. If the later eps are even better guess I better add vol 2-4 and Box set two to my list. BTW The picture is pretty nice considering this is a 5 yearold TV Show, can I hope for Similar from B5?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Disc 3 was my personal point of no return. The series does get progressively better as the episodes pass. Also season 2 is better than 1, and season 3 is better than 2....

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
One thing that impressed me of the pilot was that they acknowledged the movied Happened. Alot of series based on films ignore the source and start over. This one did not. Also the characters stayed true to the original. Even the actor that plays daniel kept some of the nuances of James Spader. The only distracting element was that every time they were out in the open I though "Hey Look the Canadian Wilderness" So how does the show age Season 4 and 5 is usually where things wind down for a show, look at X Files. I hear seson 6 is good but sometimes jumping to a new network can energize things.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
SG-1 has gotten better every season

The only thing they get rid of is Daniel's allergies (there's a reference later to the very strong anti-histamines that Daniel is now taking)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Man, I'm going to have to add this to my DVD wish list. I loved the movie, and the few episodes that I've caught here and there were great.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Because of this thread I decided it was time to re-watch season one again. I will save the last disc for the end of August but at the rate I'm going I don't know if I can. :) Yesterday I watched disc 1 and 2, all 6 hours and 45 minutes worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks