What's new

Stargate Atlantis (1 Viewer)

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

IIRC, ever since SG1 moved from Showtime to SciFi the show only airs twice each week. One for the East Coast and a second airing later that night for the Pacific time zone. I assume it's because they don't want to dilute the ratings for a first run series.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, SciFi like most cable channels has a separate West coast feed that is 3 hrs delayed, and has had one for several years now. So that used to be one of the reasons to repeat new episodes later that night, but other reasons remain. It certainly is helpful to people in the middle two timezones, and for people who prefer (or are only able) to watch later at night.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think the pilot repeated again on Saturday, but you asked too late for that.

I think your best bet is that it should be repeated again on Sept. 3rd, the first Friday in Sept., as both of them should go on reruns for the rest of this year.

Why I mentioned before that there is something else about the Atlantians that we don't know about yet was because when the city broke free, there were more cities in the background. I don't think that they'd have stargates too, so why were they still down there? What will it take to get them to rise too?

Glenn

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
For some reason this show is reminding me of Babylon 5 but with space vampires. :D

I am sure the city will fill with all kinds of beings from around the galaxy and Dr. Weir will be the Mayor or what ever you'd like to call it.

So far I'm extremely happy with the way it has turned out and will be looking forward to each Friday evening. SciFi really has been stacking the shows lately:

1. Stargate Atlantis
2. Stargate SG-1
3. Andromeda
4. Farscape (even if it will only be a few episodes)
5. Earthsea

derek

Second Unit
Count me in a someone who really enjoyed the premiere. I was hoping Atlantis would set a different and distinct tone from SG-1 and for the most part it succeeded. As someone mentioned we have a Bablyon 5-esque setup with Atlantis as our home base/melting pot. I really like the cast with the Sheppard, Weir and Teyla charaters standing out. The wraith seem like a formidable enemy and looking forward to learning more of their origin/history.

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if I should watch SG Atlantis or not. I haven't watched the SG-1 serries but find myself thinking that I missed a good show. I have been wanting to pick it up but not till I could see it from the start. I am wondering if I should jump on board with Atlantis or hold off on that one til I see the original serries? What do you guys recomend?

Thanks!

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that at times it was stiff, but overall I enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was easily they were able to figure out the Ancient's technology. Yes, they've been studying the output for a few months, but they made little progress. Yet, once they get to Atlantis, they're able to figure out the command consoles that run the various city. Even worse, was Shepard who was just made aware of the whole Stargate, was able to fly the ship with such ease. How long did it take Carter and O'Neil to proficiently fly alien ships?

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator

I think that you can just jump in and start watching SGA, kinda like I started watching Star Trek TNG & Voyager without watching the orignal. Although I would recommend watching at least the first season of SG just to understand the SG universe. I guess you could do that with the movie, though I couldn't stand the movie, but I enjoy the series.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but he missed the pilot. No, it isn't vital, but it does help. Will, what I would do if I was you would be to tape it if you can, but don't watch it. When the reruns start up the pilot should be on, and then you can sit down and enjoy. If you find out that it isn't what you want, just hit the stop button.

Glenn

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

I got the impression that the ship was doing most of the piloting by mimicing his thoughts. Which is why he asked for the sandwich ;)

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, I was worried I would be missing out on too much back history to pick up SG-1 this late in the game and worried that might be the case with Atlantis as well. It looks like the "reiterate stuff for the new viewers" might work to my advantage for a change. :)

I think I will start it recording, I have a pretty big TiVo so I can probably hang onto the episodes till the opener is repeated...plus we are talking about Sci-Fi channel...don't they repeat everything about 5000 times anyway? hehe. Thanks again for the info I was wondering about it.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Very impressed with it. Cool special fx, intriguing plot and yeah, the Wraiths are the scariest villains I've seen since the Borg. Man, was I creeped out every time they were onscreen.

That stargate floating in space looked cool as hell!

The cast was good I thought. Their interactions will get better with time. The irish doctor was funny. He looks a little bit like Grisom from CSI. I wonder if they're related.

I hope there are some ancients alive. It'd be cool to get to know more about them.
So are we supposed to be descendants from the ancients?
And if the ancients were so powerful and the Wraiths supposedly killed them, how powerful are the Wraiths then?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

They kind of made a point in the pilot that the Wraith were able to defeat them mainly due to numbers and surprise. Although they mentioned that the Wraith were 'as powerful as ourselves' or some such, it certainly seemed that if the Ancients had been prepared and had sufficient power reserves, they likely would not have been defeated.

RG

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say this was the best premiere for a scifi spinoff I've seen that I can think of. Only stopped from being the best premiere for a scifi show altoghether by Farscape's and SG-1's imo.
I'm glad they led up to the series well both with S7 of SG-1 and the opener in S8. I think its gotten off to a good enough start and shows enough potential that it could last as long as SG-1 has.

Although I don't typically like cast changes for a character I'm glad they found a different actress to play Dr. Weir as I didn't like the previous one at all. The Scottish character is great but I wonder how they'll keep him as the comic relief when he's dealing with saving patients lives. The Sheppard character is a good O'Neill replacement as long as they keep the Ancients genes thing to minimum use. The scientist guy was in a couple episodes of SG-1 and annoyed pretty much everyone, especially Carter. I loved the "using power, using power, using power" thing he did.

The Wraith do seem like they'll be good villains and Space-vampires would appear to be an accurate description.

I think the Ancients are long gone. If they abandoned Atlantis, they'd only have gone to Earth as it seems to have been their own "alpha site" (only one gate going there from that galaxy). I don't think they went anywhere else. Although I wouldn't be surprised to find a colony of them being kept in the stone ages somewhere by repeated feedings of the wraith.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

Well, the show hasn't even hit it's second ep and it looks like the Irish guy is out. Replaced by some Scottish scientist. I'll miss the Irish guy.:p)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Rex, it's Andres, not Anthony.
Thank you for the info. So I guess he's not related to Grissom from CSI (William Peterson?).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I enjoyed the show but it was nothing on the level of say Farscape. It may take time for the show to find it's lets and I'll give it a few more tries.
I like the main cast and I like the lead guy the only distraction I had was the Woman on the planet that was ravaged by the Wraiths looked very much like J-lo.
I am guessing we will see more of the Other Wraiths real soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks