What's new

Stargate: Atlantis Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The most interesting thing about that article to me is reading the talk back portion and seeing how passionate some folks still are about Stargate:Atlantis. My own reaction, after all these years of SG-1 and Atlantis, is more along the lines of, "Oh, OK."

There was a time when SciFi owned Friday evenings in this household. It was SG-1, followed by Atlantis, followed by BSG. That was the peak, but it couldn't last. Cancellation, schedule changes (BSG), scheduled ending (BSG), and another cancellation (Atlantis). Once these shows are done, I'll officially have no reason to watch SciFi. Maybe they'll do another Dune miniseries.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I can't say that I'm all that surprised by this cancellation. For whatever reason, it just seemed to me that the 10th season of SG-1 had more energy associated with it than Atlantis' Fourth Season. So I was surprised when SG-1 was canceled and Atlantis was extended. (I really did enjoy the first two seasons of Atlantis, though; and the third season was "pretty good". But since then it seems to have fallen off a cliff ...)

Arild

Supporting Actor
No surprise there. No series has ever gone more than five seasons on Sci Fi.

And the only previous series to even reach that far, at least that I know of, was SG-1.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I saw it (and will see every episode until it completes, despite the fact that I don't consider it must-see TV). It didn't register as any new ground on the ineptitude scale for me. But then, since I'm caring for a parent suffering from Dementia, maybe it was just a little more poignant for me.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

This actually concerns me. Takes place on a ship? New mythology? Attract younger viewers? Darker tone (BSG)? I'll give it a shot, but I'm not jazzed.

I think one of the main problems with Atlantis was the absence of a mythology - SG-1 was neat to see how the Egyptian mythos played into the series. Atlantis doesn't have any 'old stories' to fall back on. Add to that the musical chairs as far as personnel, and it's not real surprising that it's being thrown to the side.

I liked The Shrine; I'm not one of those Keller-haters you find on Sci-Fi or GateWorld. I also liked that R. Dax wanted to do it for Rodney, showing that while Sheppard is definitely his best friend, he's got a deep loyalty to his team.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
From the little I've read, the ship will travel on a pre-programmed course.

Along the route the crew will still will still be using Stargate's and explore new locations. They cannot reprogram the the ship's computer so they will have to wait until the mission is accomplished before returning to Earth.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

That's what a lot of people say. Will be interesting to see how this works as they'd have to be in another galaxy and without a ZPM, otherwise they could simply gate home.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
It actually sounds more like Space: 1999 than Voyager because at least they could control the ship on Voyager even if they were far from home.

Arild

Supporting Actor
People were saying the same thing about Atlantis before they saw it as well.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Kevin, your first point, right-on. This is always what has bugged me a little about Atlantis. Even SG-1 for a while got away from this. I really enjoyed the different Earth culture-based societies they encountered and Daniel's enthusiasm and fast-talking when they did. And endless Replicator and Wraith episodes have mostly been a turn-off.

I also liked The Shrine. Powerful acting by David Hewlett. Also liked seeing Ronan so obsessed in doing this for McKay. And then there is the dynamic of Rodney's revelation to Keller and how that will play out.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
New episode, titled "Whispers", tomorrow night! There's a preview on the MGM site, here.

After the 2 week break, I'm sure ready to see a new episode. Although with getting a new episode, that's one less new one that we have to see. I'm not sure the realization will really hit me until we get into the back 10 episodes of the season, though. SGA is my favorite currently "on-the-air" show, so it's really gonna be a bummer to see it go.

Anyway, I am glad they are going to do movies, though. An adventure with the SGA team once or twice a year will be better than no new adventures at all.
:D

Valerie

An Official Stargate Special Ops Member

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed last night's episode. It was somewhat like a show reset and should have been renamed Charlie's Angels Atlantis. :cool:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Also looked like a show meant to give most of the cast a break, since the only regular in the whole show was Shepard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks