What's new

Starbucks Chantico...wow! Now that's hot cocoa! (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Back from lunch...and Star Bucks.

I'm not a big chocolate fan but this, this is some mean hot chocolate. The nose is all chocolate with a slight bitterness. The mouth feel is very thick and chalky. The body is more-so heavy on the milk chocolate side with hints of bitter from the darker chocolates. It also has a nice roasty taste to it and finishes very smooth.

I must say, this is some addicting hot chocolate. It's likened unto a good, stronge stout beer served at room temp. A stonge blow to the taste buds, no doubt.

I like it! My Pumpkin Spice Latte had the consistency of water after this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Glad I didn't steer ya wrong, Ron! (although I still shake my head over the fact that you could do a Chantico w/ a Pumpkin Spice Latte chaser...) :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
only ron could pull this paragraph off and not sound like a pompous arse. ;)

shizzle my nizzles...now i gotta go try one. sheesh! why can't i lead for just once? :D

ps zen, i was thinkin' the same thing as you (re adding espresso to the thing...) :emoji_thumbsup:

---

i think this may be the most emoticons i've used in one reply...

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Here's a quick, simple question:

Do they do these to go?

I might bring a couple home for my wife and I, and let my 4 year old have a sip.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes they do offer them to go. In fact, I'm a little bit unhappy that the two times I've gotten the drink, they've just automatically put it in the little paper cup to go (it's like 1/4 the size of their coffee cup because it's only a 6oz drink).

For something this serious, if you're not a "to go" order, I think they really need to put it in a ceramic cup. In fact I'm going to try to go after work to get one, and I'm going to ask if they do that.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hot off my desk at lunch. The Chantico next to my Venti Pumpkin Spice.

Like with Zen, I could see this being a winner with an added shot or two. Next time :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Dude, you can't be serious. What the hell do you do all day? Look at how clean that desk is. Mine looks like a tornado hit it, constantly. Wait, did you clean it up before you took the pic? :)

Ron, great Chantico review, in the Let's Talk Beer spirit :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I tried this last night after reading thread. I couldn't do one every day, but that is one mama-jama of a hot chocolate fix!

Definitely need to add a shot of espresso to a chantico and make a Hardcore Mocha(tm) sometime. It's begging for it.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Yea I work at Starbucks and people are surprised this only comes in 6 ounce cups but when they taste it they are pleasantly surprised. If you look on top of the cup it appears to have the consistency of oil---it's thick guys.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Just had one, and it is just like drinking a melted dark chocolate bar. Maybe something to have a couple times a year.

It did take me only 5 minutes to finish it...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm going to get another one today and have them add a couple shots of expresso. I should be climbing the office walls by 1:30 or so.

And yes ZEN!.....I do work, I'm just a very clean, neat and tidy kinda guy. Some say it borders on obsessive, I lie to myself and don't believe it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
had one last week and they gave me a couple of coupns for a free one next visit.
used one today.
i had to hold it for over 10 minutes while walking around the mall with my wife because it was so hot.
i could barely hold it in my hand.

anyway after i cooled enough i drank it pretty quickly.

while i agree that it is very strong for a hot chocolate drink.
it isnt nearly as thick as i expected.
i'll be ordering this as at least a double size from now on. when i finished i just wasn't feeling like a had enough, i need more then 6 oz.
i enjoy this drink much more then a cup of coffee.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
When I was a kid, ok, smaller kid than I am now at 43, I had a drink (when mom did not look) that tasted like this, want to know what it was?

HERSHEYS syrup out of the can, thats what this tastes like only richer....but it looks like it was made with hot water...? The guy made mine in like 30 seconds.

Too rich and don't get me started on the calories.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
now that brings back memories.

i used to take a swig of hersheys syrup then a gulp of milk to wash it down.
my dog who just turned 17 is named after hershey syrup.
his name is of course Hershey.

Ashley Rose C

Auditioning
Once me and my friend we're in Boston, she had just recently broken up with her bf and was in need of a substitute to man. I brought her to Star-Bucks for drinkable chocolate. My friend is about 5 feet and 120 lbs soaking wet: she drank one, and then had another. Still not satisfied with these two drinks had another. Needless to say she was buzzed, and even more depressed then before because she realized how much chocolate was about to go to her hips:P

The drink is worth every calorie!:P

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Carlo The Pusherman!!

For some reason, I've been on a Hot Chocolate binge this winter. I'm usually a coffee guy, but I was looking for something different, so I started switching up to Hot Chocolate to break up the monotony.

Then the other day, I came across this thread, and thought "Damn, that sounds pretty good". So, I stopped into my local Starbucks, and ordered one. Much to my surprise, they told me it was on the house!! There are coupons on the counter, and they used one to "supply" me, free of charge.

After my first sip, I knew this was going to be a problem.
This is hands down, the best hot chocolate drink I have ever had. If it gets any more pure than this, I couldn't imagine drinking it.

The next day, I was back for more.

So I see what's happening here....
Carlo says "Hey man...give it a try...it'll make you feel good!"
Then Starbucks says "Saaaayyyy, man...don't hassle it, the first one's on US!!!
Now I'm jonesin' for these things.

I'm callin' the cops.
:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You'd think the Bux would give ME some coupons for free ones, what with all the business I've given them... ;)

And no, this is ***not*** made with hot water, but whole milk. The reason they make it in 30 seconds is that they are premixed (I asked my local Bux). So there's this plastic pitcher that has this plunger type thing that mixes the mixture. So the barista hits the plunger a few times to make sure the mix hasn't settled, then they put it into a metal pitcher and steam it to proper temperature. If you find that your Bux makes it too hot consistently, maybe you can ask them to back off on the temp.

Bux routinely makes cappuccinos and lattes too hot. Most professional baristas I know say to heat the milk to about 155-160 degrees F. Bux routinely puts it about 170. Don't know why.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

My sister was a barista and she said they did this because most people bought their drink and would not drink it til they got to work and by then it is at the perfect temp. People were always complaining that they made it too cold if they just made it at 155.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Actually they heat it up that way so they can keep the milk and not have to throw it away before it gets too cold. I am a barista at Starbucks and you can only "technically" serve milk at 140-160 degrees but the baristas will overheat the product so they dont have to throw it away. The regular coffee is served at 200 degrees.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
finally got around to trying one. a starbucks van was giving out free samples. the first time i wasn't very impressed ... it was kinda chalky and lukewarm.

but on our way out, we decided to give it another try. this time, it was a little warmer and *much* smoother. overall a pretty tasty drink, but i don't think this is one i would do on a regular basis.

btw, has anyone done this drink with espresso shots yet? i still wanna give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks