What's new

Star Wars- The Definitive DVD set (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Here's something really interesting I found in TheForce.Net concerning the release of the original trilogy on DVD. Supposedly, they are going to add more scenes (uh oh) to tie in better with the prequel trilogy. Here's an exerpt:
Rebel has proved their worthiness before, and now they chime in with something we cannot even come close to have confirmation on. Here's what we do know: After Episode III, there will be a definitive version and complete set of DVDs of all of the movies. In the meantime, there may be versions of the films on DVD, but nothing like this final set.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Can it be definitive without the original (unenhanced) SW films on it? I, for one, can wait until 2006 for this. Or 2008. Or whenever. I love these movies and they are a huge part of my childhood. I like TPM. But Lucasfilm can hold these over my head as long as he wants now. No more anticipation. I can wait, because I don't care. My Definitive Collection LD's will hold me over (available on ebay for cheap all the time, if you care) quite well. Too many good films by too many good directors are available or coming soon to DVD. Take care
wink.gif

Chuck
P.S. I really do want IJ on DVD. One h**l of a lot more than the holy trilogy.
P.P.S. It won't be definitive if I am stuck watch Han shoot Greedo first.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
As I've said all along, I also have no problem waiting a few years for this set... Because I DO care.

JeremyJones

Agent
I'm just glad he's doing them. It's hard to keep continuity through 6 movies, especially when the last 3 were done 20 years ago, so shooting scenes that will better link the movies is a great idea. Besides, as I've always said, you can NEVER have too much Star Wars footage! Exception: When it's 2 hours of Jar Jar stepping in poop.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I don't want to see new definitive enhanced special editions of the original trilogy. I would rather see fully restored and digitally remastered editions of the original-release versions, in 2-disc sets with lots of extras. That's all I really want. No "special edition" crap.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
By then will Mr. Lucas have come to his senses and dropped the stupid Jabba scene in A New Hope and have Han shoot first in the cantina??
I guess I could live with the "CGI'd- up the a**" SE's of the original trilogy if they'd at least do the above.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
On my dead body I will not sell the THX PCM edition of the trilogy (and with less fighting, the 5.1 trilogy ) as I smell a big pupu coming from Lucasfilms: the dvd editions will be heavily modernized, cgied etc to satisfiy the hurds of J6Ps who cry when they see black bars and who worship Lucas and are craving for tons of features, menus, interactivity and all that shit.
end of ranting.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The other thread is closed, and I half-started this mess. In all honesty, these are Lucas' films to do with as he pleases. It's my choice to like or not like them. As the films are so tied to my youth, the original is how I want to remember them. For me. But he can do as he will. I'll check them out. Some of the new shots were good. The dogfighting. Cloud City. The bantha herd in ROTJ. They enhanced the universe we were seeing. The change with Han Solo changed the story and the character. I didn't (and don't) agree. So I'll remember them my way. Just as I'll always think of SW as a trilogy. No amount of wizardry can make me 6 again (like I was for ESB) so I will never like the new movies as much as the old, except on their own merits as films. And I do not believe that George (as extremely talented is he in many areas) is that good of a director. This is not to belittle the new films, but simply to put them in context. And to be fair, Lucas is making them for younger viewers, not for us. In that, I hope he succeeds. I am glad there is such a great SE coming out for TPM. But I am a heck of a lot more excited for other DVD's this fall. Agree? Disagree? I am an idiot? It is what it means to YOU, and nobody else, that matters. Just because people don't agree with your opinion (or even when they do), doesn't change what a movie can mean to you. Just enjoy them as you want. GL can't make you like (or dislike) his new versions. Take care
crazy.gif

Chuck
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Miles_W

Second Unit
I'm not sure If I'm the only one here but... I have not even seen the Se's...
am I missing much (asked in all honesty!)
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
As long as he re-do's the Jabba scene from a New Hope, he can do whatever he wants.
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."
[Edited last by Nate Anderson on August 20, 2001 at 06:41 PM]

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i think that it's entirely possible that we might see the 'original' versions on dvd at some point, perhaps the end..
too many people prefer them, and releasing two versions would get me to buy them twice. it's not like i didn't buy them 5 times on ld.
we can only hope..
and i will be the revised versions as well.
a
------------------
visit neverville

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I saw Star Wars in the theatre over 30 times as a kid. I have yet to see the SEs. While I wouldn't mind getting them on DVD at some point, the only Star Wars I really want are the original unaltered versions.
I also haven't seen Episode I yet, but will be buying the DVD.
I don't mind Mr. Lucas doing what he wishes to the films, so long as he lets the original versions be released one final time on DVD.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
This may a dumb question, however, we all demand OAR (rightly so) when it comes to DVD presentations, because that is what the director intended when he created a film. What do we say when the same director changes scenes or adds material years later? Does the director or creator's new intent matter (even though Mr. Lucas appears to change his films to spark sales), when this happens? By the way I have never scene any of the SE's, I saw Star Wars 17 times in the theater as a kid.
Todd
------------------
I want the people to know, they still have two out of three branches of government working for them, and that ain't bad! -Mars Attacks

JeremyJones

Agent
While I whole-heartedly agree that we should have the original editions included on the definitive set, I have another idea. Why not make the definitive editions MUCH longer? I mean, don't just add 5 minutes or so. You've got the whole DVD, make them 3 hour edits! Fill them up! We'll have the originals to look back on, and the definitives to complete the story. I've always wanted a 3 hour or more version. Come on George. Shoot more footage!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I'm not sure If I'm the only one here but... I have not even seen the Se's...
am I missing much (asked in all honesty!)
Okay, the SEs are good and bad.
BAD: rethought some elements of the characters and tone of Star Wars--in the Greedo/Han confrontation, Greedo now misses a point-blank shot at Han before Han shoots him.
Frames have been trimmed from fights on the Death Star to remove blaster 'hits' on people.
Mos Eisley has been populated with more creatures, which is good, but some of the insertions call too much attention to themselves and seem to be of a different tone than the rest of the scene.
Jabba's confrontation of Han in Star Wars has been completed with CG...but Jaba looks cheesy and the scene really doesn't add much to the films (especially since Jabba seems so non-threatening, especially compared to Greedo).
Added shots of Vader going to his shuttle in Empire break up the flow of the sequence.
The Wampa looks cheesy.
GOOD: some of the effects are cleaned up. Some matte-lines removed or reduced, some opticals re-composited with less dirt and grain, and better colour and contrast. Unless you compare the originals and the SEs head to head, it's hard to recognize how much clean up work has gone into the SEs...I think Lucas said in an interview that the effects clean up on the SEs was to give the audience "what they remember seeing". This work alone is worth seeing the SEs for.
Mos Eisley backgrounds are now teeming with activity, and when it isn't calling attention to itself (like the silly robot at the beginning of the scene), it's great. It really gives Mos Eisley a personality.
Many of the replaced shots in the Death Star trench run are great: they're CG amalgams of two or three shots with more camera movement, the way the shots were originally storyboarded (they were then broken up because they couldn't execute them as single shots).
The new windows in Cloud City make it more open and 'bigger'.
I'm undecided on the celebration sequence at the end of Jedi.
Overall, I still prefer to watch the original trilogy...but sometimes I like to watch the SEs.

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
i am not a fan of the first star trek film, is there a lot of demand for the original of that as well?
just curious.
i wonder if trek fans are up in arms about the new release? (and i'm not too interested in the threads on it..)
you know lucas can't leave them alone, but i'm positive the discs will be amazing, regardless of the version included.
a
------------------
visit neverville

Gruson

Second Unit
Originals all the way.
How many times have we bought Star Wars now? :)
Normal VHS, Widescreen VHS, widescreen laserdiscs, SE laserdiscs, and even bad quality dvds (ah hum).
I would love it if Lucas would just release the ORIGINAL versions of the trilogy in anamorphic and even in their non 5.1 sound.
Guess we will get a more screwed up version in 2006 or so....love my LDs
wink.gif

[Edited last by Mike Voigt on August 23, 2001 at 05:01 AM]

Mike Mallory

Agent
I have to cast my vote with the original version crowd. By the time Lucas is finished in 2006, the original 3 movies will be hardly recognisable. Plus, the whole series will be dumbed down to a G rating. Yeechh! Did anyone else notice that in "Phantom Menace" not one human died on screen? While in the first movie, storm troopers and rebels were blasting away at each other in the first 10 minutes? Lucas has the power and the money, so now he's going to sugar coat us to death.
- Mike

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I seriously doubt that Lucas is the kind of man who'll just change his mind about releasing the original versions of these films. He has made it clear that he will not release these again, ever. I personally happen to enjoy the SE's, except for Luke's girlyman scream in 'Empire', the removal of Vader's line "Bring my shuttle!", and that truly aweful CGI Jabba in 'New Hope', but I too would like to see the originals hit dvd at some point, but Lucas seems determined in his effort to eventually phase the originals out of exsistence.
In any case, i'm all over these dvd's when they arive!
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"Did anyone else notice that in "Phantom Menace" not one human died on screen?"
Well, I did see actors pretending to die on screen when they were shot, blown up or run-through, but you're right, I didn't see any actual real-life deaths during the movie.
wink.gif

This is once again a case of slamming something because it's trendy to. A ship blows up at the beginning of the movie killing the pilot and co-pilot. There are several guys who get nailed by the big rolling/transformer droids, there's a pilot whose cockpit blows up, and Liam Neeson's character gets a lightsaber blade through the gut.
Not good enough I guess.
While TPM is not my favorite SW movie, I am definately looking forward to getting the whole series as just that: A complete set of the Star Wars Saga, Episodes 1 through 6.
I couldn't give a Bantha's ass whether or not Greedo shoots first, last or in between, or if Luke yells when he's falling or which side the bump is on 3PO's head... It's all trivia and has no bearing on my appreciation for this fun little space opera that I think will be a real hoot to watch in number order some day in a few years.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks