What's new

Star Wars The Complete Saga MEMBER REVIEW Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins said:
Jabba's door is an issue for me as the reverse shot now no longer matches. I am also glad to find someone of similar thinking to mine. Lowry screwed the pooch on this, they should have given it to Laserpacific
On the reverse angle we cannot see the full width of the door anyway because it is obscured by the indoor wall.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Now up to The Phantom Menace!! What can I say it looks overall jaw dropping (thankfully!!). There is a stunning level of sharpness, detail & clarity which rivals many newer Bluray's. In many places this is a demo BD. The colour timing looks perfect & is very vibrant. Audio is very good but still not as bass heavy as the Laserdisc mix....... It has absolutely no overscan issues either which confirms to me not enough attention was paid to the original trilogy in this release............... So many scenes look like you could almost reach out & touch the screen like they are in the actual room with you its a very good looking transfer but it does still have some issues though: 1: EE (edge enhancement) is excessive in a few places you can clearly see the yellow or blue halo outline. 2: Excessive use of DNR as well especially on the actors faces in many scenes then in others no DNR & it shows the difference between the two choices. Not sure why they did not apply it all or nothing as some backgrounds have frozen grain & obvious DNR its puzzling. This still does not detract from most of the movie which looks very good & reveals so many levels of detail you have to see it to believe it. I doubt many will be that disappointed overall with this presentation. Its the best of the 4 movies I have watched so far!!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mike Wadkins said:
I see little point in them spending too much money on this set, when they have to do a near full remaster for the 3D releases
But it sounds as if the 3D releases will depend on how well Phantom Menace does. That should be interesting. Still, one might think Lucas would want at least 4K scans of the original trilogy....whether the 3D versions are made or not....which would surely lead to a new BD release at some point.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping someone with a good sized screen will chime in at some point - I will be viewing them on a 128" 2:35 screen but probably will not see the set until at least a week after the release date. Some of the comments made are based on smaller displays - I guess time will tell.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Mike Wadkins said:
Jabba's door is an issue for me as the reverse shot now no longer matches. I am also glad to find someone of similar thinking to mine. Lowry screwed the pooch on this, they should have given it to Laserpacific
You're joking?!! This is an outrage! (any Mighty Boosh fans out there? ;)). First we have the new CGI (and poor looking) rocks in front of R2 which now disappear completely from subsequent shots, and now we have another example of a lack of care/attention to detail by a new addition. Seriously, I think this is disgusting and shows the piecemeal fashion by which George seems to update these films now. It's been said quite a few times recently, but doesn't anybody there WATCH the films after changes like these, to see if further shots need addressing? Unbelievable!!! I hope one of the official reviews addresses these new continuity gaffs - people really need to know!

I stll say the reverse angle of Jabba's door is only partially shown. The walls obscure how big it is from the angle shown on the inside looking outward. How can you say 90 percent of it was showing, when you don't know what's behind that wall, yes you may be physically right in the real world, but in the context of the movie, it's simply not shown.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Paul, you are, to my knowledge, the first and only person to notice these "overscan issues". Do you have the ability to show us screenshots of what you're seeing?

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Where is the fair and honest review of the Complete Saga??:confused: I have to ask this what size Television are these being watched on cause some people on other sites say that when you watch it on a smaller Television set it looks good but when you watch it on a huge Television it looks bad?????:confused:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Alessandro, "fair and honest" doesn't necessarily mean "it agrees with my views", you know? My order is shipping today, I'm looking forward to revisiting this thread over the weekend with my impressions, good or bad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dave H said:
But it sounds as if the 3D releases will depend on how well Phantom Menace does. That should be interesting.
Even if they had started with the original trilogy, I don't think the new 3-D cycle will survive long enough for them to even get to Return Of The Jedi in 2014.

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Ricardo C said:
Alessandro, "fair and honest" doesn't necessarily mean "it agrees with my views", you know? My order is shipping today, I'm looking forward to revisiting this thread over the weekend with my impressions, good or bad.
I agree. mine is shipping today too.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Stephen Brooks said:
Paul, you are, to my knowledge, the first and only person to notice these "overscan issues". Do you have the ability to show us screenshots of what you're seeing?
They are there, there is a blue line in the throne room scene on the right hand side: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=77579

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Alessandro said:
Where is the fair and honest review of the Complete Saga??:confused: I have to ask this what size Television are these being watched on cause some people on other sites say that when you watch it on a smaller Television set it looks good but when you watch it on a huge Television it looks bad?????:confused:
Mine was honest, if you agree that is up to you. I watched on an ISF calibrated 50" THX rated plasma at around 6ft

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Mike Wadkins said:
Lowry screwed the pooch on this, they should have given it to Laserpacific
To be fair to Lowry, he did state that they weren't given near enough time to do these titles justice. I believe a month per film if I recall correctly. He wasn't happy about it... Plus the HD masters that have been used for these 2011 blurays date back to 2004 (!). I'm sure if Lucasfilm had gone back and done this properly (i.e. starting with a fresh scan), Lowry's dirt removal work would have been of a much higher standard today. Let's face it - Lucafilm used old HD transfers for the main films, and even older transfers for the making of docs and other items. This set is an exercise in re-purposing out of date transfers, at least as far as the OT side of things is concerned...

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Mike Wadkins said:
Mine was honest, if you agree that is up to you. I watched on an ISF calibrated 50" THX rated plasma at around 6ft
Yes yours is honest and yes i will look for that stuff when my set arrives as i have a 50inch Panasonic tv.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
johnSM said:
To be fair to Lowry, he did state that they weren't given near enough time to do these titles justice. I believe a month per film if I recall correctly. He wasn't happy about it... Plus the HD masters that have been used for these 2011 blurays date back to 2004 (!). I'm sure if Lucasfilm had gone back and done this properly (i.e. starting with a fresh scan), Lowry's dirt removal work would have been of a much higher standard today. Let's face it - Lucafilm used old HD transfers for the main films, and even older transfers for the making of docs and other items. This set is an exercise in re-purposing out of date transfers, at least as far as the OT side of things is concerned...
If these were the only Lowry restorations with these issues then OK, but it's kind of their trademark

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Warren said:
Just saw Return Of The Jedi: Oh dear this is not a good transfer at all!!!! it has more details than ROTJ ever had before at home obviously but.......... in no particular order I found the following issues: 1: Waxy faces 2: Over saturated colour
-Waxy Faces....where? where did you notice this? -Over saturated color...yeah it is a bit over saturated in spots. I Only watched it once, but calling this a poor transfer would be the last thing I would expect to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks