What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Wars: The Complete Saga Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Episode 1 gets 4/5 for video quality, yeah ok.

With regards to the original trilogy there is no mention of frozen grain in some scenes and no mention whatsoever of any edge enhancement sharpening in the original films and The Phantom Menace.

I did around 3000 words per film when i wrote my reviews, i took a lot of time with them and i thought these reviews were going to be indepth and detailed, i am just a bit disappointed to say the least but hey i suppose we all have a difference of opinion on these things and a different way of doing things, i'm just a little flabbergasted and open mouthed at some of the scoring and the fact no issues are mentioned, things seem to have been glossed over, why. ? Did you not see any edge enhancement sharpening or consider it not an issue on your set. ?

What size is your display that you are reviewing these on. ?
Obviously the issues aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be, otherwise we would see a lot more negative reviews. The EE, and "Frozen Grain" are trivial, as this is the best Star Wars has EVER looked on home video.
Great review Matt. You summed up my feelings exactly. Quite a big task covering all movies(and features) is so short a time.
And yes, Return of the Jedi looks phenomenal.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Alessandro said:
I think i will pat myself on the back thank you very much i knew this would be a positive review.....:cool:
Thanks for making this Blu-Ray set happen. You deserve all the praise you get

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Matt. I'm still not buying the set, simply because I don't want enough of it to justify paying $80-90 (although for the quantity of materials, that is certainly reasonable). But it's good to know that what's there is worth it for folks who aren't bothered by the same things I am.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Thanks for the review Matt! My set arrives on Monday as I pre-ordered it off Amazon through HTF. I can't wait!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review#post_3851650
Obviously the issues aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be, otherwise we would see a lot more negative reviews. The EE, and "Frozen Grain" are trivial, as this is the best Star Wars has EVER looked on home video.

You obviously haven't read my review where i state they are MINOR issues, the point is they exist, any review should mention them, therefore to reply to me and try and say i am calling them really bad is wrong.

What is trivial to you may be a big deal to someone else, thats why reviews should point things out and let the viewer decide for themselves.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I haven't had the chance to watch the movies yet (they only arrived this afternoon), but as for some of the PQ issues, I wonder if the screen size does matter. Although I won't say whether Static Grain, DNR, or EE are present, maybe they are more noticeable/less noticeable depending on your setup. A 110 inch screen is four times bigger than a 55 inch screen and might reveal more issues.
It might be a case where one reviewer actually sees different things than another reviewer.
David

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review#post_3851674
I haven't had the chance to watch the movies yet (they only arrived this afternoon), but as for some of the PQ issues, I wonder if the screen size does matter. Although I won't say whether Static Grain, DNR, or EE are present, maybe they are more noticeable/less noticeable depending on your setup. A 110 inch screen is four times bigger than a 55 inch screen and might reveal more issues.
It might be a case where one reviewer actually sees different things than another reviewer.
David
Very likely, even different display technologies might reveal more or less of certain things, i mean film grain on one display technology may look less or thicker on another type of display technology even when calibrated, think LED, Backlit LED, LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCOS, they all have different characteristics, whether a set is calibrated or not, your viewing distance, your tolerance levels to some things might also be different, there are indeed many things which can affect a person's opinion and what they are seeing.

I tend to forget things like this and get caught up in the passion of the hobby, thanks for reminding me of these things and i will try and take the passion down a knotch or two.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I picked up the set today from Laser Blazer, as a gesture of support to them. Even though the price is a little higher than Best Buy, I'm trying to keep those guys in business as long as possible, as they've been very good to me for the past 10 years.

I look forward to going through them on the 65" VT30 after dark.

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Bryan^H said:
Thanks for making this Blu-Ray set happen. You deserve all the praise you get
As usual another second rate citizen type comment... Maybe you should read a few posts back as to why i said that.
Oh i did not know that you could vote about someone's post well looks like you have attracted more second rates to your post...
You people don't like what i am saying don't provoke me and i won't get nasty.... Grow up and stop acting childish I don't have to stand here and accept your abuse just because i choose to say that i like the blu's. :rolleyes:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Alessandro /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review#post_3851684
You people don't like what i am saying don't provoke me and i won't get nasty.... Grow up and stop acting childish I don't have to stand here and accept your abuse just because i choose to say that i like the blu's.
Nobody is abusing you because you like this set There are a LOT of people here who like the set.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
By now, I'm pretty convinced Alessandro is just trolling. Or else he got lost on the way to theforce.net.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo C said:
By now, I'm pretty convinced Alessandro is just trolling. Or else he got lost on the way to theforce.net.
Whatever it is, his act is getting annoying fast. I can just picture him sitting at his keyboard yelling "WINNING" like Charlie Sheen every time he posts.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
TravisR said:
I don't think John is mad at you. I think he's trying to point out that you're acting like you're winning when there's no contest. Frankly, this review just backs up what most of the other reviews have said- the video is decent enough but could have been better and the audio & special features are excellent.
Yes, yes and yes :cool:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No. I am.
e312ede7_duh252C2Bwinning.jpeg

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the review Matt. I have set it once and I will say it again- Star Wars can bring out the worst in people. There are some out there who will knock whatever is made available regardless of the quality. There are some that will praise whatever is out there, again regardless of the quality. Trying to figure out exactly where the truth is can be tricky...
FWIW I think The Phantom Menace looks and sounds outstanding. Shockingly enough, it has aged much better than I thought it would. Some poor dialogue and cheesy acting aside, it is a very entertaining movie.
The only OT movie I have popped in has been Star Wars. So far I have VERY mixed feelings. Some high level of detail, but some scenes that look soft. Really noticing color saturation and crushed blacks in high def... still it's probably the best the movie has looked in 30 plus years.

gallandro

Agent
Real Name
Yancy
Great review Matt! I've enjoyed the heck out of this set and can't wait to delve into more of the bonus features and commentaries. The films have never looked better on home video!
Yancy

K

Kevin Collins

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review#post_3851642
Thanks Matt. I watched IV last night with a few other HTFers. I need to acknowledge that I can watch either the movie or the transfer, rarely both at the same time. Last night I watched the the movie. Before I got completely sucked in I was amazed at the detail level on R2 and C-3PO during the opening battle scene. I was hoping to be able to watch them with my 5 soon to be 6 year olds, but it looks like I'll need another year or two, the attention span isn't quite there yet.
Any other comments on picture quality and sound? I know you were "watching the movie", but did you notice any other immersive experiences compared to previous viewings? Were any of the digital effects clearly notieable on the 10' screen that jumped out and distracted from the movie? Things that would never be obvious unless you watched it on a HD version?

K

Kevin Collins

Paul_Scott said:
I didn't buy the complete set, just the OT set so I can't comment on the prequels. But I agree with your assessment of SW and ESB. 3 out of 5 is about where I would rate the PQ on these discs as well. The black crush baked in to these inhibit any truly natural look and the end result comes across as having some wonky gamma issues. While I would have loved to have seen some of the special features pertaining to these two films, I would have been even more disappointed had I opted to spend an extra $50 to get them only to see the films themselves so presented in such underwhelming fashion.
Thanks Paul! What display unit do you have? I haven't got my copy yet from Amazon.COM....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks