What's new

Star Wars Limited Edition DVDs $9.99 at Costco (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
If you held out on buying the 2-disc release with the letterboxed original versions, Costco has them for $9.99 each. For $30 I may just cave and buy them to replace the single disc editions from the box set.

I'll hold off until after Celebration IV -- I don't want to be duped by the beard, just in case LFL makes a surprise announcement about the Ultimate Edition coming out this year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The editions were limited in as much as they only manufactured the discs for a certain amount of time. There was no set number of discs made. Like Disney movies, companies bought tons of extra copies so they had more to sell after the titles were discontinued.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've said it before but do you think the number of Star Wars fans that cared about the lack of anamorphic enhancement AND were able to hold out was actually that big? It's a huge deal to people who have any knowledge of HT stuff but that's it. The reason they didn't sell as well as they wanted is because the average consumer already has Star Wars and the original editions aren't something they care that much about to buy it a second time.

I know tons of people were going crazy about it online but that's the same as the popularity of Snakes On A Plane and Grindhouse or the hatred for Spider-Man 3. The number of people online lauding or decrying something are a drop in the bucket in the real world.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think the OOT should have been anamorphic but I don't think it would have made much of a difference sales wise when the average person has no clue what the problem is.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Me too.

And I think you're not taking into consideration how much scifi fans in general are keyed into technology and video quality.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau

I very much agree with your edit. I think die-hard fans would have bought them, but most kids and casual fans are perfectly happy with their SE's.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I caved and bought them for $9.44 each at Wal-Mart the day after Thanksgiving. My reasoning was that these are probably going to be the best available editions of the original versions for several more decades, and I consider the updated versions as "bonus material", not the other way around!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Me three and I think it mattered a great deal to a significant group and was a big time blunder.

Chris

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I caved. Does that make me a bad person?

These will hold me until if ever there are original versions on Blu Ray.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

USED CD store? Ebay? I've considered doing this, but haven't decided which boxes to part with, as I have the boxed set.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

We have a staff bulletin board where I work. I unload all my DVDs there when I double-dip new SEs and such.

Anyone else notice that the limited edtion 2 disc DVDs have gold letters to match the prequels? Maybe that was the beard's master plan all along?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks