What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
hehehehe True. Actually the more I think about it...there is ONE change I did like so I know I can't have my cake and eat it too. But the ending of ROTJ, the new 1997 finale music to me was more emotional and satisfying.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
You mean you didn't find the original "Yub-Yub" song the most perfect, emotionally resonating capper to three movies' worth of old-fashioned derring-do, with high romance, stunning revelations, and mind-blowing science-fantasy visuals that defined an entire galaxy's worth of adventure?Me neither.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
You mean you didn't find the original "Yub-Yub" song the most perfect, emotionally resonating capper to three movies' worth of old-fashioned derring-do, with high romance, stunning revelations, and mind-blowing science-fantasy visuals that defined an entire galaxy's worth of adventure?Me neither.
Yeah, whatever version of Return Of The Jedi you're watching, the songs are lousy. Leaving nostalgia aside, I think the two songs in the SE are better than the ones in the original though.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I sort of like the Ewok song to end the Trilogy. I recognize that is nostalgia, though. The SE revision is probably that misguided effort's sole gain. I remember how excited I was in 1997 to see Coruscant for the first time (having seen a little concept art by McQuarrie in the years preceding).

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I was just thinking that, as far as first theatrical impressions go, I only really loved Star Wars upon initial viewing in 1977. It blew my little mind.

In 1980, I found The Empire Strikes Back disappointing. This was due to a depressing downturn from the fun factor of the first movie, plus the total non-ending. I found Return of the Jedi even more disappointing. It was bafflingly derivative of the first movie, to name just a few of its many problems. And of course The Phantom Menace in 1999 put me over the edge. Attack of the Clones was a waste. Finally, the prequel trilogy was partially, if only barely redeemed by the final half-hour of Revenge of the Sith... until they fricken ruined it by having Darth Vader say, "Nooooooo!"

Over time I've come to appreciate Empire as the superior film in the series, one that stands alone even if you take "Star Wars" out of the title. Jedi still frustrates me because there's half a great movie trying to get out, but it's muzzled at every turn by Teddy bears and long tracts of total boredom... but Luke's struggle with his father and the Emperor saves it. And I still can't stand anything from the prequels aside from the final half-hour of Sith (if I stop the film before "Noooooo!").

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think its not just the visuals but the score Williams wrote for it....coupled with the visuals. I remember actually getting a lil choked up ( I do that in movies) during the Jedi finale in 1997. Pretty awesome.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
That some vestige of the Empire is apparently still around undermines the SE ending a tad. Even one of the EU novels has the Empire dropping the hammer on all those happy people crowd surfing stormtroopers, and dancing around Palpatine's fallen statue.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SilverWook said:
That some vestige of the Empire is apparently still around undermines the SE ending a tad. Even one of the EU novels has the Empire dropping the hammer on all those happy people crowd surfing stormtroopers, and dancing around Palpatine's fallen statue.
They should make some of the good guys bad, power corrupts, we need more bikini princesses, i would stress that part is vital and of course they gotta have some new Sith in there somewhere, paging Benedict Cumberbatch.......

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
FoxyMulder said:
They should make some of the good guys bad, power corrupts, we need more bikini princesses, i would stress that part is vital and of course they gotta have some new Sith in there somewhere, paging Benedict Cumberbatch.......
Star Wars XXIIII Attack of the Bikini-Clad Space Vixens! :D

I'd buy that for a dollar!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore."

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
wow...pretty impressive link Sam. Reading that does make me cringe ALOT over all these silly changes.

That's why I haven't bought the blu-rays of the OT and won't. Star Wars and Empire occupy the top spots of my favorite movies of all time. But I'm not buying these revised editions. I own the VHS somewhere ;) and have the horribly bad laserdisc mastered dvds.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Rumor Has It Another Character Is Returning To STAR WARS...

1355718775-0.jpg

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68481

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
:D

And you mean you are not scared now that you know the whole news? I don't like it. Original Trilogy has no meaning if it's true.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
SamT said:
:D

And you mean you are not scared now that you know the whole news? I don't like it. Original Trilogy has no meaning if it's true.
Maybe some of the Disney brass actually did a little tampering. However, it's possible too that Kasdan was trying to find a way to steer the franchise back towards what the team (not Lucas) had originally envisioned for the story arch back in the early 80's (before Jedi).

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Simon Massey said:
Well palpatine did say something about cheating death :)
Yes but remember that was all lie to attract Anakin. Never it was mentioned he could actually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks