What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SamT said:
New Rumblings Of Original Star Wars Trilogy Remaster

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41928

See, empire is also reporting it. So It must be something.
One site reports a rumour and before you know it a lot of sites are reporting the same rumour, it's all bull if you ask me.

It might happen in the future but these reports are ridiculous, if you ask me i think 2017 is the date when it might happen and not before the next film comes out, i think people should stop with the George Lucas ( hate ) insults too, he didn't kill anyone you know he just made some movies, you'll get your original unaltered trilogy at some point but c'mon give the ( hate ) insults a rest.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SamT said:
New Rumblings Of Original Star Wars Trilogy Remaster

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41928

See, empire is also reporting it. So It must be something.
They're just linking a story on another site and have zero substantiation of the rumor. There's literally nothing in comicbook.com's story that couldn't have come from any other website. As a matter of fact, it reads so much like the current SW thread in HTF's Blu-ray section that I think there's a good chance that they culled info from that thread and are reporting it as a story so they can get hits.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Empire magazine is a well known respected magazine and I doubt they link or report to a crazy fan fiction rumor. They must think it's worth it and that it's not a ridiculous rumor.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SamT said:
Empire magazine is a well known respected magazine and I doubt they link or report to a crazy fan fiction rumor. They must think it's worth it and that it's not a ridiculous rumor.
It wouldn't be the first time Empire has reported something which turns out to be false and it won't be the last time.

For example, they reported that Sam Mendes will not direct Bond 24, guess what, Sam Mendes is directing Bond 24.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SamT said:
Here's the pertinent part of their story:
These rumours have been causing ripples in the Force for a while now, but the sleuths at Comicbook.com reckon they now have definitive word that the undadulterated, non-Special Edition original Star Wars trilogy is finally undergoing the Blu-ray remaster treatment at its new Disney home, for a release some time in the near future.
They're clearly just passing on a story from another site with no confirmation or endorsement. By just passing on the info from another site, they have the best of both worlds- they get website hits and they do it without putting their own reputation on the line.

The funniest thing is that I think comicbook.com's story is probably accurate but not because I think they have any inside sources. I think it's true just because it's very likely that Disney will want to release a Blu-ray and DVD of Star Wars before the new movie comes out. Comicbook.com knows that as well as anyone so if the OT gets announced in the next 8 to 10 months and they end up being right, they can say that they broke the story back in August 2014 and if they're wrong, no one remembers because it was a year ago. Either way, they win because this story got their website hits.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Travis covered my opinion of what GL owes us. GL delivered on the money I have given him. For all of my gripes and whines, he created (with significant help, mind you, but he is the primary author and visionary) a seminal film series which meant the world to me in my youth. Yeah, I hate 99% of the SE changes, yeah, I'm not a fan of the prequels (though they have their moments), yeah, the merchandise is running the asylum. But in the final sum, I'm satisfied with the transaction and then some.

My frustration with his decision to NOT release the OT is twofold. I mentioned the first above in a previous post...those versions are the seminal versions, the ones most worthy of historical preservation. The talented teams of craftsman who helped visualize and give the necessary texture to the world deserve to have their work seen. The other reason is that I don't believe (and I could be wrong, obviously) GL when he talks about artistic integrity...it is ego. And I get that. But it seems selfish, not altruistic. Could just be my perception. Hearing him whine about the expense just reads as self-delusion. He doesn't WANT to do it. I think it bothers him that many of the fans of his story prefer the earlier versions. No artist wants to think he peaked in his mid-30s.

Anyways, I still have a deep and abiding appreciation for George Lucas and his 70s/80s content. I'd love to get the OT that I love deeply available in the best formats. I'm more interested in that than Episode VII.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I actually like some of the SE changes, detest some, and could take or leave the rest.

In any case, I have the Blu-ray set already, so the only way I'll buy Star Wars again is if it's the originals.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Greg Kettell said:
I actually like some of the SE changes, detest some, and could take or leave the rest.

In any case, I have the Blu-ray set already, so the only way I'll buy Star Wars again is if it's the originals.
This brings up an interesting point. I think we all cry for the original versions because the changes are badly done. I'm betting if the changes were good changes, we would have accepted them and probably people wouldn't have asked for the original versions this much.

The final version of The Close Encounters of the Third Kind is not the original version and everyone is ok with it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
DanH1972 said:
There are NO HD versions of the unscrewed with theatrical original trilogy available. None. Zip. Nada. Only the less than great Laserdiscs or even lesser quality non-anamorphic DVD's.
Oh... I thought there was some guy floating around an HD version he created...but I guess that wouldn't actually be the ACTUAL release. :)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
joshEH said:
Although, to be sure, nothing's really been "obscured" by Lucas -- the fact that we nerds have spent 17 years requesting the release of the OOT (often very, very loudly) attests to those versions' persistence in the collective public consciousness. ;)

That said, maybe not to the fans, but from a curational standpoint, I would argue that he possibly does owe posterity, to a certain extent. The main argument here is that he doesn't, in a moral sense, wholly "own" the original trilogy, since there were several other creators crucial to the completed works that moviegoers saw in '77-'83.That also said, I think the point about curation (which I feel very strongly about) maybe only really applies if he's threatening to destroy the originals. Posterity's a long time, and patient.
The movies haven't been labelled as Special Editions since 1997. There are casual viewers who think Jabba was present in the film in 1977 now. Not everybody is as savvy as you and me. Were the 2005 and 2011 changes hyped in any way by Lucasfilm or Fox?

The constant stream of blue smoke and mirrors from Skywalker Ranch has led some people to believe the negatives were chopped up to create the SE's, therefore, they can't be restored to their original form. Then Lucas makes casual remarks about it being too expensive to restore them. It's hard to know where the truth lies anymore.

What was done to THX 1138 is even worse in terms of pretending nothing has been altered. No special edition credits for the new shots, nothing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I always look at the SOURCE first. Direct quotes I believe. Unconfirmed rumors from sites I never heard of...not so much. Especially if they begin with a floating hand. ;)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Well, if they do finally release the unaltered trilogy, they better not include "A New Hope" and put "Star Wars" in there instead.I've often wondered about the arrogance it took to take some other guy's movies and shamelessly change them for the sake of change. I am referring, of course, to the landmark films directed by Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand. I mean, Marquand was dead by the time they superimposed some guy from 2005 at the end of his film. What balls.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
I've often wondered about the arrogance it took to take some other guy's movies and shamelessly change them for the sake of change. I am referring, of course, to the landmark films directed by Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand. I mean, Marquand was dead by the time they superimposed some guy from 2005 at the end of his film. What balls.
I don't say this to diminish the contributions of Kershner or Marquand or the hundreds of other people who worked on the movies but I think Lucas is absolutely correct when he equates his role in Star Wars as being like an executive producer on a TV show where the EP is the creative boss and everyone involved in the production is working to bring that person's vision to the screen.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Tim Glover said:
I would rather watch Lucas' Howard The Duck than see the all the changes he's done to the Original Star Wars films.
Howard the Duck is no worse (or possibly even better) than some of the stuff Hollywood calls entertainment these days. That isn't saying much, however. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks