What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Man of Steel, well, Zimmer slummed that one.

I think part of it is me, though. I used to go to the theater and see movies over and over. Can't remember the last time I saw a movie twice in the theater. Probably Avatar. Used to buy soundtracks out the wazoo. But I find myself, more and more, listening to the ones I have. Part of it is me, because I am getting older and my values are changing, but I really believe part of it is the reduced quality of theatrical movies and scores.

TV is where all the good writing is being done now. Some good scores on TV too (Game of Thrones for example).

To keep this thread at least partially on track, has anyone heard any news about the live-action Star Wars series Lucas has done so much work for? Does Disney have any plans for it? Maybe episode VII will revive it....probably wishful thinking.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Carabimero said:
To keep this thread at least partially on track, has anyone heard any news about the live-action Star Wars series Lucas has done so much work for? Does Disney have any plans for it? Maybe episode VII will revive it....probably wishful thinking.
As of now, it's dead or on hold indefinitely. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to read on the internet one day that it's suddenly back on or maybe they'll repurpose the scripts into something else (the Rebels TV series, a book, a video game, a comic book). I'd like to see them do spin-off movies that are relatively small so maybe they could take some of the TV show scripts and do them as one of the spin-offs.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Back when there was talk of returning Star Trek to TV in the mid 80s, Leonard Nimoy said he was out unless they did a TV movie format, that is, one or two Made for TV movies every year just using the best episode TV scripts or two-parters repurposed into one movie. Maybe they could do the same with Star Wars using those scripts. I remember Lucas saying that they had to invent some new technology to make that series viable, but never heard any follow up on what the new technology was or if there had been any progress toward it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
British actress Christina Chong has joined the cast of “Star Wars: Episode VII

5.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Who do you think she is going to be cast as? My guess is Princess Leia and Solo's daughter.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Edwin-S said:
Who do you think she is going to be cast as? My guess is Princess Leia and Solo's daughter.
They are neither Asian. She is Asian. The part is already cast and their daughter was present during that famous table reading photo.

This photo is a little distracting. Doesn't allow you to see her clearly!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SamT said:
They are neither Asian. She is Asian. The part is already cast and their daughter was present during that famous table reading photo.

This photo is a little distracting. Doesn't allow you to see her clearly!
Ha ha. My bad. I didn't even think to take that she is Asian into account. So this Lorna Bucket is playing their daughter? I haven't been following this too closely. I hope she doesn't have the same hangup about her last name as the lead character in "Keeping Up Appearances". ;-)

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Edwin-S said:
Ha ha. My bad. I didn't even think to take that she is Asian into account. So this Lorna Bucket is playing their daughter? I haven't been following this too closely. I hope she doesn't have the same hangup about her last name as the lead character in "Keeping Up Appearances". ;-)
It's Bouquet!! :D

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Just looking at IMDB, apart from the two films you already mentioned i would say these are some of my favourite Goldsmith composed scores, films like Von Ryan's Express, The Wind and the Lion, Poltergeist, First Blood, The Thirteenth Warrior, Star Trek: First Contact, The Ghost and the Darkness, Congo, Bad Girls, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Extreme Prejudice, King Solomon's Mines, Legend, Supergirl, The Omen, Planet Of The Apes, Lonely Are The Brave, The Mummy and Capricorn One.

Looking at that list i'd like to see some films hit blu ray that are not out such as The Ghost and The Darkness, Extreme Prejudice and Supergirl, i'd also like to see re-released with better transfers, Basic Instinct, First Blood, Bad Girls and Planet Of The Apes.

Talking about film composers, what happened to Hans Zimmer, some good film scores in his career, i loved his scores for Thelma and Louise, Backdraft, True Romance, The Lion King, The Rock and Gladiator, Batman Begins was also okay but a lot of his stuff hasn't been memorable for me, some of his stuff just lacks a central theme, i mean Man Of Steel, i can't remember anything about that music score and yet over 35 years later i can still recall John Williams score for the original Superman.
Man of Steel? I hear drums beating and bass going up and down and then suddenly a few octaves lower.

Donner, is absolutely right that you can hear the name SUPERMAN theme saying it in the score.

The opening of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE is way, way better than Man of Steel, even better as whole. SUPERMAN THE MOVIE :thumbs-up-smiley:

I like the way tabs are in the Academy ratio then widens out to SCOPE with curtains opening wider to show full blown Technicolor blue coloured computer titles open the film and the score BEEFING up to a grandeur, orchestral high and uplifting scale that says the film is going to be EPIC!!!

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE John Williams, is a recognizable score that some school bands play. You don't hear them playing Man of Steel, Hans Zimmer. John Williams SUPERMAN theme is so iconic and etched into the minds of millions and millions worldwide.

Read the comments in the video. Its one of the most memorable in film scoring history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks