1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Pete-D, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I hope so. I'm sure the trailer alone will generate a 20 page discussion thread here on HTF :)

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Absolutely agree. Return Of The Jedi had the most rewarding, happy ending any movie or trilogy could hope for. But like I said, I love the original characters so much I'll just be glad to see what they are up to so many years later in a galaxy far, far away!
    Even at the risk of being an original trilogy "buzz kill". I'm thinking Episode 7 will be more fun than dark.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The term you're looking for is "sequel." :)
    Good lord, no.
    Because when I think "Star Wars," I'm anglin' for the War of 1812! :D

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm not sure that that's what they'll do but that would be exactly the right move. For my money, one of the best things about Star Wars (A New Hope) is that it's a fun, light hearted movie. I love The Empire Strikes Back but an unfortunate consequence of people's love for it is that every piece of Star Wars lore tries to be 'dark' and 'gritty' like ESB.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    The original Star Wars may have been light-hearted at its core, but it *did* feature, er, such "group-hug" moments as the burned, smoking corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, a funeral pyre comprised of a dozen or so dead Jawas, an entire planet being destroyed along with it's millions of inhabitants, Vader crushing a Rebel's throat bare-handed (with gratuitous crunching sounds), an arm being hacked off by a lightsaber with a shot of the bloody aftermath, and an alien being gunned down at point-blank range with a blaster. It wasn't all sweetness and light.

Hollywood is convinced that "dark" and "gritty" and "brooding" is what sells movies these days. Look at Man of Steel. However, even though I don't like everything he's done with his Star Trek reboots, Abrams has done a pretty good job in keeping with the spirit of Trek and his two films are fun. I think he'll do alright by the Star Wars universe too. But J.J., PLEASE dump the #@*&@^! lens flares!

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Don't forget that the climax of the movie has the hero blowing up like a million people. :)

I've said it before but I'm thinking/hoping that they'll try to somewhat emulate the look of the Star Wars movies and drop them for the most part. I don't have specific memories of his episodes of Alias but the three episodes of Lost that he directed didn't have lens flare.

7. SilverWook

SilverWook Screenwriter

Bill
    I have issues with buying into that the whole saga was all about Anakin. ;)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Brett_M likes this.
  8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Agreed. That was just a convenient line during the production of the prequels when Lucas was not entertaining the idea of sequels to the OT. But those of us who were there for the OT remember the "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" bit.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I completely disagree. The OT is Luke's tale and it results in his father's redemption but even prior to 1999, what could Episodes I to III realistically have been except for the story of how Anakin became Vader? When you consider that, those six movies are the story of Anakin Skywalker.

Granted, if you're looking at just Star Wars (A New Hope), you can say that it's Luke's story but by 1980 when The Empire Strikes Back is referred to as Episode V, the stage is set for Darth Vader's backstory in Episodes I to III and the saga essentially becomes about Vader.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Back in the day, the original idea for a 9-film series was presented as a trilogy of trilogies about the rise of the Empire, the Rebellion, and the rebuilding of the Republic. There was never any "it's all about the Anakins" talk until the prequels were actually in production.

Brett_M likes this.
  11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Not that George Lucas couldn't have said that about "a 9-film series" but almost everything I've seen him (and not a rumor) say in the late 1970's/early 1980's interviews was much more vague than that (even the total number of movies varied). I'm not saying that Lucas ever said that the story was about Anakin Skywalker back in the 1980's but when Vader became a more central character in ESB and ROJ and they established Episode numbers, the prequels could only be about Anakin becoming Vader so those six movies would clearly follow Anakin and that would have been obvious in 1983/before the prequels were made. Even if Lucas had 9 scripts completely planned and written in 1977, Episodes VII to IX would still be like an addition to the story of Anakin.

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The idea that the Star Wars films were originally conceived as being the "story of Anakin" is pure Lucas historical revisionism, made up after he decided what direction the later films would take. It's no more factual than his silly claim that he never meant for Han to shoot first.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Once again, I'm not trying to say that. I'm saying that when Lucas decided that The Empire Strikes Back was Episode V and retroactively decided that Star Wars was Episode IV, it was clear that any Episodes I to III would involve Anakin becoming Vader. Don't even try to tell me that people expected that the prequels would focus on anything else. At that point, the six movies tell the story of Anakin. I realized that long before Lucas said it and long before the prequels were made. I'm not saying that that's what Lucas initially intended when he created Star Wars but by ESB and certainly by ROJ, it's what the story became and another trilogy- good or bad- seems more like an addition to that story.

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'm not saying you said it, I'm saying Lucas said it. :)

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Not at all. The prequels might have been set before Anakin was even born.

16. Chris Will

Chris Will Supporting Actor

Chris WIlliams
    I can't believe this has gone over all of your heads for all these years, you guys are all wrong. The Star Wars saga, no matter what its creator has or will say, was never about Vader/Anakin or Luke; it has always been about the adventures of R2-D2.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yes, they could have been. They could also have been about Luke moisture farming with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru but everyone expected that they would be about young Anakin and Obi-Wan.

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    You're entitled to your opinion, but as long as you're making hyperbolic statements sans evidence like "they could only have been about. . ." and "everyone expected that they would be about" I'm'a call you on it! :P

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If you're calling out hyperbole in a Star Wars thread, I think you can find a lot better examples of it than my posts. Anyway, as far back as the OT, Lucas was saying that Episodes I to III would focus on Anakin & Obi-Wan and the Clone Wars (basically the stuff that Obi-Wan tells Luke about in his hut in the first movie) and it's true that some people might not have know that, I can't imagine that too many fans were expecting anything other than what Lucas had talked about for nearly 20 years before they were made.

20. michaeltrottar

Like CG R2 in regular non-flying photos or more intense, the use of CG Duplicate Military. I think they never ever used a actual individual in Duplicate Trooper outfit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.