What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Fighters are probably easier to crank out than captial ships. Tie fighters always seemed like cannon fodder with the exception of Vader's custom ship. We probably will see familar rebel fighter craft again, or their updated versions.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997
The project has changed significantly since Oscar winner Michael Arndt split as writer on Episode VII in the fall, with duties taken up by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

According to multiple insiders, the reason for the parting of ways was not due to a timeframe issue, as has been reported, but rather due to a difference in opinion of which characters to emphasize.

Arndt is said to have focused on the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), with the original trilogy heroes taking on supporting roles. Abrams, however, wanted Episode VII to focus on the classic trio of characters, so audiences could have one more chance to enjoy them before a fitting send-off. The new characters, the offspring, will now be in supporting roles, according to these sources, and take center stage in Episode VIII and IX. Some characters have disappeared from the Arndt script and new ones are being drafted.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lets hope JJ Abrams not making them play exactly the same situations, lines as in the original trilogy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Assuming that's true (I get the feeling that people actually associated with the production of any secretive movie probably laugh at most of the 'inside' info that leaks out), it sounds like a good plan to me. I get Arndt's apparent desire to get started with the new characters but if they're bringing back Luke, Han and Leia, I'd much rather see them focus on and give a big send off to the original characters while just introducing the new people.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think this is the right decision. Just to see those iconic characters on the big screen again will be worth the price of admission. Concentrate on those characters while introducing new ones for future films. I want Luke, Leia and Han. Everything else will be gravy.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't even care if the story is average or a little less. With Abrams in charge it will be fine. Seeing my favorite characters on the big screen again since 1983....well just the thought of it gives me chills. When the teaser trailer is released, I am going to be so very happy.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Bryan^H said:
I don't even care if the story is average or a little less. With Abrams in charge it will be fine.
I'm a bit more wary of the idea of having the first film bridge the gap by featuring the original cast in prominent roles. I still cringe when I think of Karen Allen coming out of retirement to play Marion in Indy 4 and how she dragged the movie down (admittedly along with a myriad of other factors...). Carrie Fisher hasn't exactly been out of the spotlight like Karen Allen had, but I don't know that I automatically feel bringing back the cast of the original films 30 years later to be the primary stars of the new movie is a necessary ingredient to continuing the saga.

In terms of Abrams - I like what he did with the 2009 Star Trek movie - to me, it effectively bridged the gap, introduced new players, respected what came before, and set the stage for new adventures. I even liked how Spock prime served as a physical connection between the old and the new...

Then Into Darkness arrived and, IMO, he blew the best chance he had to take advantage of what he had done before and go off in a new direction. Even Spock prime had to return... I really don't want to see anything like that happen with the new era of Star Wars. No more "been there, done that."

I guess color me cautiously optimistic. I'm ready to move on (that is to say, "I'm ready to leave the Star Wars I know and love behind") and will approach the new films with an open mind - I just hope that Episode VII can provide a "clean break" from the old and once again create that genuine sense of excitement and wonder with the promise of new and untold adventures.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I think the internet will creak and groan from the strain the day the teaser gets out! (I'm betting there will be a leak of some sort.) Seeing Mark Hamill as an older wiser Luke is something I'm really looking forward to.

Wish they would tease us with photos of the newly constructed Falcon sets in the meantime. Not like that will spoil the movie any.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Personally, I don't think this is a good idea. What more of a send-off do these characters need than the one they got in Return of the Jedi. I love these OT characters, but the only one of the central three that is worth bringing back is Luke by virtue of him being the only Jedi left at the end of 6. Let Han/Leia be simply a cameo as leaders of whatever organisation is set up for the heroes or just referred to. It doesn't even need to be their offspring at the centre of the films

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The way I see it, I honestly don't care too much which angle or direction they go with it story-wise. I'm mostly just worried about J.J.'s involvement, since I feel he's a very lackluster filmmaker. I've seen every film he's directed and don't care for his style. In my eyes it's very apparent from his films that he came from tv. I was MUCH more optimistic when there were more directors in the running (I'd have gone with Jon Favreau), but ever since J.J. got it, any potential excitement I could've had for an Episode VII has been very deflated. I'll try to keep an open mind and see it when it comes out, and hopefully I will be surprised.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Spielberg started in tv as well, it's not a bad thing. In any case, the Star Wars style is pretty much set by the original trilogy, and it would be foolhardy to mess with it too much.

Look at the movies Irvin Kershner made before Empire, and then try to imagine him helming a Star Wars film. ;)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Simon Massey said:
Personally, I don't think this is a good idea. What more of a send-off do these characters need than the one they got in Return of the Jedi. I love these OT characters, but the only one of the central three that is worth bringing back is Luke by virtue of him being the only Jedi left at the end of 6. Let Han/Leia be simply a cameo as leaders of whatever organisation is set up for the heroes or just referred to. It doesn't even need to be their offspring at the centre of the films
The main reason ROTJ was the send off, was Lucas was weary of Star Wars at that point. (Running Lucasfilm was already taking a toll on his personal life.) There was supposed to be a third trilogy before he changed his mind. He spent the next three decades backpedaling his previous statements about a nine film saga, until the Disney deal was struck.

One backstory element that doesn't seem to have ever changed over the years, was that the droids were intended to be in all the episodes. So I would expect them to be around for the new trilogy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
There was supposed to be a third trilogy before he changed his mind.
No doubt but that's always been strange to me because- even before the prequels came out- it seemed natural that the two trilogies would tell the story of Anakin Skywalker so having nine (or twelve) movies is like a weird addition to the original tale. As if Lucas told the story of Darth Vader and then said "Oh yeah and then this stuff happened after Vader died too."

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Simon Massey said:
TravisR said:
No doubt but that's always been strange to me because- even before the prequels came out- it seemed natural that the two trilogies would tell the story of Anakin Skywalker so having nine (or twelve) movies is like a weird addition to the original tale. As if Lucas told the story of Darth Vader and then said "Oh yeah and then this stuff happened after Vader died too."
I think it's smart. It will appease the fans of the OT and set the stage for a new cast for new fans to finish the postquel (dibs on coining this phrase). As stated above, Abrams did the same thing for Star Trek. Lucas set up the 2 trilogies to be about Anakin. Well, he is a force spirit now so he can still mentor Luke and Leia and the children.

Luke will be training new Jedi -- bet on it.

Leia will be a Jedi -- bet on it.

Han will lead the republic (albeit hesitantly since he probably would rather continue his pirating ways, maybe with his children by his side).

There is a lot of room to set up an amazing trilogy to finish out the saga. When ROTJ ended, the empire was defeated. But, there were Imperial forces all over the galaxy. The war is far from over. I liken it to the Revolutionary War. We declared our independence from Imperial England. We had a helluva war to fight to become truly independent. The Republic and Jedi need rebuilding. I'm sure a plot to destroy the Skywalkers will emerge and it will be up to the next generation to end the conflict forever. Lastly, say what you will about Abrams as a director but he is a Star Wars fan (geek really) first and foremost. The series is in good hands.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While some people might think it's box office suicide to focus a movie on characters in their 60s and 70s, in this case, I think it's exactly what people want to see. The characters from the OT should be the focus in this film and should at least have supporting roles in the other two. It's a good move.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brett_M said:
Lucas set up the 2 trilogies to be about Anakin. Well, he is a force spirit now so he can still mentor Luke and Leia and the children.
Will he be the original old guy force spirit or the young Hayden force spirit, maybe we can have a campfire sequence ala Star Trek V with the three force ghosts of Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin sitting around the campfire singing row row row your boat.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
FoxyMulder said:
Will he be the original old guy force spirit or the young Hayden force spirit, maybe we can have a campfire sequence ala Star Trek V with the three force ghosts of Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin sitting around the campfire singing row row row your boat.
Kidding aside, I assume it would be young Anakin.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Everyone knows that Anakin's ghost became one with the Force in The Truce At Bakura novel so they can't do that.

Wait, you mean that they aren't going follow the novels and all of the EU continuity?!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks