What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That's how I see the cast of the new Star Trek movies and that's why I'm worried. They are all pretty and they can actually act but I'm afraid they don't work at all. Almost everyone is miscast in Star Trek.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'd disagree that the Trek actors are miscast but that aside, the vast majority of actors in Episode VII will all be playing new characters. Playing a new character will be easier (in terms of making it their own) than trying to live up to another person's iconic performance of the same character.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
SamT said:
That's how I see the cast of the new Star Trek movies and that's why I'm worried. They are all pretty and they can actually act but I'm afraid they don't work at all. Almost everyone is miscast in Star Trek.
Disagree 100%. 100% my opinion ;)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
If that casting is true, it tells us a few things about this next series of movies. We will continue to follow the Skywalker family and Luke has rejected some of the rules established by the Jedi of the Old Republic. I guess Jedi will be allowed to marry and have children. That's a big reason for Anakin's fall so that alone could cause trouble. I'm curious if these new characters will share the same names of their counterparts in the books or if we are going in a different direction than that established timeline.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I thought not getting Anakin's mom out of slavery, and putting her up in a nice safe condo on Coruscant was a contributing factor.

Maybe there would have been more Jedi around to thwart the Emperor's plans, had they been allowed to sow some wild oats now and then. ;)

IIRC, Luke got married and had kids in the books years ago.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SilverWook said:
I thought not getting Anakin's mom out of slavery, and putting her up in a nice safe condo on Coruscant was a contributing factor.

Maybe there would have been more Jedi around to thwart the Emperor's plans, had they been allowed to sow some wild oats now and then. ;)

IIRC, Luke got married and had kids in the books years ago.
In Revenge Of The Sith and the scene at the opera, Palpatine tells Anakin a story about how Darth Plagueis used the force to create life and then his apprentice killed him in his sleep, although he never actually says it straight out, we know he is talking about himself killing Plagueis and that just before his death Plagueis was responsible for the creation of Anakin, he was then killed by Darth Sidious ( Palpatine ) who at this point was training Darth Maul, this whole speech tells us so much and we can speculate that the Jedi have become lazy and arrogant and unable to sense the evil in their midst.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
FoxyMulder said:
In Revenge Of The Sith and the scene at the opera, Palpatine tells Anakin a story about how Darth Plagueis used the force to create life and then his apprentice killed him in his sleep, although he never actually says it straight out, we know he is talking about himself killing Plagueis and that just before his death Plagueis was responsible for the creation of Anakin, he was then killed by Darth Sidious ( Palpatine ) who at this point was training Darth Maul, this whole speech tells us so much and we can speculate that the Jedi have become lazy and arrogant and unable to sense the evil in their midst.
That's the first I've heard about Plagueis creating Anakin, although it makes perfect sense as you describe it. That said, the identity of Anakin's "father" is one of the mysteries set up in Episode I and never resolved. If your interpretation of the opera house speech is correct, it is something that should have been more explicit in the films. Unresolved pieces of the story almost always lead to an unsatisfying film.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the movies, nobody created Anakin. He was Jesus Christ created by the will of the midichlorians. He was the prophecy.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SamT said:
By the movies, nobody created Anakin. He was Jesus Christ created by the will of the midichlorians. He was the prophecy.
That's what the Jedi thought and it plays into their arrogance and laziness in assuming that, this is why their order was destroyed, Palpatine played them like a fiddle, he set everything up, that opera house speech confirms it, i'm also glad it wasn't more explicit and let us use our imagination, i don't need everything told to me several times over to take it in, i love that the scene was subtle, people can read into it's meaning or can go along with the prophecy meaning as the Jedi did in the film.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Film Chronicles is reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast in the J.J. Abrams-directed resumption of the STAR WARS saga. He is apparently playing Khan.

Ok that last part was from me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great news as he is a great actor. He was terrific in Star Trek Into Darkness.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Chris pine next to be cast as Han Solo's son and Zoe Saldana as Luke Skywalker's daughter. Leonard Nimoy in as a wise old Jedi. Simon Pegg as an alien sidekick and Zachary Quinto as Mara Jade. (not mine I found this comment on AICN) :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Benedict Cumberbatch cast for Star Wars Episode VII. Great. Strike one.
Do these new directors ever cast because the actor fits the character or is it now always about hiring the friend you made on your last movie? I suspect we'll be hearing about Chris Pines and/or Quinto being cast some time in the future.

Edit: I should say Strike two. Strike one was J.J Abrams being hired as the director for the film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
Benedict Cumberbatch cast for Star Wars Episode VII. Great. Strike one.
Do these new directors ever cast because the actor fits the character or is it now always about hiring the friend you made on your last movie?
What info do you possess that enables you to know that Abrams hasn't cast an actor that fits the character? I don't mean to be a prick but I'm just sick of kneejerk negativity and unfair criticism of things that people haven't seen.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Has anyone discussed the rumor of Ian McDiamond coming back for these?And directors casting actors they've worked with before who they like and want to work with again is absolutely positively not a "new" thing. How on Earth can someone say this is a trait of "new directors"! Weird.Oh, and Cumberbatch is a great actor with a great presence. The new trilogy will be better for having him.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
What info do you possess that enables you to know that Abrams hasn't cast an actor that fits the character? I don't mean to be a prick but I'm just sick of kneejerk negativity and unfair criticism of things that people haven't seen.
The guy was a lousy Khan. That tells me what I need to know about Abrams's casting choices. Also, the practice of hiring actors from one of his movies to the next just smells like hiring because it's a friend, not because the guy is the best man for the job. If I turn out to be wrong then I turn out to be wrong, but I feel negative about all the choices that have been made for this film so far, from the selection of director to this piece of perceived backscratching. I don't think you are a prick for calling me out on it, but we are both entitled to our opinions. Right now, nothing of what I am reading is making me very happy about this film.

I hope I'm wrong about the film, but none of Abrams's STAR TREK work gives me any confidence in his ability to do a decent STAR WARS film.

Edit: Fixed some misplaced commas.

Edit: I've changed my mind. After reading some of the fucking stupid comments about PLANES on Rotten Tomatoes, I have to say you were right to call me out on my negativity and criticism of something I haven't seen. I try not to fall into that trap, but as you can see I don't always succeed. I'll take back what I said earlier and wait for the film to come out before making any more value judgments on it.

I only hope that, even if I don't like it, I can express my views without accusing someone of being lobotomized for liking it. I thought a review site would have reasoned comments when it came to movies, but I guess I was wrong if the shit on RT is any barometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks