What's new

Star Wars Blu-Ray Details: May the 4th Be With You! (1 Viewer)

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like on May 4th we will be getting the full details on the Star Wars Saga Blu-Ray Collection! I can't wait to see the packaging. I just hope it won't be a disaster like some other Blu-Ray packaging has been.

http://maythe4th.starwars.com/countdown.php

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ya know what, i kind of like the peliminary black, maybe with silver lettering, simple, clean, astetic, maybe a star field, but no spoilers in the design tha everyone has seen since the original anouncement

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by dana martin

ya know what, i kind of like the preliminary black, maybe with silver lettering, simple, clean, asthetic, maybe a star field, but no spoilers in the design that everyone has seen since the original announcement
Instant purchase, if this is the cover design:

All kidding aside, I kind of hope that the complete series box comes with multiple options for the cover art, because I can tell you right now--that one design is not going to please everyone! They should offer 3 or 4 choices, if you ask me--

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

All kidding aside, I kind of hope that the complete series box comes with multiple options for the cover art, because I can tell you right now--that one design is not going to please everyone! They should offer 3 or 4 choices, if you ask me--

Kind of like they had 3 or 4 menu designs on the DVD and you would get one at random?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

...because I can tell you right now--that one design is not going to please everyone!

Nor will the specs, or the extras, or the actual packaging, or the fact that Lucas is involved with this set somehow.

In all seriousness though, I'm looking forward to this set.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am just *really* hoping for the Biggs and Luke scene from ANH, hopefully edited together and color timed and corrected.

I think the Blu-ray set should come in the most obvious thing that will trump the Alien egg from earlier last year.

The limited edition eFX helmet cast from Rick Baker's mold of the one and only screen used helmet for ANH,

which is also scheduled be released this fall:

The Blu-rays could be just under the dome!

A man can dream.
http://www.efxcollectibles.com/p-111-anh-darth-vader-helmet-legend-edition.aspx

:)

I can't wait for Star Wars in HD!!!! Would like the original versions in HD someday, but to have the complete saga in pristine editions (hopefully) is amazing!

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

I can't wait for Star Wars in HD!!!! Would like the original versions in HD someday, but to have the complete saga in pristine editions (hopefully) is amazing!

I feel the same way. Even though the original versions will be missing, we can rest assured that the ones being released will look pretty spot-on perfect.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Kind of like they had 3 or 4 menu designs on the DVD and you would get one at random?

That would be fun too, but I meant just the dvd cases; you could order box design #1, #2 and so on. Actually the only thing that would make everyone happy is if it's in a plain black box, because if they use artwork, I know people are going to say their favorite character or design hasn't been represented, or the art "looks cheesy" or whatever. Well, maybe not. I realize that we've done threads on how cheesy some of the vintage blu-ray slipcovers have been recently--let's hope Fox really goes all out with this one (yeah I'm gonna say it--my most anticipated blu-ray of 2011 lol)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I've pre-ordered this, but will be adapting the the package to make room for the "original release" DVDs. Of course, if it comes with a "box o' junk" I'll be sending all that to the landfill. (It's great to have a ready supply of 2- and 3-Blu cases!)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

I've pre-ordered this, but will be adapting the the package to make room for the "original release" DVDs. Of course, if it comes with a "box o' junk" I'll be sending all that to the landfill. (It's great to have a ready supply of 2- and 3-Blu cases!)

LFL has never done crazy packaging (a la Warners' box sets) so I don't think you have to worry about that. However, if they do, you could probably sell the empty box on eBay rather than just tossing it.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by TravisR

Quote:

LFL has never done crazy packaging (a la Warners' box sets) so I don't think you have to worry about that. However, if they do, you could probably sell the empty box on eBay rather than just tossing it.

Agreed. I've always through Lucasfilm's packaging has been really tasteful. I'll be interested to see if they debut the artwork tomorrow.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait for Star Wars to come out on Bluray. Hopefully the packaging will be good and the video transfer will be top notch and that they do not go crazy with DNR! The artwork to me is not as important as the packaging and is definantly not as important as the video and audio. Back when Star Wars came out on DVD the audio was a different story than it is today. Back then I would have prefered that Star Wars was released in DTS and I still hate the DD track on the DVD's to this day! But with the lossless audio on Bluray today it could come out in Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio and as long as they did a good job on the sound, it will sound great. But for me it would be cool just to see the DTS MA logo when picking up the set at the store. This time around I could care less about which format it comes out on but I still like to support DTS when possible. I have many Bluray titles that are in Dolby True HD and they sound very good! 20th Century uses DTS MA on there titles so it will be interesting to see if Star Wars ends up being the first 20th Century title with Dolby True HD.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Not really much of an announcement, other than revealing mediocre cover art. Sound is DTS 6.1.

I can't tell what are new features and what are just rehashes of previously released material. NO ORIGINAL VERSIONS pretty much sucks too.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer NO ORIGINAL VERSIONS pretty much sucks too.

I'm not surprised. I'd be surprised if anyone was surprised.

Even if Lucas wanted to, or he died and his estate relented, is that even possible anymore? I've been hearing rumors about the state of the negatives and pre-print material that suggests that this would not just be a simple matter of restoring the effects of age and doing a new transfer.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's always possible. Enough prints are in private collectors' hands that if Lucas were to give in, and it turned out that he no longer has the original elements, enough collectors/preservationists would step up and a restoration could be undertaken.

The negatives may be lost, but a restoration from a 70mm print? I wouldn't sneeze at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks