1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars and Star Trek both come to an end less than a week apart

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rob Gardiner, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Screenwriter

Hey everybody,

I just realized that the final Star Trek episode will air on May 13, and the final Star Wars movie opens a mere six days later, on May 19.

This truly represents the end of an era, as two of the most popular sci-fi epics of all time coincidentally come to an end within a week of one another.

In a way, it feels like my childhood (or an important part of it, at least) is coming to an end. Does this mean I'm going to have to start growing up now? [​IMG]

But remember, neither story is truly coming to an end -- the lack of new, multi-million dollar productions does not mean that these two epic stories won't continue to grow and thrive within our imaginations.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rob, Paramount, at least, still is talking about an eleventh Star Trek feature. And another television series — a number of years hence, of course — is going to happen. As for the Lucas thing, well, you've known for years it's coming.

3. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

This truly represents the end of an era, as two of the most popular sci-fi epics of all time coincidentally come to an end within a week of one another.

Star Wars is going to be turned into a TV series, and after the franchise fatigue has worn off, Trek will be back, either on the big screen or as yet another TV series.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Somehow I get the feeling that our mortal lives will come to an end before we see the absolute end of Trek or Wars in some form or another.

5. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

As long as they're profitable, you're correct.

6. MitchellD

MitchellD Agent

This truly represents the end of an era

The Star Wars era came to an end in 1981 when Star Wars was re-title to Chapter 4, A New Hope.

The Star Trek era came to an end when they put Rick Bermen in charge.

7. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Screenwriter

And yet, here you are.

8. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Good observation, Rob.

Also one of those observations that (as you can see above) will invariably, immediately get nit-picked to death. (grin)

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Untrue. In fact, Berman saved the franchise during TNG's third season. Problem is, he ran out of gas a few years later and, along with Braga, went into terminal repeat mode. So he became "bad" for the franchise back during that awful Voyager period.

10. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

Good point. People have gotten so used to bashing Rick and Brannon that they tend to forget that those two (along with Ron Moore, Ira Steven Behr, etc.) have done some amazing work with Trek over the years.

If TNG had continued as the same show it was for the first two years, we wouldn't even be talking about it today.

11. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Yeah, both Berman and Braga have done some great things for the franchise. As Jack pointed out, Berman did save the franchise in the late 80s and early 90s, but I just think he's run out of ideas (sort of like Eisner at Disney). And Braga is an extremely talented writer; he was responsible for some of the best episodes from TNG's 3rd, 4th, & 5th seasons. He just doesn't seem to be as good at carrying on story arcs. I think he'd be an ideal writer for a Twilight Zone-like anthology series.

As I've said before, even though this past season of Enterprise has been pretty good, I really hope this rest lasts a little while. I don't really have an opinion on the proposed 11th movie yet, except that if they're going to create a completely new set of characters, I would rather they jump ahead into the future instead of going back into the past again. After all, Star Trek has always been about going forward.

12. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

sort of like Eisner at Disney.

Mr. Eisner had plenty of ideas at Disney. Trouble is, they were all bad.

Gnomeo and Juliet -- a retelling of Shakespeare's classic fable as acted by lawn gnomes. I'm not making this up, this was Eisner's brainchild.

13. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Screenwriter

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I just wish that the current generation of Star Trek producers could go a year or so without starting a war. [​IMG] I mean, you look at The Next Generation, at Deep Space Nine, at Enterprise [I stopped watching Voyager so I can't comment]; it seems that they are not satisfied with the self-contained episodic format of the original series, but the only large-scale framing device they can come up with is Galactic War to the Knife. It is really getting old!

15. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

And to think, both have ended as a result of bad writting. The irony of it all...

Peace,

DM

16. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

And to think, both have ended as a result of bad writting. The irony of it all...

I believe the Star Wars prequels are ending because there isn't another whole number between "3" and "4".

[​IMG]

17. Andrew Priest

Andrew Priest Stunt Coordinator

Well, Lucas could always decide to switch the numbering of Star Wars movies from integer to floating point. [​IMG]

18. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

But there is after "6" [​IMG]
    I would never count out the possibility of a "sequel" trilogy.

19. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

I can hardly hold my tears back.

20. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

I have an old VHS tape of Star Wars that has an interview with George Lucas, where he in fact says that he intended to do the prequels, and then come back and do episodes 7,8, and 9. In more recent interviews, I've seen him totally deny that he ever said that (even though I have it on tape), and that he has absolutely NO intentions of doing any more Star Wars films. Episode 3 is IT.