What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Richard,
That's the fun of the forum! Can you imagine...I am sitting here in my cubicle, taking a break with the HTF, and someone has used MY quote with rolleyes!?!?! *$(% Man, What The *&#@!!! I'll show him!!! And so on...we've done it before, we'll do it again:D So, you did not offend at all. Hopefully, neither did I. But enough e-hugging.
Back to the topic...Star Wars and *N'SYNC. You don't have to make anything up to be funny. It's just there. Again, I don't care, because you won't even be able to tell on-screen. It's a shame that it got out, since it's fodder for lame news stories, but it's not like Access Hollywood or ET or the E channel had much else to talk about;)
Take care,
Chuck

From Sonic.net...
EW Grade: B
What's a maturing boy band to do? If you're the Backstreet Boys, it's sadly, painfully obvious: Loathe yourselves. As we saw at this year's Super Bowl, where they sullenly crooned the national anthem, the Boys are in a slump, and last year's soggy ''Black & Blue'' reflected it (case in point: AJ McLean's recent behind-the-music moment). For their arch-rivals 'N Sync, who seemed thrilled to be onstage at the halftime Super Bowl show, the answer is diversify, diversify, diversify. Either to show off their eclectic tastes or to ensure that they have a future on one radio format or another, 'N Sync have stuffed Celebrity with as many genres as there are songs. So let's analyze this pivotal -- for them -- album, cut by cut:
''Pop'' The disc opens with a jolt of jittery pop-techno, and there's an undeniable oomph when those bustling beats kick in on the chorus. But it's producer Brian Transeau, a.k.a. BT, and not cowriters Justin Timberlake and Wade Robson (a.k.a. the band's choreographer), who is clearly the hero. The paranoid lyrics, in which they congratulate themselves for ''the gift of melody,'' are obvious at best, self-glorifying at worst. Still, the single's blend of beats and bad attitude should have Michael Jackson very worried. B+
''Celebrity'' ''If I wasn't a celebrity/Would you be so nice to me?'' they grumble on this whirring Rodney Jerkins-produced thumper. About a year ago, I predicted that the teen boom would end when its practitioners started writing their own material. Let me revise that: It will end when they start writing their own material about how hard it is to be rich and famous. C+
''The Game Is Over'' Their troubles continue -- this time, at the hands of a woman who dispenses ''lies.'' Lesson of the album so far: It's not easy being a guy, even if you're in 'N Sync. The music is pure PlayStation pop -- it even samples Pac-Man -- but they sure know how to sink their pearly teeth into a PO'd chorus. B
''Girlfriend'' Timberlake puts the moves on a young thing by giving her the old ''I'm better than him'' line; Jacko's heyday is again invoked by the chunky-funky groove, courtesy of in-demand producers the Neptunes. Bonus point: The song is far less obsequious than the faux-R&B moments of ''No Strings Attached.'' B
''The Two of Us'' Picture yourself with a ''Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds'' riff fused with happy-face two-step -- and then made trite by lovestruck lyrics (''I'm thinkin' 'bout you day and night/And I just can't get you off my mind''). B-
''Gone'' Yet another example of the band grabbing the reins of their own music, this Timberlake-Robson cut has the sparest production so far: a basic thump, some flamenco guitar, a jab of strings, a ghostly whisper of a chorus, and a trembling-vibrato delivery recalling ''Off the Wall.'' No wonder Jacko supposedly wanted it for his upcoming album. Then again, maybe he shouldn't bother finishing it: ''Celebrity'' might as well be the next Michael Jackson record. B-
''Tell Me, Tell Me...Baby'' Europop craftsman Max Martin returns with his ellipses (''Baby...One More Time''), and not a moment too soon. Assembled in Sweden, this is a fallback in case the experiments fail, but as fallbacks go, it's a good one. B
''Up Against the Wall'' JC Chasez, the most adventurous member when it comes to both music and hair, dips deeper into two-step. The beats zigzag like mad, matching the lyric about cruising a club at night and doing, well, something against a wall with an enticing female. First reaction: Who'd have thunk it? Second reaction: What exactly do the blond one, the chunky one, and the one with the goofy broom-handle hair do in this band? A
''See Right Through You'' The third consecutive dance cut, this one another tale of betrayal by scheming girls. Timberlake's huffy, teeth-clenched delivery is, again, vintage Jackson. As for the lyrics: ''Does he freak you the way that I do?'' -- well, JC, you're no Rick James. B
''Selfish'' Target: the adult-contemporary market. Ammo: producer Brian McKnight, soppy lyrics, and the dusting off of the Croon, a boy-band staple. The Backstreet Boys could take this to a higher plane; 'N Sync settle for competence. B
''Just Don't Tell Me That'' Like ''Tell Me...'' this, too, feels like a leftover Ace of Base track that one of their team of Swedish producers stuck in the mail. That doesn't make it any less propulsive. A-
''Something Like You'' Another hallmark of the boy-band era: the squishy ballad with drooling-puppy harmonies and lyrics (''You must be heaven-sent, I swear''). Should have been banished to a 98 Degrees album. D
''Do Your Thing'' Mild electronica, willowy vocals -- they've now morphed into Janet Jackson. Pleasant filler and nothing more. B
Which, come to think of it, is the average grade for the whole album. ''Celebrity'' may be the consummate teen-pop experience: It has the R&B swipes, the ballads, the grasps at artistic self-expression, and the requisite Europop. On it, 'N Sync are both puppets and puppet masters. Even if it all crumbles (the muted reception to ''Pop'' is ominous), they'll go down swinging. As the Backstreet Boys are proving, there are more troubling fates for boy bands. B
(Posted:07/23/01)
Just thought I would chime in show some support for the "POP" group you all seem to "Love to Hate."
I personally enjoy their music and find the relentless bashing, especially from such intelligent individuals, very annoying...
...and what's with the SW "FANBOY" outbreak all of a sudden. It's pretty rediculous not to go and see a movie just because someone you don't like makes a VERY BRIEF(in fact, probably unoticeable)cameo.
Woops, I guess I'm unPOPular now. :)
Just my $0.02
Flame suit...ON. :p)
WiGgLe :D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Just as a note though:
From Salon.Com:
http://www.salon.com/people/col/reit...s/index.html?x
Jan. 3, 2002 | Maybe George Lucas should have called the upcoming "Star Wars" film "Attack the Clones," rather than "Attack of the Clones."
In it, Lucas is doing what the rest of us can only dream of: He's blowing 'NSync to bits.
According to the Australian Web site Undercover Online, at the behest of his 13-year-old daughter, Kate, a big 'NSync fan, the "Star Wars" mastermind has invited Justin, Lance, JC and the gang to make an appearance in the film. The boy banders will play Jedi Knights in a battle scene, but will be glimpsable only on the DVD release of the film and only for a split second -- before they're blown to high heaven by a pack of bloodthirsty droids.
Bloodthirsty droids with a low tolerance for schmaltzy pop music, apparently
So, Nsync appears ONLY on the DVD version, ONLY for split seconds, and in the end, they get blown up. Come on Nsync haters, tell me this isn't at least laughably entertaining!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
William, you don't deserve to be flamed for simply liking N Sync so I'm not going to do so and I hope no one else does either.

N Sync doesn't deserve a part in any movie let alone Star Wars. I realize that there was a movie with some of the members--maybe all--but they aren't trained actors. They are performers. There is a difference.

I agree that it's ludicrous to let a cameo like this prevent someone from seeing a movie, especially when the cameo is probably going to have no impact on the story. I'm taking the wait-and-see approach before I slam the decision to put the boy band in the movie.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
All these reports coming in from questionable news outlets don't convince me that it is a true story. When I see it in the local paper, at cnn.com or from a reliable news outlet, then I'll believe it. I've seen enough of these urban legends passed off as true stories to know not to jump the gun. Simply saying that Spokesperson X from Lucasfilm has confirmed the story isn't enough for me. I want independent and reliable confirmation, and I haven't seen that yet.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
doesn't DESERVE to be in a movie? Come on now. no one DESERVES to be in a movie. NSync are stars, today just singing (or lip syncing or whatever), but they may very well turn into actors for all you know. Actors have to start somewhere, and you don't need "training" to be an actor for goodness sake. Having a bit part as an extra in a film is so close to nothing I can't believe people have so overreacted to this. Shows you how we are getting back to "normal" I s'pose....

Also, I find it funny how people critize NSync. You may not like the music, which is your right, but do you do the same thing to opera singers you don't like? What makes a pop band the subject of so much bitterness and stupidity by seemingly otherwise intelligent members of forums such as this? (not picking on any particular HTF member, just a general observation...)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Though I'm somewhat of a Star Wars outsider now (saw the first one 18 times at the theater when I was 10 yrs old and countless times since, saw the last one once - which was exactly one time too many), I think I understand why there's such a backlash about this: it reinforces the impression that the Star Wars franchise is/has become nothing more than product placement and marketing, with nothing at all to do with the eye-popping myth-making that made the original so grand and so appealing.

I'm not the least bit excited about the next installment - and that's a helluva thing for someone who discovered the magic of movies with the original Star Wars. Now, I'm about as interested in CLONES as I am in the next Harry Potter - that is, not at all interested.

And this NSYNC thing - while not really a big deal - simply reinforces the notion that this series no longer speaks to me. It's not intended for me. But it's no great loss. The first couple of films still hold-up and transport me to about the same place they did when I was a kid. And the fantasy epic is now in the good hands of Peter Jackson and (maybe someday once again) the Wachowski Bros. We don't need George Lucas anymore. Which is a good thing, because the George Lucas we once needed no longer exists. I suspect he's off somewhere with the old Francis Ford Coppola.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Al, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love the way you express it. To paraphrase what Slim Pickens' character said about Harvey Korman's character in Blazing Saddles, you use your tongue (or in this case, fingers) prettier than a twenty dollar whore. :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My understanding is that in a major plot point, it is revealed that NSYNC are actually clones of a group of rogue Jedi known as the Bakstreet Padwans who were in turn clones of the New Padwans on the Block from a decade earlier. This sets up the ensuing clone wars which will be brought to you by Pepsi.

I am personally outraged that these pop stars will be cast as featured extras - effectively stealing the jobs that historically are entitled to the executive and associate producers' children and other family members struggling to get their SAG cards.

Regards,

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
it reinforces the impression that the Star Wars franchise is/has become nothing more than product placement and marketing, with nothing at all to do with the eye-popping myth-making that made the original so grand and so appealing.
And LOTR with it's Burger King tie-ins, and videogames, and toys all over the place isn't? If you say so. All big event films will always have tons of marketing, toys, videogames, and every other thing you don't like.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Terrell,

While I don't completely agree with Al's views, they are his opinions, and he can back them up. As for merchandising and SW and LOTR, it's the question of the primary driver. Sometimes it seems that the cart is leading the horse in the case of SW. I might not agree with that assessment, but I can see where it comes from. We wouldn't even have LOTR if they did not make a few licensing deals to support funding. As for the toys, they are hardly ubiquitous. So I think the two can't be adequately compared on that level.

Although the assumption that event movies must have merchandising is, sadly, accurate.

Take care,

Chuck

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Wonderful read, Al. One of the best posts I've seen on this forum. We are of the same zeitgeist, if not from the same era. Star Wars, the myth, has long been replaced by SW, the marketing monolith.

No one stays gold forever. I am hoping that the Wachowski Bros. successfully take the mantle of scifi/fantasy visionaries and run with it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The Star Wars films are also 25 years old, and have attained legendary status. The LOTR films, haven't as of yet. Nothing that big, popular, and successful can remain small and magical. However, if you allow the gigantic monolith that is Star Wars to destroy the magic of the original films for you, then it will. I don't. The originals are just as magical to me as the day I saw them. If the LOTR film franchise goes on to attain even a fraction of the legendary cult status and broad appeal that Star Wars does, you can bet, they too will become a product of marketing.

That wasn't a slap against the LOTR film, which I liked. Just an inevitable fact that films like these explode into this marketing behemoth. Spiderman will soon follow course, just like every big name film from Star Wars, to Star Trek, to Batman.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I don't really have a problem with NSync having cameos per se as long as they are unrecognisable. However, I have no idea what they look like (nor do I want to) so I guess my perspective is slightly different.

The problem is that Lucasfilm felt the need to confirm their appearance as if this really mattered to the film. I know most of us would love to cameo on a Star Wars film, and I recall Samuel Jackson wanted to do this for Episode I, but what was different was he was willing to do it without anyone even knowing he was there. Lucasfilm can let anyone they want do cameos, but they should have kept this one between them and NSync - why we need to know this is beyond me, unless they are going to use it as some marketing tool. I really hope that this is the last we hear of it from Lucasfilm.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
My understanding is that in a major plot point, it is revealed that NSYNC are actually clones of a group of rogue Jedi known as the Bakstreet Padwans who were in turn clones of the New Padwans on the Block from a decade earlier. This sets up the ensuing clone wars which will be brought to you by Pepsi.

I am personally outraged that these pop stars will be cast as featured extras - effectively stealing the jobs that historically are entitled to the executive and associate producers' children and other family members struggling to get their SAG cards.
Ken,

One of the most clever and sardonic posts that I've seen on this forum.

Hmmm,...after reading this thread, I guess the SW machine does hold some entertainment value for me. Mostly humor, though.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
How are these guys any more worthy of ridicule than New Kids on the Block 10 years ago? Anybody lament the filmmakers for hiring Donnie Whalberg for The Sixth Sense, or Band of Brothers? He had speaking parts, N*Stink are just extras.

What about his brother in POTA, Boogie Nights, Three Kings, or Perfect Storm ?

Give 'em a break. Boy bands aren't allowed to be SW fanboys?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks