1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars 2 AOTC DVD: will it be the film or digital ending & what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I never knew there was a difference til reading it on the net so will the DVD have both & does anyone know the difference.

2. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Don't know if the DVD will have it, but the difference is that while in the film version, there's a shot of Anakin's terminator hand next to Padme's during the wedding scene, the digital version shows them holding those hands together.

3. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

that's weird, why did they do that?

4. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Because they're in love and are getting married! :p)

As for why there are two versions of the film, look in the official Ep 2 thread in the Movies forum, it was debated there endlessly earlier this summer.

5. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Screenwriter

Simon Massey
    The reason is Lucas wanted to make a few adjustments to the film prior to release, but the Film version needs more time to change than the digital one. (there are more changes than just Padme holding Anakin's mechanical hand)

It will probably be the digital version which ends up on the DVD

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

that is great to hear and thanks for the update
    [​IMG]

7. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

Great, now everyone can argue which version is the original theatrical release. [​IMG]

8. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I prefer the digital version ending, it's small but works a little better, and yes, the digital version was amazing.[​IMG]

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

This issue was actually raised in this recent thread, however I'll leave this one open as it concentrates fully on this specific issue (where as the other one was more about the release date).
    We're probably going to get NEITHER theatrical edition. It was said by one of the folks at ILM at Celebration 2 that three additional scenes had nearly been finished to be put back in for the DVD, we're clearly going to get a slightly extended cut as we did with TPM if true.
    So if that becomes the case, people will surely argue over not having the original theatrical release. They of course will be faced with the issue that there were two different theatrical releases. [​IMG]
    Dan

10. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

So what were the other changes made to the digital 'print'?

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

That's not true, Matt. Various other digital shots were altered and fixed. The hand shot was the most blatant of the changes, the rest were minor CG fixes I believe.

Dan

13. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

More importantly, will the AOTC DVD be a direct digital-to-digital transfer for DVD? Or will we get a film to video transfer like the first Star Wars DVD?

14. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Don't know for sure, but I've heard that the DVD will be a film-to-DVD transfer, supposedly because Lucas wants consistency in the way all 6 films will look when they are eventually released to DVD. So far, we've only got one film that was shot digitally, so perhaps Lucas is making the right choice.

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay, Dan...you're right. I thought Mike meant additional shots/scenes, etc...

As far as the digital-to-digital transfer...I've also heard that Lucas is going to transfer from film.

16. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Transferring this thing from film to DVD would be one of the most disapointing things that they could do.

If George wanted consistancy, then he should have shot all film.

I will be truly amazed if Episode 2 is not a direct to digital transfer on DVD. A extremely high quality direct to digital DVD transfer would sell more people on the benefits of digital cinematography.

Doing it from film would probably be more costly, and most importantly, would degrade the image one generation from what it could have been.

17. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Yep, it should definitely be digital to digital. I love how almost everyone has 'heard' that the disc will be transferred from film to digital. I have also 'heard' the same thing, but as with everything on the net, there's been nothing officially released in print on the matter. It may have been mentioned at one of the conventions, but I'll believe it when I see it.

mike.

18. Chad R

Chad R Screenwriter

Chad Rouch
    What was said about the film to tape transfer was when we asked lucasfilm (via Bill Hunt I believe) if TPM would be a film or digital transfer.

The answer applied to TPM, and it did indeed say that he wanted a consistent look. He very well could have changed his mind. So, I won't be surprised if it goes either way.

19. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I think this movie should come with a version and build number on it, like a computer program. That way we know which version we're dealing with.

20. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell