What's new

Star Trek: Voyager specs and art (1 Viewer)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Those cases are hideous.

I'd consider buying "Voyager", but I'd be ashamed to have those on my shelves, sorry!

Spero D

Second Unit
I'm buying Voyager. I liked the show better than DS9. Now when do we see the cover art of the UK versions? :)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I am counting Ric to come to the rescue and save me from bad case hell.
Um, yeah, they're pretty ugly. Its those colors!

As I said before, I may wait until at least a few seasons go by so that I can get a better handle on it. From a custom cover design point of view, I am concerned that the first set only has 5 discs (I had a feeling this was going to be the case). I was hoping they could eek out six discs so that my spines would be all the same size (6 and 7's are the same size). I think its going to look a little off for the first case to be skinnier than the others when doing one of my panoramic shots.

Because of the width of that first spine (in a five disc case) the logo will have to be vertical (on all of them) like TNG instead of horizontal like DS9. I prefer going horizontal because it gives me more room for the picture.

I may force the first disc into a six disc case and just have an extra slot for a BB bonus disc, a CD-Rom or a soundtrack CD.

I wouldn't expect anything until at least half way through the entire release (six months).

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Yeah, the packaging looks bad in the picture, but I'm reminded of the DS9 releases. I thought those looked horrible in the promotional photographs - but I ended up being pleased. The only thing I don't understand about the DS9 cases is the color schemes... TNG went in spectrum order (ROYGBIV). I never did figure out the logic behind the DS9 color choices.

As for the Voyager show itself... well... it pales in comparison to the earlier Trek series, but it is as good or better than a lot of what poses as sci-fi on TV. It is well-produced, but unorginal.

-Scott

paul_austin

Second Unit
I'd be curious to see the UK editions since those historically have looked nicer than ours. Amazon UK doesnt have photos up yet

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The only thing I don't understand about the DS9 cases is the color schemes... TNG went in spectrum order (ROYGBIV). I never did figure out the logic behind the DS9 color choices.
That's something I can't stand about the sets. A couple of the colors look identical, so it gets kind of confusing.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The other aspect of the UK release is that Season 1 is longer in the UK. They actually had 4 more episodes (up to the one about Amelia Earhart) which did actually work better as a season finale I thought. I assume these will be the first 4 episodes of Season 2 in the US but I will be interested to see whether they alter the seasons for the UK versions.

Voyager was the first Trek show I actually watched, and I really enjoyed it. I have never been able to get into TNG because they just seem to be recycling a lot of Voyager stories :D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
They actually had 4 more episodes (up to the one about Amelia Earhart) which did actually work better as a season finale I thought. I assume these will be the first 4 episodes of Season 2 in the US
Actually, those last four episodes were supposed to be broadcast at the end of season one. Paramount changed their mind abnd decided to put them at the beginning of season 2. Although, in season 2, I don't think we ended up with four extra episodes!

Ric

Brian Alan

Agent
Unlike most people, I liked TNG and Voyager a lot, and found DS9 virtually unwatchable; I stopped watching that one early on. But to each his own. I am particularly excited to see the pilot again. "Caretaker" is never on in syndication that I've seen; I don't know if it's ever been cut down to two one-hour segments suitable for syndicated viewing. I'm also very interested to see how Bujold handled the Janeway part. I doubt she would have been as good as Mulgrew. I am really out on a limb when I say she's my favorite of the Star Trek captains.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Looking at an episode guide, I see that the whole Seska arc basically started the episode after the Earhart episode. But, episodes after that are marked as being shot during season one production. So, were those episodes rejiggered to further the arc, or does the arc just kind of take a break until those are out of the way?

Kai Zas

Second Unit
DS9 unwatchable?

I rememberd it being great from my childhood, but seeing it now in the correct order makes me admire the show even more. (I live in Europe, we had DS9 spread across a few channels, all in a different order.)

In comparison even TNG seems bland and dated. Turns out I like Star Trek more after the death of Roddenberry. His ideals were just too strong. I prefer the somewhat darker side of our future.

(Just watched "Inquisition" and "In the Pale Moonlight" yesterday :) )

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just watched "Inquisition" and "In the Pale Moonlight" yesterday
:emoji_thumbsup: I'm right where you are!

I'm sad I'm nearing the end of season six, but glad season seven is less than two weeks away, but sad that that'll be it for DS9. :frowning: I didn't watch this show during its run, but it has come close to spoiling me for other Trek. I still have three TNG boxes to buy, but I'm not sure I want to go back to those stuffy old guys. ;) Nah, once I get them, I'll be back into it easy. But, I'll miss my nightly DS9 discoveries.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I've already been looking into the DS9 relaunch books :)

Apparantly the Avatar books are a must-read for DS9 fans.

I'm not sure I'll buy Voyager, but I probably will. It's still Trek and it had some good moments. But overall it'll be a cold shower after the brilliance of DS9. I realy don't see why it didn't have more support back in the day. I can't see what went wrong with it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wow. I just got done watching "His Way." Great episode. I'm really glad the Trek creative staff shares my love of jazz and standards. I hope that stuff made it onto CD. You're in for a treat, Kai. And, I'll look into the books, too. :)

It won't be until season five of Voyager, but Someone To Watch Over Me was a favorite episode of mine, mainly because of the music. And, of course, Will Riker was a bit of a jazz man himself.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
"His way" was indeed sweet, but I was expecting more after all those years of buildup between those two. I realy thought she could never love him after the event of "Children of Time".

And I had completely forgotten about Vic Fontain. Love that hologram :)

(This is quickly turning into a DS9 thread...)

GarySchrock

Second Unit
That looks pretty clearly like it's still those hard plastic thin trays that DS9 uses, just with some different style of exterior cover.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
also from those bigger pictures you can tell its a type of case that just slips over the bottom with the front of the case/season one logo reaching high enough to cover the first disc.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
"Caretaker" is never on in syndication that I've seen; I don't know if it's ever been cut down to two one-hour segments suitable for syndicated viewing.
Funny, out here Voyager is shown on the Hallmark channel (cable), and twice I've seen Caretaker shown in two one-hour halves, if you will. Same thing for Endgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.