What's new

Star Trek VI transfer AR (UPDATE: Martin Blythe responds! see msg. 103) (1 Viewer)

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
"The what?! Please explain."

Most non-US territories got ST4 with a prologue made up of footage from ST2 & 3 and new music and Kirk voice-over.

It was intended to bring the 'newbies' up to speed on what had been happening in the Trek universe prior to them walking in the door to see the "Funny Trek movie with the whales." ;)

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
I don't check this forum for four days and all hell breaks loose? For the record, the transfer was supervised and approved by Nick Meyer and the aspect ratio is approx 2:1 at his direction. We generally defer to directors and cinematographers on this issue.

Derek Germano was the only one to get it right when he alluded to the film originally being released in 70mm as well as 35mm. I'm simplifying this a bit but the 70mm was our guide to what we wanted the new disc to look like and that roughly converts to 2:1.

Others are right about some limited reframing - Nick is very happy with the results and he's going to do two in-store DVD signings for those who are interested: Borders Westwood in Los Angeles on 1/27 (7:30PM) and Borders San Rafael in San Francisco on 1/31 (4PM). You're all welcome!

Memo to Bolus: what press release ever referred to this DVD being a 2.35:1? We don't mention aspect ratios for the very reasons discussed in this thread - it's too confusing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Martin, that just reinforces how valuable your presence is. Thanks for setting the record straight!

M.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Martin, thanks for clearing it up. I had confidence that's what happened, Paramount's done a great job with the Trek SEs, I didn't think you guys would mess up now, but the clarification is much appreciated nonetheless.

Seth, that was priceless, pure comedy gold.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Damin,

I am not a film historian, however, I doubt there has been a period of time where such significant movies have been altered. We are talking about several films of the AFI Top 100 list here. THERE IS a definite trend (re)surfacing in the last several years. It's been discussed by other directors and film people. Your hypothetical list (that you admittingly imply you can't provide) is irrelavent to the recent trend that has been happening with recent popular movies.

I have no doubt that George Lucas' re-work of Star Wars: SE in 1997 have ignited all of this revisionism and new cuts that we are seeing. This is quite obvious and not an illusion. The old expression, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining" applies here. :)

Furthermore, your hostile tone in which you debate is really uncalled for. I see this in many of your posts and I'm sure others will agree with me. Why not drop the "smartass" attitude and remarks that encourage hostility in one way or another? It doesn't really impress me, nor prove much. Know what I mean?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But the Bits review mentions that the movie shouldn't show any bars on a "properly calibrated" set. Shouldn't a "properly calibrated" set have no overscan?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Er, doesn't the original extended edition of Star Trek VI (the 1992 VHS/LD release) predate the 1997 Star Wars SE? Heck, maybe Star Trek VI started "all of this revisionism."
;)

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

This is called an "argument from false authority." (i.e. "I'm not a doctor, but I play one of TV.")

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Gone with the Wind was re-framed to widescreen in the 1960's and in Eastmancolor. David O. Selznick supposedly liked the different color cast of the 1950's re-release.

The Gold Rush was slightly re-edited, scored, and given narration by Charlie Chaplin in the 1940's.

Modern Times had a short bit of a scene deleted for general release.

The Wizard of Oz was edited quite a bit after previews to its current form.

Stanley Kubrick re-edited and altered 2001: A Space Odyssey after previews to its current form.

E.T. was altered for its 2002 re-release by Steven Spielberg.

Star Wars... never mind. :)

Dances With Wolves has been restored to its initial "director's cut" by Kevin Costner.

Amadeus has been restored to its initial "director's cut" by Milos Forman.

The Wild Bunch has been edited back to its original version (as originally intended by Sam Peckinpah)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind has been altered twice by Steven Spielberg.

Francis Ford Coppola has extended Apocalypse Now considerably.

D.W. Griffith edited Birth of a Nation into a myriad of forms from 1915 to 1930.

A Streetcar Named Desire was restored to the original form recently.

Fantasia, It's a Wonderful Life, Frankenstein, and All Quiet on the Western Front were altered (and subsequently restored) by studios.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

My list is extremely relevant to debunk your claim (echoed often by others whenever these topics come up) that what's going on now is somehow different than what has come before. It's pure myopia.

DJ

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Welcome back Martin.

I sincerely hope everything is as you say it is. If the film is properly transferred at the intended ratio then I'm all for it. I just hope the contrast levels are also corrected from the previous edition. They were for Treks II and III and IV.

HOWEVER...the new transfer of "Dragonslayer" gives me pause. The contrast levels were WAY WAY too high, and the matte lines and garbage mattes are not only there, they're actually highly distracting in a few scenes, notably the final battle atop the mountains. What went wrong there?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thank you very much for the confirmation, Mr. Blythe. We really appreciate your input. As others have said, it's wonderful to have people in the industry communicating with the fans. Thanks again!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

I can confirm that it was definitely produced for the overseas markets. The initial home video release of IV contained this prologue, which runs about four minutes long. It also had some new music composed by Leonard Rosenman integrated with music from the soundtrack score. It even had a reversal of the title to where it read "The Voyage Home: Star Trek IV", and instead of the transporter effect used to bring the logo on screen, they used the whale probe as the basis of the logo, in all block letters and not the "Star Trek" font that's become familiar. Too bad that it wasn't included as a little bonus extra in the 2-disc SE of IV last year.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the advice, Damin.

Star Wars, E.T., Apoc. Now, Alien (even though Ridely Scott stated his stance on this one - FOX was pushing this for a theatrical re-release and needed something 'new' which further supports my point here), The Exorcist? In how many years time? Pretty good guesses. Are you denying these aren't large films? Are you denying these haven't been re-released in the last several years? Why all of a sudden do we see these particular movies? Why weren't they done sooner? Do you not see something happening?

They weren't done sooner because DVD didn't exist. Some fillmakers and studios view DVD in particular to allow such change.
Revise a classic movie; release it to the theater as "Fully Restored"; then release it on DVD.

This IS a growing trend in the last several years with large films. I suspect it will continue particularly with DVD as many filmmakers view this as another means (at least, in part) for revision.

I don't mean to state that revising films has never been done before. But, something is definitely going on and DVD helps further this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks