1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek V:CE due on 10/14

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daniel Kikin, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Well-Known Member

StarTrek.com has announced the content for the 2 disc CE due on 10/14:

2. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Well-Known Member

any word on a director's cut?

3. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Well-Known Member

4. Rob T

Rob T Well-Known Member

No Shatner/Nimoy commentary? damn. [​IMG]

5. Joel C

Joel C Well-Known Member

Hmm... good extras, on paper, but will it all be fluff? Will anyone aknowledge that most fans hate the film?

I'll likely upgrade, but I haven't even watched V all the way through, and I've had it around 4 years.

6. Gerry A

Gerry A Active Member

"Hmm... good extras, on paper, but will it all be fluff? Will anyone aknowledge that most fans hate the film? "

They do acknowledge that it wasn't the most popular of the Star Trek films it in the announcement of this DVD from the Official Star Trek Site:

"...Although it may not be the most popular Star Trek film, "The Final Frontier" is an engaging, and oftentimes humorous movie that features some nice interaction between the originals."

http://startrek.com/news/productnews.asp?ID=129297

Personally, I did like it specially because of the interaction between the three main actors.

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Well-Known Member

I'll skip V, thank you very much. I'll go wait in line for VI.

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Well-Known Member

Bryan Tuck
    This looks pretty good. Hearing Shatner and Nimoy together again would have been cool, and I do wish that Shatner had been allowed to make an alternate cut, but overall this looks like an excellent release. Even though I agree that it was one of the weaker Trek films, I've always had an affection for it. I also really like the character chemistry in it, and I still think it's better than Generations.

Looks like they've put together a really good package here. Glad they remembered the trailers. [​IMG]

9. LisaDoris

LisaDoris Well-Known Member

As one of the few Trekkies who doesn't loathe this film, the extras look good and the commentary should be interesting. Of course, this release does get us one step closer to ST:VI so it's good news all around.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Well-Known Member

Deleted Scenes Huh? I wonder what those Could be. I hope we get the deleted stuff on the Generations disk if not intergrated into the film then as deleted scenes.

11. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Well-Known Member

Count me in. Sounds like a good release of V. [​IMG]

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    Good enough to add to the collection and one step closer to my very favorite, VI.

I have only seen V once, it will be nice to see again, for the second time after all these years.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Well-Known Member

This definitely sounds much better than what I had been anticipating. The promise of the "rock man" footage and the deleted scenes is a good addition. And the featurettes actually sound like they might have some meat on the bone. While we're not getting a properly completed Director's Edition, perhaps Paramount will get the chance to revisit this title in the future, a la The Magnificent Ambersons, and redo it according to Shatner's specifications.

14. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Well-Known Member

I'm impressed. We're already 13 posts into this thread and nobody has chimed in with "No Director's Cut--No Sale!!"[​IMG]

I'm also one of those who does not hate this film and would have liked to have seen Shatner get a chance to improve it but I'm not sure this one is even worth trying to improve. The good news is that we are getting a nice package with anamorphic enhancement, deleted scenes and lots of other goodies.

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

I've read the novelization, it doesn't help [​IMG]

The film was just ill-conceived from the get-go. They REALLLY should have included the fan MST3K in a ghostbusters style visual commentary [​IMG]

16. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Cool Extras, they could be more entertaining then the movie. I read Liz Shatner's book years ago so it could be an interesting listen of the commentary by those two.

Great to see the Okuda text commentary is here. Perhaps these are only going to appear on the TOS cast films since Nemesis didn't have it?

Also looking forward to the production designer Zimmerman piece and I understand the next film, Trek 6 will have a piece on Matt Jeffries, the production designer of TOS, that one will be very cool! He's the Man. Zimmerman is okay. But Jeffries designed the real Enterprise.

Nelson

17. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Well-Known Member

Well, at least it was better than Nemesis!

I'll definitely be buying the second to worst Star Trek movie on DVD, but then I never bought the first version of it on DVD. Looks like a good set of features for a movie that I want in my collection no matter how bad it is.

18. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

19. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

Well I was going to pass on this since it wasn't going to have a new cut of the film, but the rockman footage and other deleted scenes have got me interested again. I guess it's the next best thing to a new cut of the film. No deleted scenes are mentioned for the movie on IMDB, so I have no idea what they could possibly be. I've never heard about that Mount Rushmore scene described above, and I'd definitely like to see it. Sounds kinda funny.

20. Larry P

Larry P Well-Known Member

I like The Final Frontier because it's like it recognized how awful ST III was and how hooky ST IV was and so it set out just to be a dumb, intentionally hooky adventure. Vintage sci-fi stuff here. I mean, it was about people in a starship trying to locate the Almighty God! Whoa! Spock's brother was great as the prophet/healer.

I can't wait to see the Rock People! If only there was an epic Rock People battle against the Klingons and the Cardassians and the Tribbles, then my viewing experience would have been complete! That's what the people wanted to see!

And before people start getting too sad about there not being a special edition, just remember what Lucas did to Star Wars! Lucas, who owns the most successful effects house ever couldn't even pull it off with his own films! The new background effects look good, but when you try to put new characters in the foreground alongside the old footage, it just doesn't match up. The muppet singing in ROTJ was bad enough, but then when he replaced her with CGI and added the hairy james brown alien singer too, it just looked ridiculous. Just give me the muppet!

Rock Man isn't a muppet but he's the next best thing, a man in a suit!

Anyway, this is the best Trektacular epic behind Wrath of Khan. I shed a tear for the vintage years, before the Next Gen movies, Voyager, and Enterprise sunk the franchise.