What's new

Star Trek V:CE due on 10/14 (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
StarTrek.com has announced the content for the 2 disc CE due on 10/14:

Disc 1
THE FILM
•The original theatrical version, presented in widescreen format enhanced for 16:9 televisions. Sound is Dolby Digital English 5.1, English and French Dolby Surround.

•Commentary by William Shatner and Liz Shatner (daughter and author of "Captain's Log – William Shatner's personal account of the making of Star Trek V – The Final Frontier")

•Text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda, co-authors of the "Star Trek Encyclopedia."

Disc 2
THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE:
•"Herman Zimmerman: A Tribute" – An examination of the visual influences production designer, Herman Zimmerman, has had on Star Trek since he first joined the Trek family on "Star Trek V." This retrospective illustrates what Mr. Zimmerman has contributed to not only the Star Trek features but also the TV series The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise. Includes interviews with Zimmerman, John Eaves (concept artist), Harve Bennett (producer), Penny Juday (project coordinator) and Michael Okuda (scenic artist).

•"Original Interview: William Shatner" – An original, unedited interview with William Shatner, filmed during the production of "Star Trek V."

•"Cosmic Thoughts" – In "Star Trek V," the crew of the Enterprise are searching for God and, as it turns out, spirituality has its place in the universe of Star Trek. This featurette examines the theme of religion throughout the TV series, the Star Trek movies and the annals of science fiction as a whole. Interviews include Ray Bradbury (sci-fi author), David Brin (scientist, sci-fi author), Frank Drake (head of SETI Institute), Charles Beichman (JPL, Terrestrial Planet Finder Project), Ted Peters (Exo-Theologists teaching at Berkeley), Eugene W. Roddenberry (son of Gene Roddenberry), Louis Friedman (executive director of the Planetary Society), Ralph Winter (executive producer) and David Loughery (screenwriter).

•"That Klingon Couple" – Actors Spice Williams and Todd Bryant reminisce about when they portrayed Klingons Captain Klaa and Vixis.

•"The Green Future?" – "Star Trek V" opens on location in Yosemite National Park and an environmental tone is woven throughout the film. This featurette gives a snapshot of the global environment of the future. Interviews include David Siegenthaler (Yosemite ecologist), Richard Turco (UCLA Institute of the Environment) and Julia Parker, a Native American spokesperson with insights into Man's impact on the environment.

PRODUCTION:
•Harve Bennett's Pitch To Sales Team – A pep talk by producer Harve Bennett to the Paramount sales team, firing them up about "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier."

•The Journey – Behind-The-Scenes Documentary – Memories of how "Star Trek V" was conceived, produced and directed. Interviews include William Shatner (director), Leonard Nimoy (actor), Ralph Winter (executive producer), Harve Bennett (producer), David Loughery (screenwriter), Michael Okuda (scenic artist), Andrew Lazlo (cinematographer), John Eaves (concept artist) and Herman Zimmerman (production designer).

•Make-Up Tests – An assembly of camera tests for various characters from the film.

•Per-Visualization Models – Spaceship model makers rehearse special effects moves with models.

•Rock Man In the Raw – Design elements and test footage of the aborted Rock Man costume.

•"Star Trek V" Press Conference – A reconstruction of the multi-camera press conference held on the last day of shooting for "Star Trek V" and hosted by William Shatner.

•Deleted Scenes – A variety of deleted scenes from "Star Trek V."

ADVERTISING
•Trailers – The teaser trailer, theatrical trailer and the trailer for The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones.

ARCHIVES
•Production Gallery – An assembly of stills and footage that capture behind-the-scene moments of production.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Hmm... good extras, on paper, but will it all be fluff? Will anyone aknowledge that most fans hate the film?

I'll likely upgrade, but I haven't even watched V all the way through, and I've had it around 4 years.

Gerry A

Agent
"Hmm... good extras, on paper, but will it all be fluff? Will anyone aknowledge that most fans hate the film? "

They do acknowledge that it wasn't the most popular of the Star Trek films it in the announcement of this DVD from the Official Star Trek Site:

"...Although it may not be the most popular Star Trek film, "The Final Frontier" is an engaging, and oftentimes humorous movie that features some nice interaction between the originals."

http://startrek.com/news/productnews.asp?ID=129297

Personally, I did like it specially because of the interaction between the three main actors.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'll skip V, thank you very much. I'll go wait in line for VI.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This looks pretty good. Hearing Shatner and Nimoy together again would have been cool, and I do wish that Shatner had been allowed to make an alternate cut, but overall this looks like an excellent release. Even though I agree that it was one of the weaker Trek films, I've always had an affection for it. I also really like the character chemistry in it, and I still think it's better than Generations.

Looks like they've put together a really good package here. Glad they remembered the trailers. :D

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
As one of the few Trekkies who doesn't loathe this film, the extras look good and the commentary should be interesting. Of course, this release does get us one step closer to ST:VI so it's good news all around.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Deleted Scenes Huh? I wonder what those Could be. I hope we get the deleted stuff on the Generations disk if not intergrated into the film then as deleted scenes.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good enough to add to the collection and one step closer to my very favorite, VI.

I have only seen V once, it will be nice to see again, for the second time after all these years.

Peace Out~:D

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
This definitely sounds much better than what I had been anticipating. The promise of the "rock man" footage and the deleted scenes is a good addition. And the featurettes actually sound like they might have some meat on the bone. While we're not getting a properly completed Director's Edition, perhaps Paramount will get the chance to revisit this title in the future, a la The Magnificent Ambersons, and redo it according to Shatner's specifications.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm impressed. We're already 13 posts into this thread and nobody has chimed in with "No Director's Cut--No Sale!!";)

I'm also one of those who does not hate this film and would have liked to have seen Shatner get a chance to improve it but I'm not sure this one is even worth trying to improve. The good news is that we are getting a nice package with anamorphic enhancement, deleted scenes and lots of other goodies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've read the novelization, it doesn't help :)

The film was just ill-conceived from the get-go. They REALLLY should have included the fan MST3K in a ghostbusters style visual commentary :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool Extras, they could be more entertaining then the movie. I read Liz Shatner's book years ago so it could be an interesting listen of the commentary by those two.

Great to see the Okuda text commentary is here. Perhaps these are only going to appear on the TOS cast films since Nemesis didn't have it?

Also looking forward to the production designer Zimmerman piece and I understand the next film, Trek 6 will have a piece on Matt Jeffries, the production designer of TOS, that one will be very cool! He's the Man. Zimmerman is okay. But Jeffries designed the real Enterprise.

Nelson

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, at least it was better than Nemesis!

I'll definitely be buying the second to worst Star Trek movie on DVD, but then I never bought the first version of it on DVD. Looks like a good set of features for a movie that I want in my collection no matter how bad it is.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Deleted Scenes Huh? I wonder what those Could be.
I went to a test screening of "Star Trek V" and the only scene that I clearly remember being deleted from the finished film was a scene with Sulu and Chekov hiking near Mount Rushmore as they're called back to the Enterprise. The gag was that Mount Rushmore had a Vulcan head added to it.

I'm sure there was more, but that's all I remember from that screening. I bet many fansites would have additional info.

One other funny thing from that screening: William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were both there and even signed a few autographs afterwards, which was brave considering the lackluster response to the movie. One obviously irate fan went up to Shatner and demanded, "How many more of these are you going to make?" Shatner sarcastically responded, "About one and a half."

And he was exactly right! :)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Well I was going to pass on this since it wasn't going to have a new cut of the film, but the rockman footage and other deleted scenes have got me interested again. I guess it's the next best thing to a new cut of the film. No deleted scenes are mentioned for the movie on IMDB, so I have no idea what they could possibly be. I've never heard about that Mount Rushmore scene described above, and I'd definitely like to see it. Sounds kinda funny.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I like The Final Frontier because it's like it recognized how awful ST III was and how hooky ST IV was and so it set out just to be a dumb, intentionally hooky adventure. Vintage sci-fi stuff here. I mean, it was about people in a starship trying to locate the Almighty God! Whoa! Spock's brother was great as the prophet/healer.

I can't wait to see the Rock People! If only there was an epic Rock People battle against the Klingons and the Cardassians and the Tribbles, then my viewing experience would have been complete! That's what the people wanted to see!

And before people start getting too sad about there not being a special edition, just remember what Lucas did to Star Wars! Lucas, who owns the most successful effects house ever couldn't even pull it off with his own films! The new background effects look good, but when you try to put new characters in the foreground alongside the old footage, it just doesn't match up. The muppet singing in ROTJ was bad enough, but then when he replaced her with CGI and added the hairy james brown alien singer too, it just looked ridiculous. Just give me the muppet!

Rock Man isn't a muppet but he's the next best thing, a man in a suit!

Anyway, this is the best Trektacular epic behind Wrath of Khan. I shed a tear for the vintage years, before the Next Gen movies, Voyager, and Enterprise sunk the franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks