What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

That is actually an excellent idea! :D In fact, it's more the colour scheme than anything else. Here is my crappy 10-second Photoshop example.

And if they can regrade the entire colour scheme for TNG (especially early TNG) to be more like, say, Generations (possibly the only good thing in that whole stinking movie was the cinematography) that would be a very good idea IMHO! :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Ok, but am I wrong, I was thinking new pieces were recorded for LOTR (extended versions) so that the music would better flow into the long form versions. And that some films, like Vertigo, had music redone (same music re-recorded) to give it a more "full" feel within the film.

So, I get the complaint with Jaws, and I agree, but I think there have been plenty of times where this has done and I don't see people complain.

I'm using Vertigo as my example. When Harris & Katz re-did it, and made it available on Laserdisc in DTS format, there were a lot of complaints. Some of the audio-recordings were entirely redone, etc.

Now, ten years later, I own both the original print version and the Harris & Katz version, and I will tel you, the updated 1996 release, which has full approval of the Hitchcock estate looks and feels like what Hitchcock meant. There is no meaningful change, the music re-recorded by a modern symphony to replace the old soundtrack has pretty well been accepted.

I don't see a lot of fighting in the forums over it. Here, you're dealing with Rodenberry's 1960s style special effects - the best he could get on the budget he had. But that doesn't mean changing them to make them more impressive is some terrible violation.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this. Anyway, I will definitely give them a shot :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Actually, here's an idea, even though it's more expensive than CG, it'll look more real.

Completly rebuild all the sets from the original TNG as they where when the episode was filmed. When ships arn't flying, use life size prop. When ships are flying, redoo everything with CG. Then re-incorporate everything into existing footage, and film it with an HD camera. Then all they have to do is get the actors into HD and they are done. Some of the video dosn't look that great in early TNG..

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Typical syndicated shows now run 42 minutes. That is an awful lot of the show getting removed. sigh.

I would think that the purists would be more angry at this than the cgi changes.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
For anyone in the area: In the Northwest Arkansas/Eastern Oklahoma region, the new TOS will be airing on KFDF (soon-to-be former UPN station) at 8pm on Saturdays, starting the 16th.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Will this or will this not air in HD...? I have heard conflicting news.

And yeah, making a big hoopla out of these and then cutting 8 or so minutes out of each epsiode...? And you KNOW they wanna show off the new FX so that means that dialogue and plot will be cut. At least when Sci-Fi channel first aired them "remastered" several years back they were uncut.
"Classic! Landmark! Iconic" but we've redone alot of it and cut 8 minutes out! These are worthless IMHO.... Basically a BIG commercial for the evntual "UNCUT!!" tweaked versions that they will sell later on DVD, then HDdvd then BD.

Bingo...

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Is there a site where they list when and where the eps are going to be broadcast?

I can't stand G4 but they got it right when they show "Star Trek Uncut." Don't get me started on that 2.0 crap they show, though.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Is there some info anywhere that lists the stations that will be showing this? There's a UPN in my area that is gonna have a lot of spots to fill, hopefully they'll have it. Of course, the station comes in like crap, even over cable.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I just got he word today about and I'm pretty excited about it. But reading some of the threads here especially dealing with time, it sucks for them to cut some of the show's time, well that's syndication for ya, play it to death and cut it to make room for commercials.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That's what I was so upset about. Paramount should have been all over this in their press release, instead we get "check your local listings." I did a search of TVguide.com's listings for Atlanta and it appears to be airing on WSB at 2:05 AM EDT on Sundays. Hope that helps! :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Why did they do it? Because all you HD set owners would bitch at how bad ST:TOS looks in HD if they didn't. Nothing is being redesigned. The interiors will remain the same. They just used CGI to sharpen up the space scenes. So far I have been really pleased with the still photos I've seen.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Not just that, there have been further tweaks in the FX dept. and music has been re-recorded....

"
Painted backdrops will also be brought to life: Once-empty star bases will have CGI people milling about, while static alien landscapes have been given slow-moving clouds and shimmering water. Okuda notes that a view of Earth in the 1966 episode "Miri" has been "replaced with a more accurate image, now that we've gone into deep space and looked back at ourselves."

Trek's opening theme is also getting an overhaul: The music has been re-recorded in stereo, and a new singer has been hired to wail those famous but wordless vocals. And goofs will be corrected: In "The Naked Time," there was no beam coming out of Scotty's phaser when he tried to cut through the bulkhead outside Engineering. Now there is..."

"...bringing TREK to a whole new generation!!"

"2:05 am on a sunday morning..."

The ironies continue.

LATEST UPDATE! Paris Hilton is the new singer of the classic TREK opening theme!!!!!

;) Well, if they really wanna be modern...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Are they trying to bury this show?? I just checked tvguide.com and they show "Balance of Terror" airing on NBC channel 4 NYC. But, the time they show it airing is 3:05AM on Sept.18th. 3:05am!! What are they thinking?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Grrr... Saturday and Sunday late-nights on WCVB-5 (ABC) here in Boston. You'd think that the Viacom-owned Channel 38 with a whole metric crapload of prime-time schedule to fill once UPN closes up shop would have had some interest.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
So what's the point of this? TVLand will be playing the original originals, yes? And probably at a much better time. This is all just a pre-cursor to sell TREK yet again on DVD, eventually HDdvd and then BD. There they will be "unedited"

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Nothing I can see for DTV Pacific on tvguide.com. Also, nothing on the Tivo either as of the weekend when I did a search. Maybe too soon.

Anyone have any idea about SF Bay Area listings?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks