What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 3- Remastered coming in November (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish I could find an interview with the guys at Paramount who actually said that they had done a computer scan of the Smithsonian model and were going to redo the first few episodes with the whiter looking ship.

It definitely changed after a few episodes. I think the article is archived on the Star Trek site. Maybe I can find it.

Edit - Was the first episode you refer to recorded on the opening air date (that is, the premiere?) Or was it simply a re-air of the first R-TOS, which subsequently had the grayer ship?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

Not true...I am picking this up strickly for the remastering, and the new CG shots. You don't need to see the show in hi-def to appreicate those two new items.

Thanks for the news...looking forward to getting the final season in November!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Or in my case, a ton...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'll be picking this up as well. I found the first two seasons at Costco last week for $55.49 each so I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I didn't pick up season 1 when I had it in my hand back in February at $129.99.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Any rundown on what's on each disc yet? Episodes and special features and such? Will "The Cage" be included?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
A real shame if it won't be included. I'd love to see the bigger shot of the zoom in from the outside of the ship into the bridge. It was seamless! In "The Menagerie," that scene was shrunken quite a bit because Kirk and company were looking at a screen on the wall.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I did say that. The report I read from trekmovie.com did say that The Cage Remastered is included in the Third Season Remastered Set. What is not clear, is if there will be the two versions included in the last 3rd Season Box set, the all color version and black and white/color version. I bet they only include the remastered version. I agree, it will be cool to see that opening shot remastered and full size when the camera pushes into the top of the Enterprise and through the dome! That was quite an achievement to blend into the live action.

The extras have not been specified yet, as far as I know from the sources that I look to. What's likely to be included are the extras that were on the last season box set ported over. These include the featurettes: "To Boldly Go....Season Three, Life Beyond Trek: Walter Keonig, Chief Engineer's Log, Memoir from Mr. Sulu, Star Trek's impact, A Star Trek Collector's Dream Come True and Production Art.

And based on the last 2 sets, they'll include Billy Blackburn's home movies from the set of Star Trek, I am eager to see that. And has been done with the other sets, there will be what they call Collectable Data Cards which says what's on each disc. And I almost forget, the trailers for each episode.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this new cover set I'm working on will also serve as a future Blu-ray set... with a little logo swappage.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally found a review and more details of the Third Season Remastered DVD set. It can be read at trekweb.com.

A few surprises are mentioned. First, the thing that I am really interested in is seeing The Cage. The reviewer, whose name sounds like a member here, states that the new remastered version of The Cage really grew on him. He likes how the new effects really enhanced that show quite well. I'm really curious how they delt with that awkward section when they go to warp and they dissolve with a double exposure of the bridge with stars flying by. And I want to see if they fixed the audio error that shows up in The Menagerie when Spock and Pike touch the singing plant, the music does not stop as it originally had.

Most of the extras on the last SD box set are ported over. 2 of the 3 new extras sound really good. One is for Bob Justman, one of the heros of Star Trek. The other is the Billy Blackburn home movies on the Star Trek set. Those have been terrific. And the third is about Star Trek collectables and the collectors, including a segment with Rod Roddenberry whose company sells replica props that was a Best Buy bonus disc.

Here's what is missing from the last set quoted from the review: "production sketches from Walter M. Jefferies, the text commentaries from Mike and Denise Okuda, and the collection of hidden "Red Shirt Logs", which were not ported from the previous DVD set for this new release..... The 1988 video release of "The Cage" (it would have been nice to have all three commercially released versions available on DVD for comparison, a la the "Blade Runner" DVD set)"

And he goes on about missing stuff that's never been included like the bloopers and some other videos on Herb Solow and Robert Justman's Star Trek: The Real Story and Shatner's Star Trek Memories.

MSRP is $100.00 according his review, which means about $60 street price. Street date is still November 18th. This is a set I'll pick-up to complete the collection. But of course, for those waiting for the Blu Ray, this is probably not for you!

Here's the full review: TrekWeb.com - DVD Review : Star Trek The Original Series Season 3 Remastered

edit: some updating, MSRP is $84.98 and Amazon lists this set for $66.99. From the latest info I could find, the season is spread out on 6 discs with a 7th for the extras.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Incidentally, the Deep Discount DVD sale has started and runs through November 23 and is 25% this year, so this would be the perfect product to order for maximum savings.

You will have to wait until the actual release date of November 18, though, since the sale does not apply to pre-orders, but the sale will still be on.

Codes that have been good in the past include:
SUPERSALE
USATODAY
NYTIMES
PRICESEARCH

I will be ordering the "Firefly" series blu-ray when it comes out next week, November 11.

We will need all the home entertainment we can get in this economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks