What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 2 HD-DVD- March 25th tentative release (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Paramount and CBS are technically separate companies. Even if Paramount went BD exclusive doesn't mean that CBS would. In fact even when Paramount was neutral CBS was not. All of their announced titles were for HD DVD only saying that the blu-ray version MIGHT be coming at some point. When Paramount went HD DVD exclusive CBS said nothing about it one way or the other, they just proceeded with their plans.

Doug

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
someone mentioned that superman returns in bluray with trueHD and pcm.. I was responding to that.

Jacob

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
DAMN! It is true that the March 2008 release date was never official. I guess I wanted to believe it was true!:)

Thanks for that news Reggie. Makes sense that the efforts to prepare the suppliments is still in the works.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I would point out that the item about the delay was dated Dec 3. This is old news and has nothing to do with the Warner situation. I fully expect S2 to be released unless Toshiba folds it's tent. I will likely buy it since I have no plans to switch to bluray.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how close we are to getting Enterprise in HD, now that Paramount has dropped the price of Enterprise in regular DVD to $50 (down from $100).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
While it appears that Toshiba is dropping the HD-DVD format and appears it will announce it this evening, I wonder what will happen to Star Trek.

I would imagine that if the material is already to go, they can format it to encode for BD as well. So now when will the second season be available and will they re-issue S1!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Digital Bits report:

Also, we haven't confirmed this with the studio yet, but it seems likely: Format War Central is reporting that a Technicolor insider has informed them that work has stopped on CBS and Paramount's Star Trek: The Original Series Remastered - Season Two HD-DVD release. They're saying that Toshiba was financing the production as part of an exclusive arrangement to have the title on HD-DVD only, and they've now pulled the plug.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Bummer. Paramount's Trek franchise was one of my deciding factors for getting into HD-DVD. Looks like they managed to get out exactly one release.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Woah. I came THIS close last week to finally picking S1 up with the new lower price. Glad I waited as I don't want to have this on 2 diff. formats.
Question is, how long until a BD release?

d

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Ditto for me, Dave. Did I hear that the tour around the Enterprise spacial feature could only be done with HD-DVD technology? I sure hope this gets out on Blu.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thing is, they are still making them for broadcast. You would think CBS/Paramount would want to get a return on their investment.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This is sad news, I gotta admit it. But, the hope is not gone. Let´s hope that it still arrives in HD..

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Depends on how the deal was structured. For Toshiba's protection I could imagine they have a clause that says Toshiba "owns" the remasters, since they paid for them, for the purposes of HDM and Paramount cannot simply re-encode them for Bluray at least for some period of time. The other is that if all work on S2 has stopped and S3 isn't even started, Paramount might not want to release S1 without definite plans for S2 and S3. Given that they weren't willing to pay for the work themselves before, they still may not be ready to pony up the cash until HDM has a much larger install base.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Maybe it's not so much as Paramount was unwilling to pay for the encodes as it was Toshiba offered to do it to get the studio on board with HD DVD?

With that being said, I'll be in line now to get each of the remastered seasons.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have my doubts about this. I mean at least the review copies were ready to go and all that. But I don´t have any official info about this.

Damn, if there´s one thing I regret now, it must the fact that "ST:TOS s2" is not coming. Or at least it´s seriously delayed. Or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks