What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 2 HD-DVD- March 25th tentative release (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The most current news is that Paramount CBS will continue to support HD-DVD. That means Star Trek TOS Season 2 and 3 boxsets will continue in the HD-DVD format. The article seen on trekmovie.com also goes on to deny what the Financial Times says that Paramount will drop HD-DVD. I see a lot of spin going on here and up coming too!

Paramount Sticking With HD DVD - Star Trek Seasons 2 & 3 Still On Track for 2008 | TrekMovie.com

Looks like Season 2 will be out in May or June and Season 3 in November. Oh man, I can't stand the wait! Just get it out and then work on the next format version!

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Expect to see this on Blu-Ray if Paramount drops HD-DVD to be with the in-crowd. Although, without a doubt the HDi Starfleet Access interface will not translate to BD-Java. Being a programmer I can almost gurantee it. If any of you have watched the Starfleet Access feature, you will surely miss it.
We should expect to see 5-6 Episodes a disc with just dolby digital sound and the statement would by "TrueHD will most like not be ported over due to some technical (blah, blah, blah) and the $199 SRP we feel represents the value of this title."

It's not hard to be cynical about this when most of my BD lack any features from the previous DVD. At least the HDi will be understandable because of compatibility issues.

Blaine

Agent

The orginal theatrical cut of "Star Trek VI" has never been issued on Video in any format. I think they did some final tweaking after the film was released to the theaters to 'help explain' some stuff.

Blaine

Agent

I'm curious as to why they couldn't port the TrueHD track to Blu-ray. Plus I think part of the insane price of the set was due to the Combo HD-DVD/DVD discs, which are just plain stupid if you ask me. There may be few nutters (like me) that purchase anything with the words "Star Trek" printed on them, but really, is a non HD-DVD owner going to really buy these sets?

I also wish they would have retained the 16x9 ratio on these as well. The HD versions of the episodes available from XBOX Live are 16x9 encoded with the original footage pillar-boxed and the new external FX footage in full widescreen. It might be confusing to some, but I liked it.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I know it hasn't and that was my point. I have this on VHS which included about five minutes of additional footage, but for the Special Collector's Edition, the director tweaked the Spock/Lt. Valeris mind meld (so I heard) which wasn't in the theatrical or the VHS release. It wasn't necessary IMO. There might be another addition/or tweak made for Star Trek VI for this two-disc DVD, but I don't recall what it was.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

As I understand it, this was one of the reasons that the CTO of Paramount chose HD-DVD over Blu Ray, access to all functionality was fully functional.

I've seen a good amount of the Starfleet Access features and it's really well done. It's probably a good thing Season 2 and 3 of TOS will still be HD-DVD, assuming they stick with it as they've stated recently. Then at least, these extras are available on these discs.

If a Blu Ray version comes out some time, I'd bet it would not be a hybrid disc and thus, the costs would be a little lower. This assumes at that time the cost to manufacture BD discs has come down.

I would be curious why these functions are not possible(?) to implement in BD?

Blaine

Agent

The "Special Edition" DVD is a new cut of the film, different from all of the previous video versions. The part of Colonel West (Rene Auberjonois) was a bit part (and uncredited) in the theatrical cut - and indeed in the final version as well. All of his sub-plot about the retrival plan and revealing him as the klingon assassin in disguise at the end was not in the theatrical release, but was in the previous videos. There is some additional detail in the mind meld - shots of the conspirators as they are named - which is added to this new cut.

I have and enjoy the ST TOS Season One HD DVD set, but I'm with Ron on this one... These sets are too expensive for me to collect in a format that may soon be on the way out. I may pick up the occasional can't-wait title (I have no regrets about "Bourne Ultimatum," for example), but I'm now glad I didn't grab the Matrix HD DVD set when it came out. I'm sure I'll enjoy my HD DVD's for years to come... I just don't think I'll be buying that many more.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

I'm of the exact opposite opinion Ron. With over 70 titles on HD DVD already, I'm not about to get rid of my Toshiba XA2. And selling off the entire HD DVD collection (as some folks have already started to do) is just plain silly. Hell, I can afford to throw the player and the discs in the trash and start over, but that would be downright stupid. :) So, what difference does it make if I buy more HD DVD titles?

I've got a standard def DVD player that is over 10 years old and it still works perfectly. I see no reason to expect anything different from my HD DVD player. So, it will sit happily with my Blu-ray player (currently, the Panny BD30) and play those beautiful red discs whenever I want to watch one!

Now, if Paramount has gone neutral by March 25 and releases TOS Season 2 in BOTH formats, that will be a tough call. :)

Mark

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

The videos and info for the Starfleet Access is there, but they would have to reprogram it all for BD-Java. The programmers cost money which I'm sure they will not dish out. Especially when they already paid for new menus.

As for the TrueHD part, just find someone who has Warner's (yes, I know ST is a Paramount title) Superman Returns on with BD with TrueHD and I'll find you a piece of Colorado beachfront property. Things have ways of getting lost.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
From what i understand, those Trek HD menus could use a little tweaking. They are hard to navigate, and really long to have to sit through. Just get me to the damn show. Course this applies to many a DVD as well!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rick-

In actuality, the menus don't take that long. It starts with a shot of the turbo lift and Shatner's voice as Kirk saying "Bridge". I can bypass this by hitting the skip forward button. Then the main menu loads and it's really fast to scroll through the episodes once you know the routine. It's faster then the last SD box set as you don't have to sit and wait for all the menu stuff to load.

The only confusing part of the menu was where to find the Fly-by the Enterprise feature on the 10th disc.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised at the delay, postponement, cancelation, whatever. ;) Yesterday's Paramount press release touting their Q1 HD DVD plans didn't do much to "wow" me, and I said to myself if ST: TOS S2 holds to its 3/25 release date that will show me how committed to HD DVD Paramount is at them moment. Now it's possible that this news isn't directly related to recent format war developments in Blu-ray Discs favor, but I think one would unwise to dismiss that possibility all the same.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'll be holding off as well, at least until all three seasons are out! looks like I won't be getting that free phaser remote! Things are just too iffy right now.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

You would shoot yourself in the eye anyway Ric. Thanks Nelson for the information above. I have to say being able to "look" at the Enterprise on that 10th disc would be my favorite part for sure from the screen grabs of it i saw!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hmmm... The article said that it was pushed back due to more time needed to produce these. There was nothing in the article that even hinted a possibilty of cancellation.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I can personally confirm this.

When I attended the screening of The Menagerie last November in Burbank, I mentioned to the project manager at the production house (which'll remain unnamed) that I heard that CBS would be releasing S2 in Mar/Apr. He responded (paraphrase here) that "It wasn't likely since they've barely begun creating the supplements for the set."

There you have it.

We should also keep in mind that even IF Paramount switches to BD, CBS probably will still have the option of completing and releasing all 3 seasons on HD-DVD regardless. CBS is said to be quite happy with the sales and progress of the project thus far on HD-DVD

I do believe we'll eventually see all three seasons on HD-DVD and look forward to picking them up.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there are rumors that the superman returns with trueHD and pcm can be found at best buy. check your local store.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks