What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 1 coming to BD in May-what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the added clarity Douglas!

That's amazing that the original negatives, if they were used all these years to make prints, has survived so well. The remastered live action shot on the HD-DVD's of S1 and new SD remastered S2 and S3 really look impressive.

I'll have another look at Conscience of the King!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I see 3 ways this could be interpreted..........

1. Simply the old fairly dirty prints included in SD as a bonus.....

2. The newly cleaned-up prints in SD with the old FX OR.........

3. The newly cleaned up prints in HD with the old FX

The third option would be the best case but would have to involve branching and Paramount HAS NEVER done branching on any Blu-ray release and won't do so for the upcoming movies...

I really with they'd clarify this when the official announcemnet is made.
I'm afraid they'll simply re-state the fact the original versions are included without saying in what format or in what shape.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Or the Remastered prints in HD with original effects on separate discs. I guess that takes up more discs.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
^^Yes you're right, separate discs would be a fourth option, but wouldn't that mean about 16 discs mimimum !!!!

Four episodes per disc---8 for HD with the new FX & 8 for HD with the old FX.

I can't imagine what a 16 disc set would cost from Paramount:eek:

Or wait option 5...........double sided discs again !!!:crazy:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I interpret the press release to mean that we'll see the remastered versions along with the unremastered that we already have on dvd. But that's just me. I'm of the school that thinks the old dvds looked pretty good.

Really, I don't think I'd be missing out on life if the BluRay only contained the remastered versions. I already have the oldies on dvd; don't care or need to buy them again.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Only four per disc? Ideally, but in the TV releases from WB they've been putting 3 episodes on single-layer discs or as many as 7 on a double-layered disc. (My only other TV release is Torchwood, which isn't exactly a typical American release case. ;))

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I'd be great if they went to at least 5 per disc-----then we could get season 1 down to 6 discs. As long as it doesn't affect quality, I'm for it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
To contrast, the HD-DVD of Star Trek S1 has 3 episodes per disc and thee were 10 discs! I don't know how that translates from HD-DVD to Blu Ray's higher storage capacity and what of the extra features like Starfleet Access will be ported over and converted to work on BD.

The SD-DVD of Season 2 are on 7 discs with 4 episodes per disc. Season 3 is on 8 discs. No doubt for the addition of the 2 versions of The Cage.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not sure I follow Zack. You mean they spread out the episodes on the standard def side because they were limited on the SD side? And as combo discs, the standard side can't hold as much?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, shows like Lost and Heroes have 5 episodes per Blu-ray disc so I'd imagine that this release could do at least that many too. Although I guess that could vary based on where and how the original versions are on there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Travis, I also wonder though, Star Trek episodes are 51 minutes long and modern shows are 42 minutes. I wonder if those 9 minutes or so will make that much difference in how much they can fit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^I suppose that's possible but they fit 7 (!) episodes on one of the discs of Supernatural: Season Three Blu-ray set and, to my eyes, there was no problem with quality. The show only has a DD 5.1 track but I would think that if they can fit 7 episodes on one disc then there shouldn't be a problem with the Trek episodes running a little longer than today's shows.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
It will to a point--5 episodes will be as long as 6 episodes of a normal show. But other discs have managed more, and at full frame size.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Very cool. I'll buy it all. But it will be over a long time period since I just picked up the SD for everything over the past 6 years or so.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes, i think that is what he meant and I hope he is right. I hope we get the 5 per disc at least.

For folks who own various TV series on Blu-ray......

How many hour long episodes do they fit onto discs usually??

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I just looked up Smallvile season 7.............

20 episodes on 3 discs !!!! 6 or 7 to a disc ??? Holy cow!

The TOS Trek episodes are 51 minutes long and the smallville maybe only 43, but still that would allow at least 5 trek episodes per disc---
Go for it Pramount---less is sometimes better!!

Whoops, didn't read some of the previous posts---it's already been stated they get up to 6 or 7 modern shows per disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks