What's new

Star Trek TOS on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Star Trek DVD news: Star Trek - Season 1 on Blu-ray | TVShowsOnDVD.com

I might as well begin this thread now since this is the first announcement I've seen about Star Trek TOS coming on Blu-ray in May, timed to the launch of the movie, of course.

Sad to say, for my wallet, I haven't even gotten around to screening my original DVD season sets of the show, but I will have to get these. But it is a particularly smart marketing move to include the original versions (for purists) as well as the re-mastered versions of each episode.

Will all you other fans be going Blu for this release? I suppose it might be smarter to wait for the complete TOS series set on Blu-ray in one package at a discounted price, but some of us blasphemers really do try and avoid the third season.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The last pass I took at collecting ST:TOS was with the 2-episode disc collections from 10 years ago or so, and having recently purchased a Blu-ray player and loving every minute of it, I am happily double-dipping with this set.
In my opinion, this is the ultimate collection, the very best way to enjoy the series for die-hard fans. You get both versions of the episodes, and most likely the extras from the SD season sets will be ported over as well (and maybe perhaps some new stuff?)

Can't wait!

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I am by no means a Trek fan, but I grew up watching the reruns on the CBC, so I have fond memories of the show. I'll likely buy the Blu-ray sets because I'm sure the show will look fantastic (cheap sets and all) on HD. I prefer the original 60s version, but I'm curious about the remastered FX. Having checked the episodes on tv.com I see that there a number of really bad episodes (Spock's Brain immediately comes to mind), but even the bad episodes are entertaining in a kitschy way.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm not sure if I will ever purchase these. I'm perfectly satisfied with the DVDs I now own, and I think many of the defects that are existent in the original prints would be augmented in an unnatural way in Blu-ray. (For my own part, I liken it in some ways to how a CD, for all of the positives inherent in the format, can often times produce an 'unreal' aural performance.) But if I ever do purchase a Blue-ray of anything, TOS would be the first one I would purchase.

BTW, I love season three, and have no problems with any of the episodes from that season. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Will they be revamping them as was done for the HD DVD season 1 set? My recollection was that Toshiba was funding that and I doubt very much Toshiba will be inclined to do that for Blu-ray.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
All the effects were done at HD resolution for the syndicated run. What Toshiba was funding, IIRC, was all the HDi extras and encoding (the pop-up stuff, which was a very nice example of how well that sort of extra can be done). Paramount is likely doing porting the Season One stuff and doing the S2 & S3 stuff themselves.

Anyway, I'll be holding off until Season 2, since it would likely be an expensive upgrade over my HD DVDs, especially if the original versions of the episodes are only SD. But, yes, I'll be all over them - the HD DVD version of Season 1 is fantastic.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree that the covers are generic, but the studio might be looking to avoid cast member pictures so as not to discourage the new audience they are hoping to bring in with the new movie.

Do we yet know if the original and remastered episodes are included?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I think the UK article mentioned that both versions would be included, but this being Paramount, I wouldn't be surprised if the "original effects" versions are in standard (DVD) resolution only (i.e. just straight port-overs from the earlier DVDs). Would be their typical cost-cutting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
And that would be the episode that tips the scale in favor of my purchasing the set. ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Yes, because the original season sets on DVD had such huge images of the cast and the ship. ;)

No, Sam's right...the idea is to not show the cast or the ship, just the Starfleet logo that is iconic to all the Jim/Spock/Bones incarnations of the series, so as to best tie in these releases with the new JJ Abrams film.

The ship and the cast faces change a bit in the new movie, but those logos remain the same! :D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

My original season set DVD has Kirk and Spock framed prominently in the front window of the plastic case, which is about as conpicuous as you can get.

But I can understand how, from a sterile marketing decision, it makes sense to emphasize a lifeless insignia instead of a character for the continuity of the franchise, and at the expense of any nostalgia. They've already milked boomers for all they're worth, so try to lure a newer audience, and don't show them anything or anyone they might think is dated or lame.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
They could release it on fairy dust and I couldn't enjoy it more than when I watched it on a lousy TV in the 70s. A re-release is a re-release is a re-release. I couldn't be more content with my discs. But then I've actually watched them. A great show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
FYI- We've been discussing this in the HTF Hi-Def Software section!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The main issue we've been hoping is true is the original episodes as aired are included as hi-def with the original optical effects and titles music. That would make this release the more desirable. You can read it here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ow-so-far.html

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sounds like both the original episodes and the remasters will be on these discs, in 1080p.

Great move by the studio. Certainly insures that many of us will upgrade.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Yes, here's the official information from The Digital Bits about the April 28th release of Star Trek TOS on Blu-ray. Both versions will be on the discs, and the original version episodes will be full screen 1080p, as well.

My Two Cents - Archived Posts (2/16/09 - 2/13/09)

And it looks like the European box art is the same for the U.S. release. Some of the motion picture covers are featured here, as well.

And, sure, this thread belongs in this section on classic television where most Star Trek fans would be looking and not in something as generically titled as HD software.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Well, no, as this section is entitled "SD DVD - TV Shows and TV Movies" and a Blu-ray is in no way shape or form a SD DVD.

"HD software" is hardly generic--it's very specific, and the only section here where Blu-ray discussion belongs.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

There are no Blu-rays or DVDs in the software section at my local Best Buy, or probably any other B&M I know of and that fans of DVDs frequent. If you're looking for Blu-rays or DVDs of televison you will find them in the ... wait for it ... DVD section, and under TV Shows. But then, I don't think like an engineer, I'm just a consumer and a classic TV fan.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Jay (and everyone else), I'd like to point out that last August there was a four-way discussion between Ron and Parker, and Gord and myself. Ron said he had a concern with this very thing. I hope he won't mind me quoting his e-mail to us:

"I could use your help on this. Right now all BD material is being posted in the BD area specifically. Should we post all BD TV product in the sDVD TV forum? Perhaps we should. We could also just expand the description of our current BD area to include TV, but I think that might take away activity from a TV forum that is working in conjunction with your site."

The "Insider's Area" was recently created at that time, and one solution discussed was to move all TV discussions, SD or BD, to a "TVShowsOnDVD" section of an insider's area. Neither Gord nor I thought that this was a good idea, though, because we didn't want to move TV discussion away from this rather firmly-established area. I think Ron was just trying to be nice enough to extend an offer for our own "insider" area, in any case.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Here is an abbreviated version of my (as-always wordy) reply to Ron:

"We don't need our own "Insider's" area, because the TV-on-DVD area seems to do just fine. Then again, it could potentially be a solution to the issue of "where do people go when they want to talk about TV releases, that are on both standard DVD and on BD?" On the third hand, if it's a film in question, like Iron Man for instance, then people will go to the DVD area to talk about it, unless they go to the BD area to talk about the hi-def version. So I ask myself "why should TV be any different?" Probably best in the end to leave everything just the way it is. It seems to be working well enough; just a tad bit of confusion for the BDs...but right now it's hand-able."

Gord agreed, stating that "I'd rather see the TV section stay the way it is, with BDs added in to keep everything in one place."

Ron agreed with that solution, saying that BD discussion of TV shows would be welcome in the SD area (this section) if that's where the users decided to put it, and that it would also be fine in the BD Software section.

Neither Gord nor I get to hang out at HTF any more as much as we want...there's so much going on. I've been showing up a bit lately, but I know that it will tail off again soon. So, speaking for myself, I only check out the TV section (this one) whenever I do visit; although I love Blu-ray and I've always loved movie releases in standard def, too...you just don't see my name on posts in those sections because I never make it to them. I do lurk in the Bargain forum, specifically the Weekly Roundup (because I founded it years ago, before retiring and passing the baton to Mr. Frezon, and because Mike's work on it saves me money, of course!). But if you want me to discuss a TV release, SD or BD, better talk about it over here. I suspect Gord is the same way, but don't take my word for it...better ask him.

But yeah, unless something's changed in the past six months, Ron's cool with TV-on-BD discussions in this area. I doubt it will change until the TV-BD genre ramps up to be significantly larger than it is. Until then, I'm pretty sure that talking about it in either part of the HTF is cool enough with the owners...unless they say otherwise. :D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Thanks for the background information and clarification, David. Like you and Gord, I pretty much just head for the TV Shows section as my primary interest, so I wouldn't have thought to look for a show, BD or otherwise, somewhere else. But I respect that option, even if I don't look there.

And, as far as I know, Star Trek is the first classic TV show to get the BD treatment, but I hope for some others (The Outer Limits is due for a serious upgrade if anyone is listening?) And I expect to see other more recent BD TV show talk in here as other BD adopters come aboard (I think we did Mad Men already).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks